It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Budget doubles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, I'm beginning to explore options for a "new" (to me anyway) double barrel shotgun. I currently only own pumps and gas guns, and need a break action for dog training and hunt tests. I may use this gun for hunting as well, but that isn't necessarily the primary purpose.

What am I looking for?

Reliable
New or used.
Under 1k, preferably closer to 600
26 or 28" barrels.
Single trigger (not a deal breaker)
Removable chokes
OU or SxS
12 or 16ga (if on a 16ga frame)

I would love a straight grip 16ga SxS with removable chokes, but I'm not sure such an animal exists within my budget...

Any suggestions what to look for? What to stay away from?

Post subject: Re: Budget doubles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stay away from guns made in Turkey, Brazil, Russia, the Philippines, and older guns made in Spain or Belgium.

You’re not likely to find something that meets all of your criteria at that price point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:18 pm 
Field Grade

My Turkish CZ has been flawless, I don't care how many people tell me otherwise..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Stay away from guns made in Turkey, Brazil, Russia, the Philippines, and older guns made in Spain or Belgium.

You’re not likely to find something that meets all of your criteria at that price point.

Interestingly enough, I've heard too many good things about the Turkish Huglu shotguns. I don't think I'd shy from one...

As for the other imports, what brands would they fall under?

What is our there for "true" 16ga guns? I would LOVE to add a 16 to my safe, but if I'm going to get a 16, I want a 16ga (or 20ga) frame and 16ga barrel blanks. I would pay more for a purpose built 16 than a 12. I would not be interested in a 16 that is 12ga weight.

Obviously the ideal world, and real world seldom converge. I am willing to compromise on some things. A double trigger would not be a deal breaker for me, but would take an adjustment. I have fired double trigger guns before, but I am left handed, and have also in the past accidentally fired both barrels as the rear trigger is usually offset to the left and my index finger tends to ride on the edge of it... Follow up shots are quite difficult when you blow both barrels at once. LOL

Fixed chokes would not be a deal breaker, as long as the tight choke was no tighter than mod.

Reliability and budget are first and foremost.

Last edited by freak007 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Older AyA made for Sears should fit your bill; but go over it with a fine-toothed comb

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 am 
Field Grade

If you are looking for cheap and functional then you can pick up one of the Zenith Tedna (Huglu) shotguns from CDNN for about 400 shipped. Ive been impressed with the three I've handled and shot. They aren't B guns but they seem to shoot pretty good.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms/sho ... xfEykgvzrc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:34 am 
Crown Grade

If fixed chokes are not a deal-breaker, then look at the Japanese-made SKB's. Those, in 12 gauges, will hit every one of your other "wants" .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

freak007 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I've heard too many good things about the Turkish Huglu shotguns. I don't think I'd shy from one...

You've heard the echo chamber on their sub-forum. Have you read the dozens of threads in the other forums from upset owners who had their brand new guns fail?

freak007 wrote:

All.of.them. Don't buy any gun made in those countries unless you're prepared to flush away the money.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
If fixed chokes are not a deal-breaker, then look at the Japanese-made SKB's. Those, in 12 gauges, will hit every one of your other "wants" .

If the SKB double guns now are the same quality as the basic field Model 500 I bought back in `74 when they were building them for Ithaca, they are absolutely terrific guns. Don`t think you`ll hit your price point, though, unless you can find one used.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:

If the SKB double guns now are the same quality as the basic field Model 500 I bought back in `74 when they were building them for Ithaca, they are absolutely terrific guns. Don`t think you`ll hit your price point, though, unless you can find one used.

Since I specified "Japanese-made" SKB's and not the Turkish-made versions, they will only be bought used. And how many sub-$1000, fixed choke, Japanese-made SKB's would you like to buy? There are 6 on Gunbroker, right now, for less than $1000.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

Since I specified "Japanese-made" SKB's and not the Turkish-made versions, they will only be bought used. And how many sub-$1000, fixed choke, Japanese-made SKB's would you like to buy? There are 6 on Gunbroker, right now, for less than $1000.

I most humbly stand corrected. Thought he preferred around 600.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I am willing to compromise on some things. A double trigger would not be a deal breaker for me, but would take an adjustment. I have fired double trigger guns before, but I am left handed, and have also in the past accidentally fired both barrels as the rear trigger is usually offset to the left and my index finger tends to ride on the edge of it... Follow up shots are quite difficult when you blow both barrels at once. LOL

I am LH as well; first time firing any gun other than a .22 was a 12 double and I did that as well. Shied away from them (and passed up GREAT deals) for almost 40 years until I got talked into buying the S&W Elite Gold on closeout. Took me all of three shots to remeber to switch triggers.
Personally, I find the RH SxS to be most LH friendly - your finger slides back tot he back trigger without having to maneuver around the trigger or get your knuckle busted like a RH shooter often has happen.

If you find one with tight fixed chokes, they can be easily opened up to something more suitable.

How much actual shooting will you be doing during your training and tests? There are several makers, most likely above $600 but below $1K that will work.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101013027

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100939854

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100916891

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100768321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

drsfmd wrote:
freak007 wrote:

You've heard the echo chamber on their sub-forum. Have you read the dozens of threads in the other forums from upset owners who had their brand new guns fail?

freak007 wrote:

All.of.them. Don't buy any gun made in those countries unless you're prepared to flush away the money.

Find those "dozens of threads" from this decade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm 
Crown Grade

It would be wonderful if there was a good $500 O/U shotgun, a delicious $1 hamburger or a durable $3000 pickup truck. However, it's really hard to grow beef that cheaply, let alone process it, cook it and serve it on a bun and clean plate for a dollar. O/U shotguns are quite complicated to make well and their popularity keeps good ones bringing good money, and cheep ones a gamble. A new 3/4 ton pickup is in the $50,000 to $60,000 range today... But a good $1000 to $1500 shotgun will out last several of those trucks. Use your common sense when looking for a good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

SxS, for training and hunt tests try an older Stevens, probably a 5100.
They work fine and have passed the test of time. Real gunsmiths can make the occasional needed repairs, parts replacers will call them a wall hanger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:25 am 
Crown Grade

Buy used. Buy a reputable brand. Buy good condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had a similar want, albeit my budget was higher and I almost always buy new so I can put the first handling mark in it!

In any case after a very poor experience with the Dickinson Custom Shop, I bought a Rizzini FAIR 16 gauge Isede.

28" Barrels
Single Trigger
Screw In Chokes
Straight English Grip

Check with John Boyd at Quality Arms in Houston. He may have some used ones.

So far I am happy with mine.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:42 am 
Crown Grade

I’ve got 2 CZ’s, made by Huglu. One was defective and was sent back. CZ customer service was incredible and I had a new gun in a week. The other gun, a SxS 20, is a joy to shoot and has had no problems.

So I agree that a Huglu is a gamble, but one I’m willing to take with CZ standing behind it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also had great luck and Customer Service with a CZ 28 gauge SxS. They do have the Sharptail now in 16 gauge, but still only with fixed chokes?