It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-shot routine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm 
Utility Grade

What would be a reasonable amount of time for a pre-shot routine, roughly, for casual shooting?
What would be an excessively long pre-shot routine?

Rich18

Post subject: Re: Pre-shot routine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe there's a time limit in competition. I bet someone knows and will post. Make sure it's under that. If your preshot is too long, it can tick off squad mates and slow down rotations. I don't care. Many others do. Casual shooting is different. If you ever care to compete, make it timely so you don't have to adjust down the road.

"I sar a chip off a dat."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Rich18 wrote:
What would be a reasonable amount of time for a pre-shot routine,

NSSA says <10 seconds.

Rich18 wrote:
What would be an excessively long pre-shot routine?

NSSA says >10 seconds.

Last edited by ShowMe on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 pm 
Crown Grade

The more hitching and twisting you do on the pad the more likely you are to do something 'wrong'. Do something wrong and it gets in your head. You don't need extraneous thoughts rattling around in there. It serves no purpose.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I have to admit that I was one of those who was getting a bit annoyed with one of the shooters in our group the other day. He was probably within 10 sec, but he had quite a routine--feet waggling/arm pointing--and he spent a lot more time in the box than anyone else. <Full confession: He was also a much better shot than I am!>

R18

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 am 
Diamond Grade

I shot with a guy not too long ago and his routine was such that it kept reminding me of that old song: "Bend Over - Let Me See You Shake A Tail Feather". Some of the other guys on the squad became quite amused by the "dance" he performed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Back when I chased a little white ball around frequently, I went to a 10 day gold school with quite a few nationally recognized professionals as instructors. Though not in reference to shooting, there was a lot of discussion about Pre-Stroking, part in slowing up a foursome (most clubs want you through 18 in 4 hours and 15 minutes or less) but mainly with regard to putting. As one poster said, all that fidgeting can be a big negative. When I learned to speed up my putting I cut 18 strokes per round off my game by the end of the first year.

During registered skeet shooting , I have been on squads with slow shooters and then ones that take a lot of time to set up and also load one shell at a time for singles can really slow down a rotation, though I have yet to have seen it so bad that a ref interviened. When I was younger I didn't care much, but now that I am old and have a pacemaker and joint pain, just getting through 4 rounds without a break is tough enough without taking a lot of extra time while standing in the sun holding a heavy gun.

Also in the golf school they preached that it took 7 years for a weekend golfer to get to having a true consistent swing without thinking about it. So you might want to work on your set up in practive, see what works best for you and duplicated it until you do everything you want to do, but more efficiently and in a shorter period of time.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:58 am 
Field Grade

One physical thing to "Prep" your body. One mental thing to clear your mind. After that, just shoot the dang bird.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

Using psycho-cybernetics takes a couples of seconds to properly imprint this sight-picture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

In a registered shoot (in addition to the 10 second rule) a squad that has not completed four rounds within 80 minutes they can be moved to another field to complete their event. At many larger shoots this is not practical, as all fields are in use - and thus slow squads can gum up the works for everyone. It's not difficult to finish within 80 minutes if everyone is mindful of the need to keep things moving - but it's equally true that one or two "slow" shooters can lead to 90 minutes or more.

In my experience it's pretty common for referees to tread lightly on warning shooters regarding excess time on the pad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

SWN wrote:
In a registered shoot (in addition to the 10 second rule) a squad that has not completed four rounds within 80 minutes they can be moved to another field to complete their event. At many larger shoots this is not practical, as all fields are in use - and thus slow squads can gum up the works for everyone. It's not difficult to finish within 80 minutes if everyone is mindful of the need to keep things moving - but it's equally true that one or two "slow" shooters can lead to 90 minutes or more.

In my experience it's pretty common for referees to tread lightly on warning shooters regarding excess time on the pad.

