It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Porting: Yea or Nay?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a Browning O/U with 30" ported barrels, also O/Us with 28" and 32" barrels non-ported. And a Remington 1100 with 26" non-ported barrel and an unsingle trap gun with 34" non-ported barrel.

FWIW i cannot tell any difference in recoil, muzzle jump, or noise level.

I don't clean the ported barrels any differently than the non-ported ones. They don't plug up.

My friend usually shoots a Benelli semi with ported barrel. I can't tell any difference in noise vs. other friends shooting non-ported guns.

We usually shoot 1.0 ounce loads and I wear ear muffs.

So..."Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Stand just to the right and slightly behind those ports

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Porting is a racket and makes a racket, and who, CA35, is Frankly Scarlett?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

As a shooter, I can't tell any difference. As a referee who stands next to over 200,000 shots a year, I hate them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
The noise thing with porting.....I don't understand.

I can't tell who has a ported barrel and who doesn't ...

My preference is ported.

I wear adequate ear protection and when walking by the skeet fields where I shoot, I can tell without a doubt that a gun is ported when it goes off.

The skeet fields have wood baffles that separate the fields and you can hear the sound bounce between them. You don't hear that when the sound isn't coming out sideways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I shot two different Beretta 682E One ported one not. The ported had less barrle jump .
But I would not pay to have it done .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am 
Limited Edition

Does it help with muzzle jump? Sure. Thing is, are folks really in tune to this? Most are not. If the muzzle jump is large, better option would be to change the shell. Commited shooters will notice and it may make a difference to them. You'll know by looking at the gun. Some guys like Jack will test it. He'll know. Heck, I always ask Jack technical questions.

To add, it cost. Is noisey. Can be messy. I live without it. Live without ported chokes as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Xftrplt wrote:
.... and who, CA35, is Frankly Scarlett?

The actual quote is, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." It's from the movie Gone With the Wind from the '30s and supposedly is the first time "damn" was spoken in a talkie. It was Rhett Butler's (Clark Gable) way of telling Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) to 'piss off'.
(My daughter's undergraduate degree was in radio, TV and film and I picked up a few things.) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Xftrplt wrote:

The actual quote is, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." It's from the movie Gone With the Wind from the '30s and supposedly is the first time "damn" was spoken in a talkie. It was Rhett Butler's (Clark Gable) way of telling Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) to 'piss off'.
(My daughter's undergraduate degree was in radio, TV and film and I picked up a few things.) :lol:

The question, rhetorical, was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor, as the quote was originally posted without a comma after Frankly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

Xftrplt wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Xftrplt wrote:

The question, rhetorical, was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor, as the quote was originally posted without a comma after Frankly.

Ok I accept your explanation, but knowing such detail really shows your age. LOL.

BTW, I used to own a Winchester model 70 owned by Clark Gable, and knowing how beautiful Vivian Leigh was really shows my age too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

Never thought this boring porting topic would bring out one of the most beautiful women in motion picture history.

Nice turn out. LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 am 
Crown Grade

Question for all of you guys who are pro porting. Have you ever been in a duck blind with another hunter who has a ported gun, and seen how it affects a well trained dog?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:24 am 
Field Grade

I thought porting is more of a clay's gun thing.

Post subject: Porting: Yea or Nay?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Seems to me IF porting worked and you ignore the noise factor it would only be an advantage in doubles when you keep the gun mounted. Doubles trap doubles on the skeet field.

Sporting clays sometimes you get a true pair that requires fast 1st to the 2nd bird with no change in set up, but not often. Majority of 2nd shots best re mount the gun while shifting position . Which makes limiting muzzle rise irrelevant.

Way I see it anyway

Bass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am 
Crown Grade

Field guns tend to be much lighter and typically use more powerful shells - an area where would THINK that IF porting truly has any merit, it would be utilized. Not one field gun offered by any major maker has porting. Not one target gun (except for Browning) comes standard with ported barrels, and even now they are offering them with out (and their Euro market guns never had porting either).

If that doesn't point out the uselessness of porting a shotgun barrel, I don't know what does.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been around and working with ported shotguns a long time, like since about 1991.

The first shotgun I saw it on was a field gun, a Benelli SBE, one of the original 3 1/2" guns. The owner used it for pheasants and geese. It wasn't the typical round ports but long narrow trapezoidal slots.(I don't remember the company name that ported it, but the ports were lazer cut by a company in California, which I believe is no longer in business.)

I know that most folks hate porting, because they are sensitive to the extra noise(I don't ever pick up on it, but obviously lots of folks do). However ports do have two functions. The first addresses muzzle rise. The second is, porting has the tendency, with some loads, to pattern a bit tighter. The second part is more pronounced with hunting loads. The reason is that porting lowers muzzle region pressure, which helps to not shove the wad into the pattern on muzzle exit.

I use two shotguns most of the time. One is the shotgun I use for Sporting, a Benelli SS which came with porting. The second is my hunting shotgun that I had ported a long time ago, using the same port system as that SBE. I did not port my hunting shotgun to negate muzzle rise. The shotgun has a lot of barrel work done to it, and there isn't a target or hunting load that it doesn't like. Porting is just one piece of the puzzle.

I know this post is probably as controversial as the thread itself, but......

For the record I do not clean ports......I have never had them clog.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

The company was called Lazer Port I had one done there back in the 90s. He guaranteed you it would not be louder and he was right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I have both, even have one with a barrel of each. Neither make the decision for me to or to not buy a target shotgun. The only difference I have ever noticed is I dislike cleaning the ported barrels a slight bit more, however with regular cleaning, it really only takes a couple extra wipes on the outside to get it clean.

IMO recoil reduction from it has not been noticed and the myth about extra noise coming from a ported shotgun barrel is phoey. Yes the recoil reduction on a large caliber rifle is real and yes the increase in noise on a large caliber rifle is also real, but on a shotgun, no, not quite.

If you are using ear protection as everybody should be at the range and stand behind a wall, I can guarantee you will be able to hear the difference between a SA and OU long before you can determine the difference between ported and non ported barrels.

Although, come to think of it with all the discussion, it may give those with ported barrels a psychological advantage over others in their squad who want to worry about somebody else's ported barrels :mrgreen:

Last edited by K1SSRSS on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Let’s say for the sake of argument you’re right (I don’t agree), about porting being no louder than non ported.......I’m sure you can agree it sounds louder or more painful, if only due to the directional change porting provides.

If it feels like it recoils harsher....it does. If it sounds louder.... it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Illini Shooter,

Yeah that was the place. He was a good guy, we sent a lot of folks to him.

aka Mr. Tactful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next