CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AYA Yeoman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Any info out there on this gun?

All I've been able to gather is that it is a cheaper cousin to AYA's other sxs shotguns. Most of what I've been able to find is that the model had typical game gun layout, extractors, is exclusive to Britain, and that used prices there run 100 to 300 sterling. Any idea of the wood, engraving (lack thereof), finish, funtion, etc. compared to AYA's other models. What prices would such a gun fetch in the U.S.?

Post subject: Re: AYA Yeoman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't have a Yeoman (never even seen one) but I do have a Matador, which is similar. They are probably based on the same action, with differences in fit and finish, and maybe in single trigger vs. double, ejector vs. extractor, etc.

These guns are much better than the rest of the cheap Spanish SxS's of the 1950's through 70's, that have such a bad reputation. During those difficult times for the SxS makers, AyA produced some cheap guns, but they never made a bad gun. The Matador and Yeoman are very plain, but strong, durable, good shooters. They were engraved with a cold chisel, and the stocks were made of Mother-of-toilet-seat wood, but they do a good job in the field.

The Yeoman is not listed in the Blue Book, probably because it was never widely distributed in the USA. A Matador would run $300-550, and a Yeoman should be less.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:18 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Before he died, Don Shrum of Cape Outfitters, always had several AYA Yoemans for sale, sometimes as low as $200 and $250.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

An AYA Yeoman is the very basic grade SXS from AYA.

The difference between this and the majority of other AYA sxs are :-
1). No ejectors but has extractors,
2). No disc set strikers
3). No split floor action plate
4) No engraving other than makers marks.

The gun was finished in colour case, with a plastic / bakelite heel plate, weighed around 6lbs 8oz to 6lbs 12 oz - usually had 28" barrels with a raised file cut rib. Fairly plain functional wood. Some had a beaver-tail forend and pistol grip, but most were english shs. The gun was based on an english sxs - probably Birmingham built. An excellent, very reliable work horse of a shotgun.

Usually see them in GB auctions for around £40 to £50 if your lucky or on dealers racks for £150 ish - all dependant on condition

jonty