It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 Ga Nitro Express Loaders Treat.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

The 20 gauge .575 RB load needs to set up like this:
Watch the picture carefully and follow.
We can't afford to make mistakes.
The components that we are using are made for shotshell and not specially made for our " Nitro Express Heavy loads "
By reinforcing the wads with nitro cards we are adopting them for heavier loads and protecting them from failures.
There is no rocket science here, just good old common sense along with your own sixth sense ! !
Pay attention to your own sixth sense, it will guide you ! !

Please note I find the 20 ga hulls not so sturdy, mostly Ok.
**--** Here 1/2 gr more powder turned the 20 ga hot load into a cut shell.
I found them at times bulging at the last crimping stage and had to use a plastic ring from " Home Depot " to help support the hull at the last stage.
I follow common sense rules to help out when I did get a bulge:

**--** Never ever deviate from the load and no matter how much you trust a friend always drop the charge by three grains then load one shell at a time and keep coming up the charge by .5 grains, now shoot them in that order one at a time and carefully watch for pressure or extraction signs before you proceed to the next shell with higher up charge.
This you do for your own safety and because you love your family ! !
Learn to read pressure signs:
**--**The big Ammo manufacturers pushing the loading envelope beyond the safety limits, they don't care about your safety ! !

When developing newer loads always use newer Fiocchi hull as they tend to show pressure signs early on for safety and once your load is developed switch over to newer Federal hull for hunting for a smoother action when the golden moment comes for that trophy you don't want the gun to mail function ! !

Pressure is our friend. Higher pressures lead to more consistent, cleaner burning loads.
** Roll crimping produces lower pressures due to less resistance from the roll crimp.

Wise Tip's for Nito Express Slug loader's, Old is still Gold ! !

" Old is Gold " the old theory still goes, accuracy from a shotgun slug is a function of two things

1. A good gas seal.

2. Centering the slug in the bore with a snug fit through out the barrel.

Achieve those two and you can shoot as well as many big game heavy rifles.

Since efficiency and accuracy is our prime goal, we need all components to Rhyme with one another and work together hand in hands.

Saboted Slugs are more aerodynamic, because they are encased in a bore-filling, fall-away plastic sleeve ( the Sabot ) which allows the shotgun to shoot a much more efficient projectile.

Let's make the right choices:

1. Choose your components wisely to custom tailor your loads for efficiency!

2. We need good quality straight walled hulls that are made strong enough to SAAMI
specification's but will show pressure sign's after a certain pressure level is reached for safety!

3. Very important to know that certain powders require A Magnum Primer like Alliant Steel for
example, needs a Fed.209A or CCI.209M!
Stick with only top name brand primer's that are made to SAAMI specification's like Fed. 209,
CCI 209, Win. 209 and Fio.616 only for regular primer's for our slug / sabot loads.

4. Very important, your OP wad must form a good barrier between the powder gases and the
rest of your wad column, therefore your wad under ideal situation should have longer skirts
and if your gun has longer forcing cone all the more important for sealing powder gases!

There goes your load efficiency down the drain:

5. Let's give it some solid support, add a stronger darker nitro card to transmit the driving forces
evenly, when ever possible try to incorporate a .250" nitro card in between.

6. When ever possible try adding a good Felt wad of 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch to help reduce the felt recoil!
I really love the darker felt fiber wads as they are made well and perform great, but are almost 2 1/2 to 3 time more costlier when compared to the cheaper felt wads from Circle Fly on the right!

7. Top your Felt wad with a stronger darker nitro card, is like giving it a solid foundation to
transmit the driving forces evenly and help support the Sabot from below to keep plasma gas
blow-by from melting the Sabots!

8. Your Sabots with the proper bullet should be a real tight fit in your rifled barrel and a properly
designed sabot should not tag along for a free ride piggy back, instead should release the bullet
immediately and drop off in the first 10 to 25 yard line and not any further!

**When it comes to smooth bore then your slug in wad needs to be a snug fit enough to require
6 to 8 lbs pressure to push it through with a wooden dowel and if any more then your pressure's are sure to be high!

Watch out for your safety comes first!

9. It is very important that you seat the slug all the way home, use 50 to 60 lbs wad pressure to ensure that.

10. Try using a harder alloys for casting your slugs for use in Sabots, this way you reduce any chances of distortion at setback when fired allowing the slug to maintain its shape!

