It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with a new Citori CXS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently acquired a new Citori CXS and the action is really tight - it takes considerable force to open it whether it's been (dry) fired or not. I was a little surprised because I have two other Citoris and they were never this tight. But then I remembered that I'd bought both of those used and I wasn't surprised any more.

Any suggestions on how to smooth things out other than shooting a few thousand shells through it?

TIA

Post subject: Re: Help with a new Citori CXS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

My cynergy composite took about 1000 rounds until it was easy to open. The first couple hundred took considerable force to open fully.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

My CX took forever to loosen up. I’m probably at about 30,000 now and it has just gotten to where it will fall open and eject without me having to push it down. Just had the locking block redone. Will replace firing pins and hammer springs myself soon.
If you send it to me, I’ll be glad to break it in for you :D . If you send some shells with it, that’s even better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll have to get out there and do some shooting - oh darn!

Turpentine1 - thanks for your kind offer, but I wouldn't ask someone else to do something I wasn't willing to do myself. Well, except maybe for brain surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I understand. The CXS is a gun that really interests me. I need to get my hands on one. It and the CXT. I usually shoot guns with raised ribs a little better than flat I have had good service out of my CX. It’s been shot a ton. Use good lube on the hinge pin, it’ll work in eventually. They do tend to be tight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 725 is at 20,000 rounds and now opens very easily. Replaced the pins and springs this winter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently bought a BT-99 that was very hard to open. I put some grease on the surfaces where the receiver contacts the forearm, then opened and closed the gun several times. I could then see where the friction points were. I don't know if this is a normal way to handle things, but I took some fine (600 or 800 grit, I think) wet/dry sandpaper and took a tiny bit of material off the places where I could see there was rubbing. Obviously, you want to be careful not to take off too much. When it got to the point where the gun would open and close much more easily, I used a Dremel tool, with one of those rubber polishing wheels and then a felt with some rubbing compound, to polish everything up. Then I cleaned everything to remove any abrasives that could have gotten in anywhere.

Again, I don't know if you are "supposed" to do this to a new gun, but it worked well for me. I think it would have taken thousands of openings and closings to free things up otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 pm 
Field Grade

My Field mdl. Citori White Lightning is 15 years old and still is stiff, but I haven't shot more then 3500 +/- rounds through it. I was told the Citori's "wear in" not wear out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's is a thread to read up on, and a quote out of another thread, but perform at your own risk

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=197453

"what about it being a shell ejector or extractor? my Citori is a eject and very tough to open, but since i switched the springs to 1911 firing pins springs it opens ALOT easier. nothing else was done to my gun, just lower powered springs."

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark