It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How did it start ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:11 pm 
Limited Edition

There are so many great threads here some read like chapters of a book. Engraving , Lovely lumber , In the interest of restoration , that the most recent ( the age of superposed owners ) got me thinking .
Now , I'm curious to know how some of you got started on this path ( compulsion) whatever , of collecting , restoring , researching the Brownings ?
For me , it started at 13 -14 when the older guys (20's and 30's) let me start hanging out with them in duck blinds , pheasant , squirrel, rabbit and frog hunting. Of course I had to carry freight , fetch drinks light thier smokes , generally break my.....

worth every bit of it ! Lot of A5's , coupla "Rich" guys had Superposed as well as the usual mix of 1100's , model 37's , 870's etc. If I did as I was told and didn't act like a kid , they'd let me take a shot now and then . ( God forbid that I'd miss) but the Brownings always fascinated me. So here I am 44 years later with a small collection of Iconic Brownings that I thought I could never afford and every time I get one out I do think about those guys. Some I still shoot with occasionally , some are gone , I have even been fortunate enough to come into possession of a few of thier guns.

Thats my story and speaking for myself and I'm sure a few others , I'd like to know how some of you got mired in this obsession ? Regards

Post subject: Re: How did it start ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

I'd wanted an SA-22 since I was a kid but never owned one until the passing of a friend.

He owned a lot of guns but only two Brownings. We (his friends) offered to buy this guns. We'd have paid premium prices but she refused.

I decided if I couldn't own HIS guns, I'd own some just like his.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have never owned any high value Brownings, but have owned many, including rifles, though limited to the Lever Action .22 and the Single Shot Rolling Block model.

I bought my first Browning in the 70s, a 4 barrel Citori skeet set, because it was the only barrel set that I could afford at the time and bought a 12 gauge Citori with a monte carlo stock and 30" barrel for skeet.

Those were the days of fixed combs, fixed chokes and fixed ribs. Learn where they shoot and than shoot them that way.

Over the years I owned more Citori's in SPL Skeet, XL etc.

Today I have moved onto higher grade guns for skeet, but still love my three BPS pumps and my 525 Sporting in 16 gauge. For trap, my Cynergy Two Barrel Trap set is my main gun for the few rounds of trap that I shoot a year. Except for the trigger guard design, I love the look of it as I got one of the last ones with the traditional stock and butt pad in high grade wood.

Almost forgot the Browning High Power, that I also owned and liked.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Mine started with my Pappy. He took me everywhere he went from the time I could walk and taught me everything I know about hunting. He had 2 A5s, one for birds (quail) and one for dog driving for deer. I shot either an 870 or his Ithaca 37 as the bird gun had a 25” cylinder bore barrel and as he put it, wasn’t fitn to deer hunt with. When I was 12, I started quail hunting with him, shooting what I had, either a 16ga 870 or the Ithaca 37. In his words, neither of those was a fitting bird gun. So one day we stopped by one of his well off friends house, and he borrows for the season an immaculate light 12 with 26” improved cylinder vent rib barrel. He says, well now you don’t have to shoot those sorry guns at birds. I was a happy camper. You couldn’t have paid him to put a Remington in his gun cabinet and he reminded me that they were “junk” quite often. Even though he knew I had an 870. He’d remind me anyway. I always wanted a magnum like his. And today every time I see one, I think about him. I've owned a few of them since, but as we do in our youth sometimes, I found things I wanted worse and sold them. Now of course, I sure wish I had them back.

Last edited by Turpentine1 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm 
Crown Grade

When I was in high school, in our part of the country, if you had a Browning, brother, you had ARRIVED!! Thus, I wanted one. Someplace in my twenties, I did acquire a Citori. I've since had numerous other Browning's, including many models of Citori's, Gold's, and a BT99. They are nice guns, make no mistake. However, my interests have changed a bit and I've parted with all of them, save two. There is only one of those that I sold that I would like to have back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

My father shot quail from the late 50's until the mid 70's with a 16 gauge A5. Even when I was to young to carry a gun my job was to pick up the empty hulls so he could reload them. When he finally bought me my own shotgun it was a Ithaca 20 gauge model 37 not a 20 gage A5 like I wanted so bad but at least I had my own shotgun. He started deer hunting in the late 60's and bought a new BAR in 30-06 man that was a beautiful gun. Over the years he acquired more Browning rifles and a few more Browning shotguns. When he retired in 96 the guys that worked for him gave him a new A Bolt in 7mm Magnum it was the only Browning he ever owned that was not made in Belgium.
A couple of years ago with his health failing rapidly he gave all the guns to my brother and I and my brothers four sons. All but the old 16 A5 he said he had a special place for that one and we did not question him
About a month before he passed away I was spending the night with him he told me he wanted me to have the old A5. He said that I had walked enough miles as a kid behind him and his bird dogs picking up hulls that I had earned the right to keep it.
It resides in my safe along with a few more Brownings that I have picked up over the years and a Browning 9mm High Power that I gave him for his 60th birthday
My father passed away in January of this year and I would give anything to have been able to spend one more day in the field with him with a trusty A5 and two good bird dogs
My father always said there were two kinds of guns Brownings and whatever you own

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Gentlemen , Great stories ! I appreciate your replies. I have learned so much from you, it's great to learn something about you !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I knew what a Browning Superposed was before I was old enough to read. My older brother was an avid outdoorsman. I remember thumbing through his Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, and Sports Afield magazines. The inside cover of first page usually had a full page Browning ad thereon. It really hit me at around 13. So that's where it started for me. 'Smooth as Silk - Rugged as the Rockies".

The rest was by the grace of God.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Like others who have replied, my father was a avid hunter and Browning shotgun owner. My mother gave him a 12g A-5 for a wedding present in 1952, purchased from the downtown Dayton store in Minneapolis. Later he added Light 20s from 1960 and 1962, and a Magnum 20g A-5 in 1971.

Of course during one of those 20g shopping trips I was along, and there it was- a gorgeous Browning Superposed Pigeon Grade shotgun displayed under a glass countertop. I couldn't afford to buy a Superposed until about 25 years later, but that memory so impressed me that my first "quality" shotgun was a 1961 Superposed 12g Pigeon with 28" barrels and field chokes. Since then I have added a few more, and made my dad proud!