11. A fold crimp will further enhance ignition as the pressures are known to be much higher with fold crimp, you also need a bit less powder this way!

12. A clean cut rifling will engage the Slug / Sabot far better and impart the required spin for stability in flight for a greater gyroscopic stability that are harder to knock of course, and thus produce massive centrifugal force to help release the bullet instantly from the sabot.

13. Under ideal hunting situation all you fire is one shot, in some cases may be two the most.
Does it not make sense to do all your slug testing from a cold barrel and fire two shots to see how well your gun holds the accuracy under ideal hunting situation!
When testing Slugs or Sabots, three shot group is all you need and pause between shots to let the barrel cool down a bit!

14. Most loads are more accurate when you tone them down by 2 to 3 gr below Max, and the recoil is easy to digest and won't kick like a mule, that will help you shoot better!

Have the knowledge and exposure to " push the loading envelope" to the Max!

Knowledge not shared, is knowledge lost!

**--** My opinions are my own. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)
Above all I really enjoyed writing this post!

Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

Post subject: Re: 20 Ga Nitro Express Loaders Treat.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ajay,

I clicked on this post out of curiosity, and I want to state right up front that I do not reload slugs, and am very ignorant of many of its intricacies. However, all I have ever learned about shot shell reloading has quite a few alarm bells going off from your post.

There are several instances where you appear to be looking for signs of high pressures the same way you would with metallic reloading. However, the pressures found in shot shell reloading do not cause these symptoms to appear until long after safety pressure ceilings have been violated. In other words, you do not get the primer cratering & flattening with shot shells that you see with pistol & rifle rounds.

You allude to choosing primers based on the powder being used. Primers should be selected based on the recipe being used. If it calls for a Federal primer use it, if it calls for a Winchester primer, that is what should be used. Primers should not be considered interchangeable.

You also mention 'choosing your components wisely to custom tailor loads for efficiency'. Again, choose the components that the recipe calls for and do not deviate.

The only safe way that i know if to 'work up a load', is to have it tested. You cannot work up loads like you do with pistol and rifle reloading. You cannot swap components with impunity.

As I stated, perhaps there is a whole side to slug reloading that I do not know about and I stand ready to learn. I also may be reading more into your comments than is accurate, but my first impression is that you may not be following some of the basic safety rules of reloading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

stripersonfly wrote:
Ajay,

I clicked on this post out of curiosity, and I want to state right up front that I do not reload slugs, and am very ignorant of many of its intricacies. However, all I have ever learned about shot shell reloading has quite a few alarm bells going off from your post.

There are several instances where you appear to be looking for signs of high pressures the same way you would with metallic reloading. However, the pressures found in shot shell reloading do not cause these symptoms to appear until long after safety pressure ceilings have been violated. In other words, you do not get the primer cratering & flattening with shot shells that you see with pistol & rifle rounds.

You allude to choosing primers based on the powder being used. Primers should be selected based on the recipe being used. If it calls for a Federal primer use it, if it calls for a Winchester primer, that is what should be used. Primers should not be considered interchangeable.

You also mention 'choosing your components wisely to custom tailor loads for efficiency'. Again, choose the components that the recipe calls for and do not deviate.

The only safe way that i know if to 'work up a load', is to have it tested. You cannot work up loads like you do with pistol and rifle reloading. You cannot swap components with impunity.

As I stated, perhaps there is a whole side to slug reloading that I do not know about and I stand ready to learn. I also may be reading more into your comments than is accurate, but my first impression is that you may not be following some of the basic safety rules of reloading.

Slug reloading is a whole different game. You say there’s no sign of overpressure in shot guns before it’s too late. That simply isn’t true. I have quite a few pics of my personal load workups where I’ve had primer flow-back, extractor marks, and hard extractions, so if you know what to look for, it’s there.

Shotgun reloading, buckshot and slugs in particular, is what more difficult to reload for accuracy than metallic. One component change could make or break accuracy.

But what about pressure being affect by components, you ask? Well mordern shotguns can withstand way more pressure than SAAMI specs. “Dr. Shotgun” was contracted by Remington to how much pressure a barrel could take before if failed. Remington barrels failed at 55kpsi. Nothing AJay or I reload anywhere near that, however you must know what to look for with shotgun over pressure. Contrary to popular belief, for instances, if the Lyman manual calls of a standard primer for a specific load and you use a magnum primer, it’s not gonna blow your gun up. Never had. Never will.

