It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutts Compensator 12ga dimensions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm 
Field Grade

Hi All,
I was given a damaged Remington 1100 barrel 28" which I want to cut and remove the damaged section.
Was thinking of fitting up a cutts compensator and using it as a play around project for the skeet field.
Issue here is that very few of them ever made their way "Down Under" and most that survived were destroyed by default in the government buy back scheme when they changed our firearms laws back 22yrs ago.
With all the Bull S.... regulations here, paperwork etc here it is uneconomical to just buy a used one from US or Ebay. How easy and painless would that be!!!!

If somebody out there would be kind enough and able to give me a bit of a barn yard sketch of a Lyman with some dimensions or couple of close up images with it unscrewed in bits and of the barrel adapter.

I am sure I can machine up a body and barrel adapter no problem just need to actually need some dimension details. I have found a couple of choke tubes but should be able to buy them ok legal wise.
Any help appreciated

Post subject: Re: Cutts Compensator 12ga dimensions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:53 am 
Limited Edition

if you google lyman cutts compensator and click on images, there lots of close up pics. You should be able to scale the outside dimensions using the barrel diameter as a reference.
The original installation instructions are there in PDF. That should do it.

WOB

Post subject: Cutts Compensator 12ga dimensions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The choke adapters that screw on the end are going to be a challenge. The inside slope of the constriction is going to be the difficult part

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm 
Field Grade

Seen images already and instruction sheet.
What I am after is bit more specific on inside diameter of body and slot widths and depths etc and adapter itself etc and if it has any tapers to machine in. I have managed to find a couple of Lyman tubes in my travels. Problem this end here is really body and adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Research the Patent documents. There may be dimensioned drawings.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Auzzie Shot wrote:
Seen images already and instruction sheet.
What I am after is bit more specific on inside diameter of body and slot widths and depths etc and adapter itself etc and if it has any tapers to machine in. I have managed to find a couple of Lyman tubes in my travels. Problem this end here is really body and adapter.

If you have a choke tube,you have all the dimensional data you need. The chamber has the same threads at both ends (choke end and adapter end) and is merely an unthreaded section in between. The vent slots are not critical and can be estimated to look like the original.If you refer to photos for the pattern,the ones with the wider slots are made from aluminum,and the narrow slotted ones are steel. The adapter has no taper,is bore diameter,and terminates at the end of the threads. Instead of silver soldering the adapter to your barrel,you might consider threading the barrel for chokes,and make an adapter that screws in adapting the barrel choke to the cutts.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

These original installation instructions may be of some use; https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/use ... nsator.pdf

Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you for that document! Very interestesting

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

Hi everyone thanks for getting back.
Liked bobcats ideas. Even thought of counterboring old choke tube into back of adaptor would make neat screw on and off package which be kind of neat and unique.

I have done lot of looking around and more research burning the wi fi on all the forums. Reckon I have it in my head now to make a start.
Still have a couple of questions. Read about a Kolar compensator which obviously a modern copy uptake on the Cutts.
1 On forum they discussed the slot orientation was different to a Cutts which is 6 and12 o clock The Kolar was supposed 6 and 2 o clock and it gave better muzzle control. Any truth to this and is there someone out there with a Kolar in use can verify that .
2 They also quoted the two chokes are .765 D for doubles and .785 S for singles. I am bit confused how to interpret that as can it just go straight onto a std Remington 1100 barrel did Kolar used to backbore them out as part of the factory package? Again the Cutts imp cyl is talking .755
any uptake on educating me welcome