It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Limb saver dimensions. Hole to Hole.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 pm 
Field Grade

Hey, I'm looking at getting a grind to fit pad for my new (used) over under.
I've been checking out the limbsaver grind to fits and I can't seem to come up with a definitive answer.
I'm wondering about the hole to hole distance on them. I've installed them before, and I know they advise you to drill out the old screw holes, glue a dowel in there, cut flush and drill new screw holes, but if I can avoid that I'd love to. Not to mention my stock has a large(ish) hollow section around the middle portion of it, covered over by the current recoil pad, where the stock bolt goes through.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the spacing is? The hole spacing in my current pad is 3 1/8".

A medium sized grind to fit is pretty close to the current pads dimensions, so if possible, I'd pick one of those up to make for minimal dust once I get to sanding.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:

I've been to the limbsaver website, opened up the PDF file with the dimensions and changed it to "actual size" but I still question how accurate that is, just because of my monitor and all that. I don't have a printer......

Post subject: Re: Limb saver dimensions. Hole to Hole.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

You are right, 3 1/8" is standard. Kick Eez has dimensions for their pads. I am sure Limbsaver has something out there also.
No need to dowel the stock, unless the holes are stripped or custom spaced.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just measured a limb saver pad and it had 3 1/8” center to center spacing. You may still want different hole locations but the distance between the one I measured is 3 1/8”.

I’d be surprised if they had some that had different spacing with the exception of a small youth pad or something.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Limbsaver pads rip very easily when grinding so go slow. I often freeze them in the freezer. The warm up quick so I grind a little then put it back in the freezer and do something else for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just because the center to center is the same, doesn't mean that the center to end is what you will need. Also when adding length this will change as well because the stock contour gets larger the further out you travel. A 3' length of hardwood dowel will last through a number of pad jobs.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad to hear that they seem to be a standard distance apart. I guess looking at the limb savers in store, they just seem to be closer together because you have to grind off a bunch.
Also, I'll keep in mind about freezing the pad, that should work great.

At least this time the back of the stock is flat. Last time I had to use a heat gun on the bottom plate of the pad to give it a bit of a curve.