AJay is one of the pioneers in ‘wildcat’ Slug reloading and I can assure you that his results is from years of safe practices and knowing what to look for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

One more thing to add, as you know as a reloader, it’s impossible to list every possible combination with both shotshell and Slug reloading. If you’re that worried, just stick to what little data Lyman manual has on Slug reloading and pray that your time and effort results is useable accuracy.

For instances, I developed an accurate load with hammerhead slugs that wasn’t listed with published load data from SlugsRus. I submitted my results, they tested it out, and now that load recipe is now published with their 12 ga hammerhead slugs. We would of never found that out if it wasn’t for wildcatters like myself and AJay.

Wildcatting slugs isn’t for the faint of heart, but it’s not a myster, either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bloodtrail,

Thank you for your posts explaining this side of slug reloading. I am not sure I fully agree with what you have written, but it is interesting to hear the challenges you and Ajay face trying to create accurate slug loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

It’s a difficult, but rewarding challenge. If you are own Facebook, I have a page dedicated to buckshot and Slug casting and reloading called Buck and Slug reloaders. We’re sponsored by Ballistic Products and members get a discount on shipping. Lots of good info there. A couple popular shotgun YouTube’s are active contributors to my page.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

It’s a difficult, but rewarding challenge. If you are on Facebook, I have a page dedicated to buckshot and Slug casting and reloading called Buck and Slug reloaders. We’re sponsored by Ballistic Products and members get a discount on shipping. Lots of good info there. A couple popular shotgun YouTube’s are active contributors to my page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Good Morning, I have been working on the powder identification and could use your help and feed back as to how would you describe these powders, in your way of thinking ? ?

**--** If one of you could take the 20 gauge Lyman slug in wad and put it in every 20 ga wad available and measure the slug and wad like this:

One of the bullet we had chosen for our Blazing Sabot was marked as 325 gr but actually was 340 grains similar to this Lymen 20 ga slug in wad and luckily the loading data will adopt to this Lyman slug in wad too ! !
**--** Some of us know Pressure is our friend. Higher pressures lead to more consistent, cleaner burning therefore I choose to start using Magnum primers early on in our research and switched to Fold crimp as oppose to roll crimping which is known to produce lower pressures.

We had this 340 gr loads going above 1800 fps with 4756 and Blue Dot loads and the Blue Dot load had the primer flatt from pressure and the 4756 load showed no pressure sign.
The next best was Universal with no pressure signs at all just like 4756 powder and thus could further test to push the loading envelope, perhaps 1900 fps ! !
Next best powder was A. Steel and showed no pressure and could be further developed for even faster loads.
Funny the Load Data skipped the powder charge as they want $ $ $ and we share far far better faster data among our friends ! !
**-**When you start to cook your own can you imagine all the creative juices that start to flow and come to mind, feels great and the more you do the better you get.
** Sure would appreciate that, it's not going to be for me personally but for you all to help out !
All my research and testing was specially done to help my fellow shooters, only ! !

**--** My opinions are my own. They carry no 'special' value (except to me of course)

Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots
www.BlazingSabots.com
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/ ... wforum.php
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ot!/page1
view...f=118&t=470417
view...f=118&t=196961
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!

PS: The above information is only for my Elite Musketeer Group only so I quietly keep adding more and more to the same post loading it with pure 24 carat Gold,
I'm not looking to increase my post count, just add more helpful information to help my fellow Brother put meat on the table for pennies a Pop ! !
**--** You all know who all supported me now its payback time, I'm supporting you.

Post subject: Re: 12 & 20 Ga Nitro Express Loaders Treat.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:04 am 
Diamond Grade

12 ga Lyman 525 slug in wad, July 11th test:

We are not loading just shot shells, rather Nitro Express loads that require custom tailoring to suite your gun for accuracy.

