It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Night Stalker Association Invitational @ Cross Creek Clays
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Awesome venue here in TN. Very lucky to be here for their first big shoot. A lot of pros have been invited. Good luck everybody!

In the Prelim, Cory Kruse (Mr. Onfire) shot 100 straight, taking HOA... Check the video of the Prelim on my blog (and Cory's last station for 100 straight). Impressive talent there!

https://frenchnick.com

NSCA Level 1 Instructor
NSCA Life Member #645619
Master Class Shooter
2018 PSCA Pro Shooter

Krieghoff K80 Sporting 32'
Laporte / Weshoot
Riffaut Shells
Shurley Brothers
Extreme Chokes

Post subject: Re: Night Stalker Association Invitational @ Cross Creek Cla
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the video as always, Nick! Great shooting too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wendell Cherry was the very best this weekend. Incredible score (195) to win $10,000...
Here is the video of the shoot (Main Event):
https://frenchnick.com/2018/06/10/june- ... nal-video/

NSCA Level 1 Instructor
NSCA Life Member #645619
Master Class Shooter
2018 PSCA Pro Shooter

Laporte / Weshoot
Riffaut Shells
Shurley Brothers
Extreme Chokes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Great video! You can get a good perception on each individuals gun mount. Thanks for sharing

JML

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 am 
Field Grade

Nicholas,

Great video as always. As the poster above me mentioned this is helpful to see the form of top shooters. To that end, do you think you can get some profile videos - without being too much in the shooters peripheral vision?

Last edited by Keperkey on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Keperkey, that would be difficult for me to come on the side of the shooter since I don't want to disturb them. Even though I know them well, I usually come and video record them from behind. In most cases, you can see that they are surprised when they turn around. I don't wanna be too present...

NSCA Level 1 Instructor
NSCA Life Member #645619
Master Class Shooter
2018 PSCA Pro Shooter

Laporte / Weshoot
Riffaut Shells
Shurley Brothers
Extreme Chokes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

Nicholas understood. Just was not sure if you could do it from farther away with zoom.

Regardless I have watched a number of your videos and I am appreciative of the effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nick's videos are by far the best sporting clays videos on YouTube! Most of the time not only you can see target breaks but you can also observe pre-shot routines, gun mounts, and other aspects of shooting, and how those differ from one top shooter to another. And, shooting at this high level and film at the same is double impressive. Than you for all your hard work, Nick!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Great video Nick, it was good to see you at Texas State.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:49 am 
Diamond Grade

Nick, comparing major shoots in the US (Nationals, Open, Regionals, etc.) how do you see these shoots compared to shoots in Europe of equal stature regarding difficulty of presentations?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

mortum wrote:
Nick's videos are by far the best sporting clays videos on YouTube! Most of the time not only you can see target breaks but you can also observe pre-shot routines, gun mounts, and other aspects of shooting, and how those differ from one top shooter to another. And, shooting at this high level and film at the same is double impressive. Than you for all your hard work, Nick!

I second this and always look for your latest postings.

If I could only do what I am supposed to do when in the box. They do it, why can't I?
I'm a 50/50 shooter, half my mistakes are mental and the other half are physical.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Those are very good questions and not that easy to reply to. I'll do my best to bring you my input.

The big shoots in Europe (Nationals, British or English Open, European Championships, World Championships...) are very similar to what we find during our Regional, National championships or US Open. Usually, the stiffest shoots we have in Europe are the FITASC Selection Matches (to gain a spot in the FITASC National Team) and would be similar in difficulties to what we used to shoot in PSCA. However, what is very different there is that you don't get to shoot and compete as often and there are not as many World Class competitors comparing with the US (still some like Bardou, Auvret, Havart, Mordefroid... are however World Class competitors).

Talking about those World Class shooters and their ability to shoot at a very high level and post 95+ scores all the time is very impressive. IMHO, at the top level, all those guys are able to break 99.9% of the target regardless of distance or speed. The only difference I can think of is their mental game on that given day. That is the reason why you will have one shooter smoking it at the beginning of the year in Florida (WC), then another one at the US Open (CK), the another one at the World All Around (DM), then another one at the Western Regionals (KD), then another one at the NE Regionals (DR), then another one at the Night Stalker Invitational (WC)... All these top guys will have their weekend where their mental game will be above the others. You need a bit of luck as well but a better mental game usually comes with full confidence too. But what your can see as well is a shooter that rules the game for a certain period because of his confidence level that is boosted by his wins: Bill McGuire was ruling the game 2 years ago, then Derrick Mein last year and Cory Kruse in 2018. At that level, when you start winning, confidence goes up and your mental game gets better and better. Wins bring wins.

Now, seeing the difference between them and us, normal shooters, is IMHO pretty obvious. The mistakes we usually see that they don't make could be:
- shooters trying to stay focussed the whole round: it is not possible to stay focussed (in the zone) for 3 or 4 hours. You will blow up! You need to escape from pressure between the stations. That is why you will often see the "pros" talk and joke between the stations. And that is the reason I don't mind filming my squad mates. It allows me to escape from pressure.
- shooters shooting not to miss: to perform well, you need to shoot to kill and not shoot not to miss. That will avoid you being too careful and missing.
- shooters finding excuses (wind, sun, stupid targets, people talking...) when they don't shoot well: it doesn't help to act this way. When you shot bad, try to find the real reason, it will help you improve.
- shooters thinking about work or their latest affair when calling for targets: you need to learn how to stop the process and open your gun if there's a parasite thought in your head. You can only think about your target when calling for it. Nothing else!
- shooters spending their time on their phone: even though some top shots (ZK, DE, KD) spend most of their time between stations on their phone, I personally don't think it helps with your vision. I think it can affect your vision when you try to look at the target when shooting at it.
- shooters not having a consistent pre shot routine: pre shot routine and mental game are completely different. That is a question I've been asked quite a bit. Your pre shot routine will allow you to build your shot (get clear and precise brake points and hold points) and get yourself into your best mental focus before calling for the targets: the zone. That will help you build consistency and repeat the same deal on each pair.

I hope that helps...

NSCA Level 1 Instructor
NSCA Life Member #645619
Master Class Shooter
2018 PSCA Pro Shooter

Laporte / Weshoot
Riffaut Shells
Shurley Brothers
Extreme Chokes

Last edited by nikobe on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Nick, yes it does help, and thanks for being such a good ambassador for our sport that at times ties us in knots but we keep coming back. Good luck going forward for the balance of '18.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

Nick. Love the videos! Your shooter analysis is quite enlightening! Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:35 am 
Diamond Grade

nikobe wrote:
...I hope that helps...

Excellent writeup!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mortum wrote:
nikobe wrote: