It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:51 pm 
Field Grade

I have a new Remington v3 coming next week....I want to take it apart and clean it before I shoot it.....Just wondering what product you like to clean a new gun ?
thanks
Jack

Post subject: Re: Cleaning ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remoil. It is a CLP.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 pm 
Field Grade

There is a comprehensive rust prevention and lubrication test posted on this site, where the blogger tested identical samples of cold rolled steel - all treated with competing CLPs - left outside and sprayed with saltwater daily.

My youngest son replicated that test for his science fair project this year, and got similar results. Nothing even came close to protecting like Froglube. Even after a week in snow and rain and salt spray, the Froglube-protected steel was unblemished. It is a pain to apply but I like they way it gets down into the porous / rough surface of modern field-grade shotguns.

There are some websites on the ‘net that claim Froglube is nothing more than coconut oil with some additives for color and smell and my son’s tests back that up. We did a secondary test as a “Froglube vs. coconut oil shoot off” and they performed exactly the same. So I guess you could save money and just use coconut oil. :)

For a traditional oil I like Breakfree CLP and it protected very well in my son’s test.

With all due respect I cannot recommend Remoil as a rust preventative. It actually seemed to accelerate the rusting process in our test. The piece of steel treated with Remoil rusted in less than a day, and rusted faster than the untreated “control” piece of metal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everyone......I did read that test but was just wondering what people liked.....The test was a little above my understanding.....LOL
Thanks
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Remoil is not a Cleaner/Lubricant/Preservative. It is a lube and that is about it.
"Remoil With 'Moistureguard'", isn't much better, yet is supposed to compete with CLP.

Advertizing is wonderful, actual CLP has served me flawlessly for 3 decades now.

Use a solvent to get all the mfr's preservative out of the gun, that stuff is shelf-sitting corrosion preventative, not lubricant.
A lot of aerosol solvents eat plastic and camoflage dip coatings, they don't harm bluing or polyurethane coated wood.

After that, I use Break Free CLP, on pretty much everything.
Everything runs when I pick it up and load it, and none of it rusts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I use Hornady One Shot on my V3 to clean/lube the breech, bolt assembly and trigger group. I wipe down the exterior metal with Ballistol. I use Rem All In bore cleaner with the Remington Squeeg-e for the bore.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

For metal parts, brake cleaner is cheap and very effective; then follow with a good lube/ruse preventer. Otherwise any good solvent to clean the gunk off should work.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Degreaser followed by oil--you can even just dissolve the grease with WD-40. I hate CLP. I tried the Safariland after everyone raved about it, but I really don't like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Clenzoil and WD-40 is a great de-greaser for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I have become a recent believer in Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lube. I tried it after Randy Wakeman recommended it and he is right. It is incredible stuff. I tried it first on my carry pistol and it is perfect for that because it keeps everything almost dry. Makes clean up after shooting very easy. I was a Breakfree CLP guy for many years but have now switched completely to the Hornady product. It is now my go-to product for any semi auto shotgun or pistol. I just wish it was a bit cheaper but it does go a long way if used properly. Try it, and I think you too will be convinced. You will also find that it makes the requirement for future cleanings on your V3 even less. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

Clenzoil, or ballistol if you prefer non toxic. VERY light coat on all metal inside and out. A drop or two of FP10 for lubricant at the friction points.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
I have become a recent believer in Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Lube. I tried it after Randy Wakeman recommended it and he is right. It is incredible stuff. I tried it first on my carry pistol and it is perfect for that because it keeps everything almost dry. Makes clean up after shooting very easy. I was a Breakfree CLP guy for many years but have now switched completely to the Hornady product. It is now my go-to product for any semi auto shotgun or pistol. I just wish it was a bit cheaper but it does go a long way if used properly. Try it, and I think you too will be convinced. You will also find that it makes the requirement for future cleanings on your V3 even less. Good Luck!

The warnings about toxicity for One Shot are a bit of a turnoff...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

stockranger wrote:
oyeme wrote:

The warnings about toxicity for One Shot are a bit of a turnoff...

Find me something today that doesn't have toxicity warnings............