It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CTN should have a Shoot Calendar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Crikey.....

I live in a different country and can find events being held in the USA easy enough and make arrangements to attend when finances and time justify it. I often see results within a couple of days of events finishing for shoots i like the sound of.

It is quite simple to look up events in a state / club by year and date on the NSSA website. Better still you can contact club directly to find out what is on and when if you want. Then reverse check to see the size of the event the last few years.

I appreciate that the older generation will find the internet scary / to complicated to adapt to but truth is the "WWW" was revealed to the world in around 1990 - so has been around 28 years or so.

If someone has not embraced it / found a friend or relative who has and made use of the easy accessible information then it is more about not wanting to rather than cannot.

I have been in two voluntary roles in different hobbies whereby communication with members to publicize events was needed.

In both cases i saw the change over to digital marketing as old school distribution via magazine / newsletter is slow and expensive for small clubs and associations.
Simply put its hard to convince all members to pay more membership fees just so you can stick to outdated methods of communication for the odd few who cannot / will not be reached by modern methods.

The world has moved on for the most part and i appreciate its difficult for some in this transition period but the cat is out the bag and it will only go one way now.

Its not about excluding those who do not have the internet / e-mail its about helping them adapt and get the information this way as it IS there.

Post subject: CTN should have a Shoot Calendar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:23 pm 
Limited Edition

ShowMe wrote:
hawkeye55 wrote:
When I want to find a shoot I

But there are others that do not do that. So you suggest they be ignored? Classic NSSA thinking.

In today’s world where magazines, newspapers and actual books are going out of business and are fading from existence why should the NSSA do the same? I agree CTN sucks, I agree it would be smart to add a calendar to it, but the day of material being printed on paper is dead! If the NSSA wants a more youthful following, what you’re suggesting is the opposite of what they should actually do. Anyone can get access to internet! If you’re older and lack the knowledge to use a computer I bet you also know someone who can for you! I have a older squad mate that has asked me to look up stuff on the internet often, not hard to do! If you don’t want to do this, it’s on you!!!

The shoot likely had no shooters for many reasons, but likely not because the shoot wasn’t listed in a magazine. Sounds like membership at said club had NO interest in shooting a tournament at their own CLUB and there are probably reasons for it!

My state (Kentucky) doesn’t have a webpage, newsletter, email chain, etc and I know of no one who can’t figure out what shoots are where/when within our state! Your rant is nothing more than you bashing a terrible magazine that Skeet shooters dislike anyway but it literally has nothing to do with a shoot getting cancelled!

To answer your question I personally think NSSA/NSCA should make CTN totally digital or cancel it all together. However I agree they should go back to the old format of upcoming shoots/results if they’re going to continue to produce the garbage it has become.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

ShowMe wrote:
But some won't, or can't. Are they not wanted at registered shoots?

What kind of ridiculous question is that? No, people who don't want to attend registered shoots aren't wanted at registered shoots. Making them want to attend is a different problem and a valid pursuit, but I would argue that trying to print ~1300 shoots in a magazine that nobody likes where that information will be 2 months out-of-date by the time anyone gets it in their hands is a terrible, wasteful way to increase the number of people interested in shooting registered targets. It would just be preaching to the choir anyways since everyone who gets that damn magazine is already an NSSA member and therefore more likely to already shoot some number of registered targets.

Besides the always up-to-date online calendar, shoots do reach out to shooters all the time, whether it be via physical mailings, email, printed advertisement, or word-of-mouth. I know I've received over 20 emails from various shoots in the last 3 months alone, along with a smattering of physical flyers in my mailbox.

Dude, the internet was old enough to buy beer almost 10 years ago. If someone doesn't attend a shoot, it's because they didn't want to, not because they couldn't find it. The lack of a printed magazine calendar has zero tangible effect on shoot attendance. I don't think anyone believes your claim of a shoot being canceled for that reason (can't imagine why :roll: ), but feel free to name the shoot and provide the names of the at least 20 shooters you polled who all say they would have attended that shoot had they read about it in 10pt font on page 72 of a magazine. Otherwise, consider your pot successfully stirred and pat yourself on the back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
ShowMe wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Educate a non-skeet shooter

Does not each state have a local branch of NSSA?

No

oneounceload wrote:
Do they not have the email addresses of everyone?

No

oneounceload wrote:

Is there not a version of ShootersPages.com for skeet?

No

WHY NOT?

He's not being honest with you. Each state has a state association. Here's a link to his:

http://pssa.com/

They must have the email addresses of most shooters in the state who have provided it at some point (hey look, a "subscribe" form right there on the home page!). I get emails from clubs in PA advertising their shoots all the time, including shoots/clubs I have never attended.

The skeet analog for shooterspages.com (at least the event calendar portion) would be the NSSA's online shoot search tool: http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/find-a-shoot/shoot-search/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

KennyPowers wrote:
ShowMe wrote:
But some won't, or can't. Are they not wanted at registered shoots?

What kind of ridiculous question is that?
The kind everybody expects from him. {hs# Kenny, you're wasting your time trying to make any sense out of his buffoonery.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am 
Field Grade

Kenny don't feel bad, he inspired to me to log in again after many years just to reply to one of his many complaining posts. I really hope that I never get to the point that when I can't do what I once did I don't just sit at the computer and gripe about how the world is changing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:35 am 
Tournament Grade

http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/find-a-shoot/shoot-search/

Works for those who don't need an engraved invitation to be invited to shoots that they don't want to attend anyway.

Maybe NSSA should have aerial views of each club with the fields clearly marked and graded on a 1-5 scale for background and shootability. They could also provide historical data on wind direction / speed on a monthly basis as well.

Damn, while we're at it, why not add average and predicted temperature and humidity data.

Oh, and let's not forget sunrise-sunset information indicating angles to be expected at various rotation times throughout the season.

Let's be serious, those who want to shoot will and those that don't want to shoot will make noise another way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Come on guys. Showme is NEVER going to be satisfied with anything you say. The ONLY solution to his rant will be for CTN to publish a shoot calendar. You CANNOT win. :lol:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”