It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Kent Bismuth Load avail this summer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

So Kent has a Bismuth load available this July, 25 rds/box this time. I'd be curious as to the price pt of this one... Hope everyone's having a good spring.

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair. Columbia, MO (9/12/08)

Post subject: Re: New Kent Bismuth Load avail this summer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 pm 
Utility Grade

macks prairie wings and midway shows them on their website listing. $35-$45 a box just not in stock yet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm interested in the 3''20 gauge loads they are going to have as they have more velocity than the current 2 3/4" listed. I think the # 4 will be my first choice what chokes do you think will be good for bismuth loads ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I remember correctly, the general recommendation is to choke Bismuth like lead. The pattern board will tell you for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think I will start out with a modified choke and see how it looks when the ammo becomes available later this year. I have never tried bismuth before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

Last summer I did some pattern testing with it. A sample shell cut open revealed the shot size was almost a size small, i.e their 4 shot measures as 5. Shot was consistently spherical. Patterned very well and like lead in my Carlson’s choke.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never used bismuth before either, but a friend gave me two full boxes of these early Winchester brand Bismuth Cartridge Co. 3" 20ga shells, 1 1/16 oz. #5. I'll probably try them in my 11-87 for early teal season or wood ducks and will likely use a modified choke. I also want to try the new Kent Bismuth 12ga loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

I also see that they are available in #3 shot size so if they are smaller then they may be about #4 lead size ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

lossking wrote:
I've never used bismuth before either, but a friend gave me two full boxes of these early Winchester brand Bismuth Cartridge Co. 3" 20ga shells, 1 1/16 oz. #5. I'll probably try them in my 11-87 for early teal season or wood ducks and will likely use a modified choke. I also want to try the new Kent Bismuth 12ga loads.

Those will be kinda brittle and tend to fracture. The new stuff won't. The new #4 and #5 Bismuth is the ticket for sub gauge Waterfowl. Treat it like lead mod & full are your best friends. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm 
Field Grade

la angler wrote:
I also see that they are available in #3 shot size so if they are smaller then they may be about #4 lead size ?

There shouldn’t be a different “lead size” vs. “bismuth size”. If using American nomenclature they should both measure the same, averaging at .13” for #4 shot. But the Kent bismuth just runs a little small, that’s all.

Yes I see that this year they are available in bigger shot sizes. I would definitely go for #3. Cut one open and mic’ it. If measures as 4 shot then not the end of the world for ducks and close geese. If it measures as #3 then there ain’t nuthin wrong with that either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

DustinG0918 wrote:
macks prairie wings and midway shows them on their website listing. $35-$45 a box just not in stock yet

Thx!

"Stand up Chuck, let 'em see ya!" – Jackass Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair. Columbia, MO (9/12/08)