It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Porting: Yea or Nay?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

I don’t recall anyone ‘trashing’ porting on this thread, but we all see and hear things differently.

I happen to agree, it’s much like loads and chokes, if it works, and you get the results you’re after, who’s to say it’s wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don’t necessarily care for porting, Zack or Wendell might like it and think it does a better job.
I like Charmin toilet paper, I think it does a better job. Zach and Wendel might like some other brand. That’s ok, I know what’s better for me. My using Charmin doesn’t effect them one bit. Fact,
Ports are loud, some louder than others. Whether I’m trapping 5 stand or instructing behind a group of shooters, I know the second a ported gun goes off. It’s not so bad directly behind a shooter, but to either side it’s tough. So when what someone else is using starts effecting me, it sort of becomes my problem too. So usually I create some distance between myself and the ported barrel. I don’t use muzzle breaks for the same reason. Loud, they piss off other people at the range. They do go a long way toward mitigating recoil but the loud is just to much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Porting is not something I will go out of my way for or pay extra to have. Have owned a couple ported guns and if a gun came along I wanted to try and buy that happened to be ported , if I liked everything about it but the ports I would probably buy it

Porting does probably make a small difference in muzzle rise or jump or recovery and in the right hands that could make one target difference in a round. I doubt it matters in my hands.

The noise they generate is not pleasant but we do wear ear and eye protection. If the shooting stand is next to a fence or structure the noise gets crazy loud. Just like anything if you know you are shooting with a squad mate with a ported gun, adjust where you stand when he or she is in the box.

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20
Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:08 am 
Diamond Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
Porting is not something I will go out of my way for or pay extra to have. Have owned a couple ported guns and if a gun came along I wanted to try and buy that happened to be ported , if I liked everything about it but the ports I would probably buy it

Porting does probably make a small difference in muzzle rise or jump or recovery and in the right hands that could make one target difference in a round. I doubt it matters in my hands.

The noise they generate is not pleasant but we do wear ear and eye protection. If the shooting stand is next to a fence or structure the noise gets crazy loud. Just like anything if you know you are shooting with a squad mate with a ported gun, adjust where you stand when he or she is in the box.

There you go being all reasonable and rational again :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am 
Diamond Grade

mwr01 wrote:
dpe2002 wrote:

There you go being all reasonable and rational again :)

Always been one of my shortcomings :lol:

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

1redvette wrote:
I despise porting on some guns by some people. I love porting on some guns by some people. My point is that to trash it on a forum while it works great for some great shooters is kind of silly.

Red,

I read your post here yesterday, and did quite a bit of thinking afterwards.

First, I’m a live and let live kind of guy. It doesn’t matter at all to me what gun, shells, chokes, glasses, backbone, forcing cones, or anything else other shooters use. Whatever works for them, works and is fine by me.

The trouble with porting is that it can negatively effect other shooters, trappers, and score keepers. We all have hearing issues already. While there maybe some positive to reducing a little muzzle jump, the negative noise factor and overall dirtiness of porting grossly outweighs any and all perceived benefits.

I’ve had guest hunters bring ported guns with them when they come to my duck club. The noise factor to both me and my dog was not good. I no longer allow a guest to bring a ported gun, and it’s for rock solid good reasons.

So, I think that the bashing here of porting is for good reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:26 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:

Ear protection many times doesn’t solve the noise problem that porting puts out, and you can’t always re-adjust where you stand. Think about 5 Stand, for one example.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mule Driver wrote:
The trouble with porting is that it can negatively effect other shooters

I shoot practice almost every week at a local 5-stand. Several of the guys shoot Brownings. And for whatever reason, Browning porting seems the absolute worst offender as far as directing noise -- and a lot of it -- to the shooters on either side.

So I get what you're saying. But, the reality is, they are not shooting when I am, only before or after --- so while I notice the extra noise, I don't let it bother *my* shooting :)

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

Agree, Jack in that those factory Browning ports seem to be the worst offenders.

But, the other reality, is that it be having a negative effect that you don’t realize. And one thing for sure, is that negative addition noise factor sure doesn’t help anything.

Currently, I find myself moving out of the way of it to avoid that annoying noise factor. It is not a huge deal, but it’s a pain in the butt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

xsshooter wrote:
I with Jeff, it won't keep me from buying a gun; however, if I have a choice I'll take it without ports.

I don't understand why all the Browning target guns come with porting, and no option to get one without.

The Browning Citori CX and CXS models do not include porting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

And the B725 S3 Euro model (limited availability in US) is non ported.

Somebody somewhere in Browning's marketing department thinks porting sells more target guns in the US. Maybe they are right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

1redvette wrote:
all porting is not created equally. Browning and Benelli factory porting is the loudest and most percussion produced. angle porting and Rhino porting produce no additional noise.

This is what I said earlier Mule. You are totally correct. Browning and Benelli factory porting is brutally loud. On the other hand angle porting and rhino porting adds virtually no noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm 
Crown Grade

1redvette wrote:
all porting is not created equally. Browning and Benelli factory porting is the loudest and most percussion produced. angle porting and Rhino porting produce no additional noise.

This is what I said earlier Mule. You are totally correct. Browning and Benelli factory porting is brutally loud. On the other hand angle porting and rhino porting adds virtually no noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm 
Crown Grade

But a lot of expense in relation to any perceived value

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is this the Sporting Clays forum or the Skeet forum?

Even puppies stop whining after about 6 months. :lol: :lol:

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Not sure what difference that makes. A ported gun is a ported gun no matter what your chosen sport is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:

Even puppies stop whining after about 6 months. :lol: :lol:

You know, no one is forcing you to read this, dogchaser. If it bothers you so much, why not try another thread?

Without question, the effects of porting are worthy of a discussion -- whether you want to understand that or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually I think it is hilarious........and Mr. Miller's comment makes it even funnier.

Pass the popcorn!!

Or is it against the SGW code of ethics to be entertained?

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 pm 
Field Grade

Ok, back to the topic,
I would not spend my money to get barrel ported.
But I will not reject a good gun solely because its ported either.

For some reason, almost all shotguns in the Olympics were ported since the committee allowed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mule Driver wrote:
Quote:

Ear protection many times doesn’t solve the noise problem that porting puts out, and you can’t always re-adjust where you stand. Think about 5 Stand, for one example.

I don’t disagree. Not a big fan of ported guns.

If no gun from today on was sold with ported barrels and no more guns were ever converted to porting, we will still shoot around ported guns the rest of our lives. Less over time but there are many already out in shooterss hands

I adjust as needed and move on. Focus on my own day at the range doing what I love.

Benelli SBE 2
Beretta 303
Browning Auto 5 light 20

NSCA 602398

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next