It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adding lustre to Spanish Shotgun wood- recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm 
Field Grade

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up an IRU SxS shotgun that makes me happy. It has nice wood, with a bare wooden butt, that is obviously intended to be that way: considering how it is rounded and engraved on it. I think it was a 1970s gun, but am not sure.

I assume the checkered wooden butt is fine, as long as I don't shoot it heavily [ouch!- but I have others with pads for 25-100 rounds a day].

What I wanted to know is what recommendations you have to bring out the lustre in the wood?

The wood is a nice dark oil finish, and it doesn't have any noticeable flaws in the finish. I don't believe it needs to be stripped and refinished [unlike some other guns I have].

What I would like to do is to hand rub oil into it to make it 'pop' more, as I am sure it was intended to.

Yet, I don't know much about woods on shotguns. I am more familiar with Tru-Oil than tung oil for firearms.

I grew up working in dads' woodworking factory [myrtlewood: Oregon coast], so I know a bit about wood. There it was BLO and some other stuff we added for filler.

Would I be safe using a spot of tung oil to go over the stock and forearm to 'freshen' the look up?

I don't want it glossy, as that is not what it was originally. I just want to take good care of it.

Thanks in advance for all insight.

Post subject: Re: adding lustre to Spanish Shotgun wood- recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, and congrats on your new gun...
"Touching up" the finish on your stock will depend entirely on the finish that's currently on the wood. If it's an oil finish, I would heartily recommend rubbing a little tung oil in it. But, if it's a polyurethane-style finish, the oil would just sit on top, and never dry.
Granted, a full strip-sand-seal-finish job is going to involve a lot more work - but it's the only way I'm aware of, to guarantee you'll get the look that you, yourself, want to see.

You could try waxing it, first. A couple of applications of something like Ren-Wax might bring it back to what you're after.

Or, if you're able to determine that it IS a poly/varnish type finish, there are aeresols available that might do the job for you.

One thing for certain - if you do try touching it up, and the finish fails to dry (or fails in some other fashion), you can always resort to a full-blown refinishing job. For low-luster, just my opinion, I prefer Homer Formby's low-luster tung oil, opposed to BLO.

Good luck,
J.R.

Post subject: Re: adding lustre to Spanish Shotgun wood- recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Brownells original stock rubbing compound will knock back a gloss finish to a more satin appearance. FWIW, Brownells Three F and their Five F compounds will bring a spar varnish or polyurethane up to a very high gloss. Five F can also remove scratches on Plexiglas lenses.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi