It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Shooting of Daniel Shaver by Mesa Police
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 am 
Crown Grade

It has been sometime since we discussed a police shooting.

The man was begging and sobbing not to shoot. As he fumbled and stumbled obeying their orders, he was shot five times by one the officers, who was later acquitted of murder and other charges.

One could argue but to me it seems he was executed by a trigger happy officer and he got away with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

Quote:
Shooting

According to a police report, Daniel Leetin Shaver (December 29, 1989 – January 18, 2016), a pest-control worker and resident of Granbury, Texas, had been staying at a Mesa La Quinta Inn & Suites on business. He invited two acquaintances to his room for drinks. There he showed them a scoped air rifle he was using to exterminate birds inside grocery stores. At one point the gun was pointed outside his hotel window, prompting a witness to notify the front desk; the police were immediately called. Upon arrival, police gave Shaver and his acquaintances detailed orders for several minutes, with frequent admonitions that failing to comply with them would get them shot.[4]

Eventually, Shaver was ordered to put his hands up in the air and not to bring them down for any reason, and then crawl on his knees towards them. Police Sergeant Charles Langley yelled at Shaver that if he did anything that deviated from his instructions he would shoot him and he probably would not survive. While complying with their request, the intoxicated Shaver could be heard sobbing, begging officers, "Please do not shoot". Shaver subsequently appeared to lose his balance and reach his right hand behind him, at which point Langley can be heard yelling "Do not!" while officer Phillip Brailsford simultaneously opened fire with his AR-15 rifle, striking Shaver five times and killing him almost instantly. Shaver was unarmed.[5][6][7]

You can jump to 10:00 if you wish.

Post subject: Re: The Shooting of Daniel Shaver by Mesa Police
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That cop would not have wanted me on the jury...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am 
Tournament Grade

This cop was wound way too tight... Only one perfect man ever walked the earth; and he’s not an officer. A tragic situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

It's always great (and real easy) when the non-po-po MMQB the po-po.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Would you feel the same way if the "po-po" shot your loved one under the same circumstances?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:

Neither me. It was very difficult to watch. The guy giving the commands himself was so high-strung and did not help in at least diffusing the situation to some extent.

A tragic and needless death and the guy who shot him just got away.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The punk trigger happy cop even had “you’re fu..ed” written on the dust cover of his AR....He on the other hand wasn’t the one giving the rediculous commands, they should both be charged with mansloughter but as it is they both got away with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

This officer did not have any reason to believe that this poor sobbing kid was a threat. He was really bad at situational awareness, and demanding the unarmed, clearly non combative, Mr. Shaver to cooperative in a manner that was nearly impossible, especially under the threat of death, and what kind of officer of the peace has that on his gun. Have some class !
This guy is a murderer in my eyes.
I am as pro blue as you will ever meet!
I will rarely take away from the fact that it is up to the officer to determine perceived threat.
but this one is absurd!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The civil suit will likely cost the shooter and his department millions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oldfarmer wrote:
The civil suit will likely cost the shooter and his department millions.

Problem with civil suites is they don’t mean a thing and have nothing to do with the department....OJ lost a civil suite , ordered to pay millions yet didn’t pay a dime.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 am 
Crown Grade

Not even bothering watching that vid. I saw it when it was a hot issue at other sites. Those types of murderous cops are only gonna get worse and worse as time goes on. With more and more millennials becoming cops to "get back" at those who bullied them in school. And that's EXACTLY what those types of cops are. Bullies with the law behind them and allowing them to murder in cold blood.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Would you feel the same way if the "po-po" shot your loved one under the same circumstances?

Yes, but you won't believe that, will you,, so why'd you ask?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:51 am 
Crown Grade

Do the names and histories of public employees James DeAngelo and Dennis Rader ring a bell?
It is not a problem concerning cops but of those who seek positions of power and authority to torment others.
Although not deadly how many other public employees deep in the bowels of government enjoy and extend their authority?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:10 am 
Tournament Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
It's always great (and real easy) when the non-po-po MMQB the po-po.

It’s always great when people make baseless assumptions...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

Dennis Rader = BTK serial killer, worked in the Wichita dog pound or something like that.

Lots of combat vets become policemen. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
lossking wrote:

Yes, but you won't believe that, will you,, so why'd you ask?

I believe you. It is, indeed, easy to say after the fact what one should or should not have done. Nonetheless, this cop obviously shot some poor guy that he didn't need to shoot. Yeah, the guy's hand went behind his back, only because he was compelled to crawl in a ridiculous fashion on his knees with his hands in the air and lost his balance. You'd think Officer Agressive Manly would have recognized this and waited a nanosecond or two before blowing the guy away with 5 shots from his trusty AR, but he chose not to do so. So, while it was deemed a "good shoot", full 20-20 hindsight clearly indicates that it really wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

vikram wrote:
lossking wrote:

Neither me. It was very difficult to watch. The guy giving the commands himself was so high-strung and did not help in at least diffusing the situation to some extent.

A tragic and needless death and the guy who shot him just got away.

I'll let you in on a little secret.

The police are trained to give LOUD, repeated, clear commands, because in "high-pressure" situations (like MWAG calls), the people the police want control of DON'T LISTEN. Sometimes it's recalcitrance, sometimes it's confusion, a lot of stuff happening real fast and some people can't digest it that fast.
They don't "de-escalate" until the situation is under control.

Fortunately for most of the public at large though,, Shaver did nothing whatsoever wrong.
While I am being sarcastic, there is a large grain of truth there,,, isn't there?

Quote:
He invited two acquaintances to his room for drinks.
There he showed them a scoped air rifle he was using to exterminate birds inside grocery stores. At one point the gun was pointed outside his hotel window, prompting a witness to notify the front desk; the police were immediately called. Upon arrival, police gave Shaver and his acquaintances detailed orders for several minutes, with frequent admonitions that failing to comply with them would get them shot.

A LOT of non-gun people in this world panic their knickers at the sight of a gun, ANY gun.
Shaver's #1 mistake was letting someone outside that room see his gun.
Shaver's #1A mistake was too much booze.

If a cop ever tells you "failure to comply will get you shot", I suggest complying, to teh letter.

Quote:
Eventually, Shaver was ordered to put his hands up in the air and not to bring them down for any reason, and then crawl on his knees towards them. Shaver subsequently appeared to lose his balance and reach his right hand behind him, at which point Langley can be heard yelling "Do not!" while officer Phillip Brailsford simultaneously opened fire with his AR-15 rifle

Had he fell over backwards with his hands over his head,, he'd be alive today.
He stuck at least one hand behind him where it couldn't be seen, which incidentally puts that hand the same place an FBI agent was keeping his Glock until it threw itself onto the dance floor in Colorado last week.

The devil is almost never in the video, it's in the details that take too much effort to look at, or consider.

The black CCH-er shot to death a couple years ago at a car stop.
Clue for folks,, he wasn't stopped for a broken tailight, that is the girlfriend's BS story, he was stopped because he, and the car, looked like the guy and car from an armed robbery a couple nights earlier in the same area.
Then he didn't keep his hands up, he insisted on dragging out his gun to 'disarm' himself- mistake #1. This despite cops telling him not to, so he got himself shot.
The gun was in his lap on the video.

How many cops got shot last year by unarmed people?
They all LOOK unarmed don't they?
We all look unarmed,, don't we?
I was carrying a sizeable sum of money around all yesterday afternoon, and 3 loaded guns. No-one at the auction or the restaurant saw them, I make efforts to 'look unarmed'.

However it is far easier for the public who aren't there, to just go "the guy was unarmed, so he shouldn't have been shot".
It's easy when you've never had to make that split-instant call and decide if the guy is "just falling", or if he's 'falling' while reaching for a gun.
Shoot wrong, you may go to prison.
Don't shoot wrong, and you may die.
How do you choose it perfectly every time?

No, the cop shouldn't have shot him,, but I know why he did, I understand why he did, unlike most of the Monday Morning Quarterbacks who have never been there and who will never be there.
But they will happily sit on juries.

IMO the DA did the same thing they did in Virginia a few years back over Freddy Grey, they over-charged and couldn't prove it.

Eric Garner, 2014, who the MMQB'ers would love to blame on a New York City choke-hold arrest for Selling Un-Taxed Cigarettes.
The devil in the details however brings up he had a very bad heart AND decided not to "go quietly" but to actively resist, forcibly wrestling with a half dozen cops, and the heart didn't approve, and it quit. He EFFECTIVELY suicided by wrestling with the cops with a bad heart.
Quote:
"Contributing Conditions: "Acute and chronic bronchial asthma; Obesity; Hypertensive cardiovascular disease".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 am 
Crown Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Dennis Rader = BTK serial killer, worked in the Wichita dog pound or something like that.

Lots of combat vets become policemen. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

He worked in the Park City office of Code Enforcement, he told you when your grass was getting too tall.

Back in the day he killed first (70's) he was an ADT security system installer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Go look up Wichita Kansas' own SWATing from last December/January.

Some Commiefornia moron online gamer called WPD and gave his address and said he had already shot 1 person in the head, and had several hostages with intent to kill them.

WPD & SWAT promptly surrounded the house, the first person to come out reached toward the waistband of his pants, against police orders (and common sense), and was promptly shot to death.

His was the only death at the house, there were no hostages, it took a while after the shooting for all the actual facts to be determined. No-one at that address (including the now corpse) had the slightest idea what was going on, just sitting around watching TV, not even an online gamer, just some dude (family) at some address.

If somehow at some point I am at police gunpoint, the 2 places I will not be reaching without express consent (and then I may just insist the po-po reach there instead) will be my waist and behind me out of sight.
I don't care how badly my groin itches or my pants are falling down, I'll gleefully walk with them around my ankles instead of making a "furtive movement" to get shot over.

Blame the cops though for trying to live through a shift, no-body ever actually shoots at them anyhow, they just shoot people and are promptly backed up by the govt. for doing it...............

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Crown Grade

BTW, Andrew Finch is the name of the above SWATTED decedent.