It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New BioBird - Non-hazardous target from Champion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm posting to share news of our new target, which is suitable for Sporting Clay courses and other recreational shooting. The features and benefits are listed on our website or by cutting and pasting this link in your browser.
http://championtarget.com/targets/clays ... clays.aspx
We feel our product is the best alternative when choosing a target that will be most compatible with nature, and still provide the expected throwing and breaking performance. This non-hazardous target is currently available as a standard size clay in All Orange, Orange Dome, All Green, and All Pink paint schemes. We have been shipping the 90 count Orange Dome boxes to retailers since March and we have begun shipping the 135 count boxes to gun club distributors this week. Targets in both boxes are made with the same weight and density specifications. We anticipate a large following in the Recreational and Sporting Clay market, which is why I am sharing this here. Ask your local distributor about the target, or call us at our Indiana plant at 800-441-4971 (765-966-7745).

Tim Emmenegger
General Manager
Champion Target

Post subject: Re: New BioBird - Non-hazardous target from Champion
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Do these have an impact on soil pH?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
Will not increase soil acidity levels

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Quote:
Will not increase soil acidity levels

There are two sides to the pH scale, Randy. Acidity is just one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As I understand it, they are two basic components here. One is the elimination of pitch: http://www.huntinghog.com/food-habits-o ... eral-hogs/ .

The other is limestone combined with what Champion calls "forestry products," presumably wood pulp. Wood and wood products are acidic when they break down, but the limestone present in BioBirds prevents that.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Tim. Go see the discussion on Wheelybird 2.0 at link below including suggested upgrades and line extensions. Free ideas and critical product review. If this is not under your product area forward to the responsible category manager.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=470271&p=3870690#p3870690

Last edited by Patently Obvious on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I will look for these targets for use on my property with the Wheelybird 2.0.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 am 
Utility Grade

Our test data shows the target by itself breaks down to a 7.8. One must then take into account the current level of the soil they are being used on to get total soil ph. A 7.0 is neutral.

Tim Emmenegger
Champion Target

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 am 
Utility Grade

Patently Obvious wrote:
Hey Tim. Go see the discussion on Wheelybird 2.0 at link below including suggested upgrades and line extensions. Free ideas and critical product review. If this is not under your product area forward to the responsible category manager.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=470271&p=3870690#p3870690

I have copied these posts and sent them to the Product Line Manager as you suggested.

Tim Emmenegger
Champion Target

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Tim, other than "just switch" what would your recommendation be for a club that throws all White Flyer Bios right now? Remediation? Just Switch? What color with the residue be? The Bios break down to white, which causes the target field to look like the moon. If breakdown is brown, then it's an improvement. What is club cost vs Bio or pitch?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm 
Utility Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
Tim, other than "just switch" what would your recommendation be for a club that throws all White Flyer Bios right now? Remediation? Just Switch? What color with the residue be? The Bios break down to white, which causes the target field to look like the moon. If breakdown is brown, then it's an improvement. What is club cost vs Bio or pitch?

My recommendation would be a personal opinion, which is probably best left to the club owners. I can only say that balancing the soil ph would enable plant life to thrive again, and how that is done should be left to someone experienced in that area. I can tell you that ours will also eventually become white since the filler is limestone. With a near neutral ph, the BioBird will not inhibit plant growth by itself, but existing soil conditions will be a factor. Other factors such as area density of target debris in the target fall area will affect plant growth. Getting plants growing in the target fall area goes a long way in making the grounds look better (especially on Google Earth!). Our BioBirds may be less costly for you than the targets you currently use, but shipping costs always factor in heavily because one is essentially shipping rocks. If you would like to get some specifics, please call Russell at 765-966-7745 or call the call desk at 800-441-4971 and they will transfer you to him.

Tim Emmenegger
Champion target

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do these get brittle as they age or in cold weather? Generally using Bios would cause my target breakage and no birds to increase substantially when compared to pitch. Do they break easier compared to pitch during handling? This has been my experience with WF bios anyway. There is definitely a need for a quality Bio that handles like pitch, runs like pitch through a trap, and doesn’t sterilize the soil.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Turpentine1 wrote:
Do these get brittle as they age or in cold weather? Generally using Bios would cause my target breakage and no birds to increase substantially when compared to pitch. Do they break easier compared to pitch during handling? This has been my experience with WF bios anyway. There is definitely a need for a quality Bio that handles like pitch, runs like pitch through a trap, and doesn’t sterilize the soil.

Honestly there is not enough history on the product to give you the answer you're looking for. I can tell you we've run thousands through an old Winchester V1574 skeet machine (old hands called it the coffee grinder) which is pretty rough on targets. The BioBird performs just like a pitch target through this machine, which has been very good. We have not had any shipping complaints to-date, but I must defer again to my first statement on history. Also handling can be somewhat subjective because there is always the possibility of one or more links in the supply chain from our door to your trap, that could mishandle the product. We will always have "Fragile As Eggs" printed on every box for this reason. And of course good trap maintenance means more targets off the trap in one piece. The BioBird could be the closest thing to a pitch target, but time will tell. Thanks for your questions.

Tim Emmenegger
Champion Target

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tim, can you point me to some source where I could pick up a box or two? I don’t want to buy a tractor trailer load without testing first.

Also, how does the price of these compare to pitch targets?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Tim, can you point me to some source where I could pick up a box or two? I don’t want to buy a tractor trailer load without testing first.

Also, how does the price of these compare to pitch targets?

Their website (listed in the first post above) has a nice map with locations of their dealers, along with contact info.

Check both as in my area there are listed dealers that are not yet on the map and one mapped dealer in the wrong part of our state.

Demi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:23 pm 
Field Grade

Any club throw champion brand clays? Round these parts, I don't see anything but White Flyer. Competition between brands would be a good thing.