It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Porting: Yea or Nay?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

What are your thots about porting shotguns for clays, ZZs, or live pigeons? Or for anything else.....

Like most target shooters, when it was the new thing 20 or 25 years ago, I had all my clays and pigeon guns ported, plus a couple of my hunting guns. I personally have (long ago) come to the conclusion that porting has absolutely no benefit for me, and all it does is make for more more noise and a bigger barrel mess to clean up afterwards. For duck hunting, it's not a good thing (noise) for either your blind partner or dog.

I can't figure out why some manufactures still insist on making their guns with porting. For me, porting has no positive value, and is just a total nuisance.

Thots?

Last edited by Mule Driver on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Porting: Yea or Nay?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Porting is a great way to empty your wallet of good cash. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife

Krieghoff K 80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

Porting, actually a muzzle brake, works great on high powered rifles from 338 and up. IMO, it is worthless on any shotgun.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
. I personally have (long ago) come to the conclusion that porting has absolutely no benefit.

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Totally worthless and a waste of money. It’s a good way to reduce the value of your guns.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I won't buy a gun because it has porting nor will I not buy a gun because it has porting.

People I trust very much ported their non-ported guns. Not a choice I would make, but then again, I'm not of their caliber either.

All goes back to confidence in your equipment. If you think porting is going to give you an advantage, or at least, if you think not having porting is a disadvantage, then it's "worth it".

I worry about me. If somebody asks me my opinion and then they go against it (or even with it), it makes no difference to my shooting.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

I with Jeff, it won't keep me from buying a gun; however, if I have a choice I'll take it without ports.

I don't understand why all the Browning target guns come with porting, and no option to get one without.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Nay! A loud, noisy, waste of money. I haven’t seen any advantage to it.

NSCA # 630162

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I don’t like to shoot with one in my squad, but don’t tell the shooter how offensive it is. Not too bad if you are well behind him.

Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you have a dedicated set of pigeon bbls, then I say yes. With hot 1.25 oz loads I have found a little less upward bounce is (somewhat) helpful.

Not really enough for me to do it , but Some flyers shooters seem to do better w/ ported bbls. But --for some crazy reason--no Fabbri shooters port their guns :lol:

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

One of the local skeet/trap clubs added a covered, side contained, 5 Stand to their shooting menu. I want you to know, if you ever shot it with a full squad of 5 shooters, and the other 4 guys had ported guns, the noise will make you crazy.

I honestly stopped shooting before we were half done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Unlike some of the others here, ported barrels are a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait to find what I'm looking for without them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
If you have a dedicated set of pigeon bbls, then I say yes. With hot 1.25 oz loads I have found a little less upward bounce is (somewhat) helpful.

Sera, at a recent large shoot, a gentleman took HOA in 5 of the 8 races, and he was using the old Federal 1220 fps, 1 1/4 oz., pigeon loads in a lighter-weight gun. I haven't done pigeon in awhile, but back when I did I personally had more success with those old slower pigeon loads than the hot ones.

Quote:
Not really enough for me to do it , but Some flyers shooters seem to do better w/ ported bbls. But --for some crazy reason--no Fabbri shooters port their guns :lol:

Very telling, amigo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Unlike some of the others here, ported barrels are a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait to find what I'm looking for without them.

Me too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I once bought a 2nd barrel for my back-up gun that was identical to my main K80 bbl other than it was ported and my main one wasn't. It fit my gun identical to my main non-ported barrel, with same sight picture and bead alignment, etc, so IOW it was identical in everything except the porting. The BIG reveal for me was the ported barrel -- both top and bottom bores -- printed 3 to 4 inches LOWER at 30 yards than my main barrel. My only logical conclusion is that the porting did have some effect on muzzle jump at the shot.

HOWEVER, if one does the actual vector math, it takes an approximate 1/8" of difference at the muzzle of a 32" barrel to alter POI at 30 yards by 3 inches. So, my net conclusion is the porting reduced muzzle rise by about 1/8" -- I leave it to the individual to decide if that's a worthwhile advantage for them or not ...

End of day for me was since I wanted to be able to interchange barrels and receivers, the fact this barrel printed 3 inches low was a deal breaker and so I sold it. But that said the porting itself was not a deal breaker, just the fact that for me it apparently will alter POI downward by about 3 inches at 30 yards -- which with another barrel that shoots high, could actually be a benefit...

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mule Driver wrote:
One of the local skeet/trap clubs added a covered, side contained, 5 Stand to their shooting menu. I want you to know, if you ever shot it with a full squad of 5 shooters, and the other 4 guys had ported guns, the noise will make you crazy.

That would turn me off immediately, I don't blame you. Yes, ported barrels are louder in a regular setting, but not so much as to cause a problem for me. But put them in an enclosed building and yeah, that's a problem.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Over the years there have been dozens of threads that discussed this very subject. In general, I would say that the majority opinion does not support porting. There is plenty to read in past threads if you want more convincing.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
I once bought a 2nd barrel for my back-up gun that was identical to my main K80 bbl other than it was ported and my main one wasn't. It fit my gun identical to my main non-ported barrel, with same sight picture and bead alignment, etc, so IOW it was identical in everything except the porting. The BIG reveal for me was the ported barrel -- both top and bottom bores -- printed 3 to 4 inches LOWER at 30 yards than my main barrel. My only logical conclusion is that the porting did have some effect on muzzle jump at the shot.

HOWEVER, if one does the actual vector math, it takes an approximate 1/8" of difference at the muzzle of a 32" barrel to alter POI at 30 yards by 3 inches. So, my net conclusion is the porting reduced muzzle rise by about 1/8" -- I leave it to the individual to decide if that's a worthwhile advantage for them or not ...

End of day for me was since I wanted to be able to interchange barrels and receivers, the fact this barrel printed 3 inches low was a deal breaker and so I sold it. But that said the porting itself was not a deal breaker, just the fact that for me it apparently will alter POI downward by about 3 inches at 30 yards -- which with another barrel that shoots high, could actually be a benefit...

Jack,

Knowing that you shoot 32 inch choke tubed barrels on KGuns, and moderate velocity 1 ounce loads, that amount of muzzle jump and a 3 inch higher pattern seems surprising.

I mean, that's what I might expect from a fixed choke light weight 29 inch Perazzi barrel using hot pigeon loads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Save your money. But, keep in mind I don't shoot registered targets so what could I know?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm 
Field Grade

Jim what in the hell does you not shooting a registered target have anything to do with a ported barrel?

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next