It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wad crud?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Occasionally when cleaning my gun I will get large amounts of stringy crud on the cleaning brush. It doesn't seem to happen all the time even though I am shooting the same load. This last time I only shot 25 targets of 5 stand so probably 15 through the bottom barrel and 10 through the top.

The brush from the bottom barrel looked like this:

From the top barrel it looked like this:

The load is: Win AA, 16.9 Grains 700X, 1 oz reclaimed, CB1100-12 and Win AA primer.

Is this just a symptom of a batch of wads with a poor mix of resin? Any other thoughts?

"Edited to make a correction to say a batch of wads, not a batch of primers"

BTW, I am clearly new to posting pictures. I just did a preview of my message and the photos didn't need to be so large.

Last edited by Alvan on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Wad crud?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks more like a piece of a patch that was wound around the brush. I get that when I do wrap a patch. Can you tell if it is plastic?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just 2 comments about your pictures.
I have been using the same wad for years now and have never seen anything like that.
I was in the plastics industry my entire career, blow molding and injection molding, that does not look like any plastic residue I have even seen.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claybuster wads, in the past, have had a reputation for leaving plastic residue in the barrel. I've not seen reports of it recently (possible change in the resin?). How long ago did you acquire the wads? And these are the first pix I've seen of the phenomenon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a cases of wads about 2 years ago. I am down to the last 1,000. I shoot mostly 20 gauge so it has taken a while to use these up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

My usual cleaning procedure is to spray some RGS in the barrel before passing a brass brush. Then I follow with a patch. Then repeat both before finishing with RGS soaked patches.

This stuff came out on the first pass of the brush so no patch material.

I can't tell if it is plastic, but suspected that because of the stinginess. Not just "dirty."

Could products of combustion cause something like this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I load claybuster in all gauges and the chokes get dirty but I have never had any look like those in the pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

The only time I run into this is when using cheapo ammo w/a over the powder wad and a plastic wraparound sleeve(no real wad)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I get that a lot with my claybuster wads.
They shoot so well I don't mind a little mess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 am 
Crown Grade

I shoot that exact same load with factory shot. Never had any problem. That looks like residue after using 0000 steel wool or a bore mop near the chamber/forcing cone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:29 am 
Utility Grade

A couple of years ago I frequently saw the same thing when using CB0178-12 wads with Titewad powder. Not sure of the cause, but since switching to Red Dot it no longer seems to be an issue. Maybe a hotter powder helps scrub the barrel??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am 
Crown Grade

Alvan wrote:
My usual cleaning procedure is to spray some RGS in the barrel before passing a brass brush. Then I follow with a patch. Then repeat both before finishing with RGS soaked patches.

This stuff came out on the first pass of the brush so no patch material.

I can't tell if it is plastic, but suspected that because of the stinginess. Not just "dirty."

Could products of combustion cause something like this?

No.

Gunpowder combustion products are easily researched today (it is the internet, the chemistry has only been known for 130+ years).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I load clay buster wads in several gauges and am not aware of any plastic residue in my barrels. I have never seen anything like the op posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm sure no scientist, but I get curious about these things. It just crossed my mind that the crud may be a result of a chemical reaction between the solvent I use (RGS) and the plastic residue that is left in the barrel. Next time I hit this issue I will clean barrel two with a different solvent just to see if there is a difference.

The weird thing to me is that it doesn't seem to happen consistently. I will pay more attention to that as well. As I said I don't shoot a lot of 12 gauge. (Sounds like another good reason to get out and shoot more.)

Thanks for all the thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think the solvent would all have evaporated by the time you get around to shooting the gun. This plastic build-up phenomenon is a well known issue with Claybuster wads. Not everyone experiences it but many do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nebs, I didn't explain my thought well. I was thinking that it is possible for the solvent to react with wad residue left in barrel when cleaning. Not that the solvent would leave a residue that would cause the wad plastic to build up. Kind of a which is in the barrel first thing.

I agree, however, that it is an unlikely scenario.

I think the answer is for me to just clean the stuff out and keep shooting. The wads fit well and I like the performance just fine except for this unusual "stuff."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Plastic wad residue comes out easy with choke cleaner. DON'T get it on the stock finish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Alvan wrote:
Nebs, I didn't explain my thought well. I was thinking that it is possible for the solvent to react with wad residue left in barrel when cleaning. Not that the solvent would leave a residue that would cause the wad plastic to build up. Kind of a which is in the barrel first thing.

I agree, however, that it is an unlikely scenario.

I think the answer is for me to just clean the stuff out and keep shooting. The wads fit well and I like the performance just fine except for this unusual "stuff."
I think the solvent you used when cleaning the barrel softened up the plastic residue and when you pulled the brush out, the bristles probably stretched the goo it made into the strands you are seeing in the pix.

Other than continue to shoot the Claybusters, your only other option would be to switch to Down Range wads, which, to my knowledge, don't cause the same issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So there is a little plastic in the barrel, and whatever solvent you used made it a bit slimy?

In use, it affects nothing. So what’s all the fuss about?

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr. Tactful - - No fuss.

As I stated in my last post - "I think the answer is for me to just clean the stuff out and keep shooting. The wads fit well and I like the performance just fine except for this unusual "stuff." "

After almost 74 years on this planet I still get curious about the whys and hows so looked to a broad audience for input that might satisfy that curiosity.

Take care all. Be safe!