In my experience it is rarely the time on the station that makes for slow squads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Its hard - these days we find it hard to get enough shooters, let alone riding them about time on station during a shoot. That being said, it can be excruciating, and detrimental to the success of a shoot that has squads backed up waiting for unreasonable amounts of time. Skeet isn't a fast game even when people are adhering to the ~10 second rule. I have seen a two guys warned - weakly - that things were getting out of hand. They had two shooters there were know for excessive pre-shot routines, and the other three weren't that far behind them. Its a fine line between inclusion and exclusion - offend someone once and they likely won't be back. IMO you need to enforce it reasonably well for registered shoots - there's an expectation of efficiency at some level. For league shoots you know what you're potentially getting into when you sign up, and while frustrating, they often cater to the less serious, often slower shooters. It's surprising how quickly you can get through a round if everyone is focused on the task at hand, and has credible shooting skills. Throw in an angry wife at home and it can be downright brisk.

Anecdotally, we find that during practice the key is making fun of each other while we are ON the pad instead of waiting until someone gets off and slowing everyone down :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:29 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet in supposed to be a game of few misses. Few misses only comes from doing things consistency the same from shot to shot and in my mind that comes from a solid preshot routine. So my advice to you, especially if like me you are fairly new to the sport, is to take the time you need to make sure your foot position is correct, your gun hold point, break points and where you are looking is correct, your gun mount is correct, take a deep breath and call for the bird. That should only take five seconds or so, and the more you do it, the quicker it will feel. FWIW, the max delay on the controller if you are shooting skeet by yourself is 7 seconds so I would use that as about the maximum amount of time you should need to be ready for the bird to launch.

I will also say this: I have a solid preshot routine and a shoot fairly quickly but the one thing I hear over and over when shooting the public field is "you know you can load both barrels for singles right?". I always answer the same way - I know. I'm working on my technique and its easier to duplicate my shots if I do the same thing the same way every time. For me I have a tendency to rush the low house single I if shoot it without reloading. It may only cost me 1 bird a round, but last week I shot a 23 and a 24 so that one bird matters to me. Most people when they hear that you are working on something will be polite about it. But be careful because the unsolicited shooting advice is about to start, lol.

As a golfer the pre shot routine, especially on the tee, is critical. So every experienced player has one but what would drive people nuts is the guy who goes through his preshot routine and then just stands there addressing the ball for 10 seconds before swinging. Not only is it an annoying waste of time, but it is actually detrimental to your shot. The longer you stand there the more your body tenses up and thats not only bad for a golf shot, but for holding a heavy shotgun too.

So, take the time you need to get ready for the shot and dont be rushed by others, but dont linger with your gun mounted for too long before calling for the bird either because that will make your body tense up, and nothing good in skeet comes from a tense body.

PS: If you are looking for a good repeatable pre shot routine I think the way Todd Bender teaches it in his DVD's are really useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Step up to the station, watch your foot placement, mount your shotgun, go to your hold point, call for the target, break the target over the stake. Anything else is just nonsense, excessive movement, and worthless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like Two High's approach. I just mentally say to myself, the lead amount, keep my head down and keep the gun moving and call from my next miss. If you practice feet placement and gun mount, it should end up natural and not take any excess time at all.

When "Fun Shooting" at the club with guys that will take extra shots, extra doubles etc., I use the time to work on my "Quick Pre-Shoot" routine. But not at a registered shoot.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

ShowMe wrote:
SWN wrote:

In my experience it is rarely the time on the station that makes for slow squads.

The worst of all worlds is a squad that dilly dallies between rounds, as well as between stations, PLUS takes a lot of time on the pad. I shot behind such a group two weeks ago at the Paxton Arms shoot in Dallas. Come Sunday afternoon they were half way through their first box when I showed up 20 minutes ahead of my squad's scheduled time for the .410.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

twohigh wrote:
Step up to the station, watch your foot placement, mount your shotgun, go to your hold point, call for the target, break the target over the stake. Anything else is just nonsense, excessive movement, and worthless.

Agree with this approach. The other thing I do when I'm stepping on the pad is to tell myself that the only important shot on the course right now is this. Just focus only on the shot I'm shooting right now. Man I love this game!