The very best advise I can give you is, if you are starting to load Slugs and want to play it safe then only use Fiocchi
hulls for safety, they have proved to be consistent in quality enough to show pressure sign's early on time after time
with my tests, so please play it safe

As promised the results from July 11 th tests with Lyman 525 slug in wad.
12-2 3/4 Fed hull Fed. 209A

Tests with A. Steel powder and a Savage F 212 gun with a 22 inch barrel:

1. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 45gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Fed 12S-3 wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold tight opening, hull bulged bad 1447 fps

2. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 46gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Fed 12S-3 wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold crimp good, 1484 fps

3. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 46.5gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in AA12F114 wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold crimp tight, trying to open hull bulged 1378 fps

4. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 47gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in AA12F114 wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold crimp tight, trying to open,1415 fps

5. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 47.5gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Fed.12C-1 wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold crimp good,1516 fps

6. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 47.5gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Commander wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold very good, 1448 fps

7. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 48gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Commander wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold very good! ! ! 1462 fps

8. 12-3” Fiocchi BrownFed. 209A 48.5gr A.Steel, 1 inch paper disk, Lyman 525 in Commander wad with .125 nitro card,
8 point fold very good to Perfect! ! ! 1479 fps
A lot more testing is needed before they start to shine!

Time tested Lyman 525 loads from the past, mind you use them at your own discretion only:
**--**I just modified the above load data with pictures to help the smooth bore shooters know which wad will fit their barrel better for accuracy and safety.
With God's Grace and Glory this Commander wad made for us Nitro Express shooters unknowingly, thank God for it ! !
See which fits better for your needs

I'm proud to be a Elite Musketeer, among other Elite Musketeer's here.
" One for all & All for one "
The Nitro Express Shooters.
**--** Sure like to see how many of you are proud members here and will display these words on their own post

Best regards,
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots
www.BlazingSabots.com
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
view...f=118&t=470417
view...f=118&t=196961

PS: The above information is only for my Elite Musketeer Group only so I quietly keep adding more and more to the same post loading it with pure 24 carat Gold,
I'm not looking to increase my post count, just add more helpful information to help my fellow Brother put meat on the table for pennies a Pop ! !
**--** You all know who all supported me now its payback time, I'm supporting you.

Post subject: Treat for RB lovers.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 am 
Diamond Grade

Talking about RB in wad and the difference between a $100 mold and a $18 mold:
What a shame to Lyman charging 5 times the price and selling substandard mold.
Lee is teaching them the right way to make molds at 1/5 the price.
This is why we need the nitro cards to protect the wads

Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots
www.BlazingSabots.com
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
view...f=118&t=470417
view...f=118&t=196961

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Good morning its a beautiful day, we did do load testing with 20 ga Nitro Express and had used the CSD wads and in one test were amazed at the results but the Photobucked that had offered free accounts suddenly have sabotaged my files and asking $ $ $.
Here is what we were doing:
The same .575 bullet to fit the 20 and 12 ga by using the cut out from 20 ga wad and incorporating it into our 12 ga load.
We even found a far better way to cut the wad down:

I try to encourage all my friends to cook your own, no rocket science here just common sense and the willingness to put all your efforts wisely.
We had fun doing it 24/7 and not just fun but great fun.
The more you do it the better you get.

Best regards,
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hello the regular nitro cards from Circle Fly are not very well laminated, but still good for basic needs like here:
Please note I often suggest to my friends to buy nitro cards cheaply from Circle Fly, they are cheap and get the job done in wad below the RB or slug at half the price. At times we use two or three per shot and it works out just fine.
But for more tough demanding jobs you need darker nitro cards from BP at a much higher price and you actually have to ask for them, they are great and will hold out far far better in heavier demanding loads:
They are much more stiffer.

Can't wait to hear your next test, feel free to contact me any time.

Best regards,
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good morning I used the Circle Fly nitro cards in the wad and the base cavity to strengthen them.
A lot of times after firing the wad looks good and you could Re-use them over again.

**--** When you put a nitro card in the base cavity it flares the skirts and puts a stop to powder migration too, a serious problem for us High power Nitro Express loaders.

This is my baby High Power Nitro Express:
not a shotgun and are fed only straight walled hull loads that are meticulously handcrafted.

One hand washes the other, protect your components and give them a solid base at launch ! !
Indeed you will be rewarded back for each and every step you take to help things out.

We are indeed the " Elite Musketeer Group " of Shooters who have taken upon us to perfect our ways of cooking our loads to perfection !

Steve you too unknowingly have joined our " Elite Musketeer Group " of Shooters, now ! !
Welcome to my World.

Hoping it helps.

Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

stripersonfly wrote:
Bloodtrail,

Thank you for your posts explaining this side of slug reloading. I am not sure I fully agree with what you have written, but it is interesting to hear the challenges you and Ajay face trying to create accurate slug loads.

I have not met him in person, but Ajay really seems like a major authority in slug reloading.
I've now tried 3 of his Lee slug loads (I'll see if I can find which ones), and all of them were significantly more accurate than anything I've come up with (out of 870 express synthetic slug).
He tests with the Savage which is very thin walled (and I believe the old copper solids burst their barrels along with Hastings barrels), and hasn't had a problem.

Bottom line, I trust following his recipes exactly far more than I trust myself coming up with something new. My feeling is you should too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Good morning FatJoe, your kind words made me feel so good. Thank you.
The .678 RB in Commander were not shot as non-discarding as you can see very little of the RB being grabbed by the wad and to turn it into non-discarding we need to glue to RB and wad.
Look, how bad the .678 RB fits in the wad:
But the above picture does give us some idea as to which wad takes up more or less hull space, a good rough gauge to judge it.
I wish I had made this chart to help my fellow shooters, here I removed the petals from the picture to turn it into a measuring gauge kind of crude one:
Can one of my friends here help me get this gauge made with 12 ga clear Federal hull and 50 gr A. Steel powder and insert different wads with say 6 to 10 lbs wad pressure and measure how much hull space is left with each one of these wads like this:
I do not have all my stuff or else I would not bother anyone to do it for me.
The base wad cavity differs from wad to wad some are more deeper than others.
This way if one wad does not allow you to properly crimp then from this chart you choose the next best wad ! !
I don't have any of my stuff here in my newer home, was suppose to have a range on my property. It did not happen as planned ! !
Man proposes, God disposes ! !

Still miss Pete, Peter Nap, Charles Hanes, A true Patriot and presently leading the fight to keep America from being invaded by the invaders and trying to fight corruption in which fight I too am involved for the last 1 1/2 year 24/7. Cary Hawkins, Carl Lachey, John Papas, Brian Emerson Capps and my little brother Cpileri to name a few.
Here is a treat for 10 ga slug hunters:

Ajay Madan
Indeed a Great day for America and the World, Triumph of Good over Evil ! !
*-* Prime example of Peace through strength.

****************************************************************************************
Indeed a God's sent Angel to help protect America from traitors from within.
****************************************************************************************
Please share and pray for our President, a God's sent Angel to help save America.
Thank you Mr President Trump !
**--** We the people have already granted
" Our President Trump A Nobel Peace Prize "
For his achievements ! !
Nobel Peace Prize committee did not get their 60/40% kickback, therefore did not offer the
Nobel Peace Prize to our deserving President Trump so far ! !

**--** Finally this Historic meeting with Kim Jong Un will bring peace to the World ! !
**--** We also know our own crooked corrupt past leaders tried to block this Summit from
bearing fruits like Barack Hussein, Chuck Schumer, Nancy and Killary ( Don't forget these
name of the traitors from within )

Next, Our President will Denuclearize Iran just as swiftly as he did NK and then Syria ! ! ! !

Climb Every Mountain by Tony Bennett 1959
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGIoh4K5YV8

Post subject: Re: 28 Ga Nitro Express Loaders Treat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Treat for 28 ga lovers:

Have fun reading.
Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

Post subject: Nitro Express Loaders Treat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 am 
Diamond Grade

We even had done tests after slitting the wad also as well as non-discarding just that I do no longer have access to my three Photo bucket picture accounts, I'm trying to get my results back.
Here is a .600" RB in CSD for 12 ga might be worth your try.
You will need a clean wad cutting tool:

We had so much fun being creative and finding easier ways of doing things.

Yet another treat for 28 ga Nitro Express Slug loaders:

Next we will get into the old reliable Lyman 525 slug in wad with a big maplett:
With a rifled barrel you can attain 4 inch groups at 100 yards, most deers are shot between 15 to 35 yards and 50 yards being a long shot in thick brush ! !
The first wad on left has two .125" nitro cards below the slug in wad to help raise it.
Please note under every slug in both the Lyman 525 slug in wad has a .125 nitro card to help support the slug and give it a solid foundation at launch ! !

Have fun reading.

Ajay Madan
Super Blazing Sabots