It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wad crud?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:16 am 
Limited Edition

I shoot black powder at SASS matches using plastic shells and plastic wads. The Barrel gets a thick coating of plastic.

The easiest way I found to remove it is to plug one end of the barrel with a paper towel and spray a good amount of windex with vinegar (clear liquid) in the other end and plug it with another piece of paper towel. Then I take a few minutes to clean the action. When done I run a brush with a patch down the barrel, paper towels and all and the residue (we call it snot) comes out completely. One more patch with your favorite lube or oil and done. Should work for any buildup from target loads.

Post subject: Re: Wad crud?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nebs wrote:
I think the solvent you used when cleaning the barrel softened up the plastic residue and when you pulled the brush out, the bristles probably stretched the goo it made into the strands you are seeing in the pix.

Other than continue to shoot the Claybusters, your only other option would be to switch to Down Range wads, which, to my knowledge, don't cause the same issue.

This is very interesting... I can't help but wonder how/why Claybuster wads would leave a 'stringy' residue with some loads, or in some firearms, but not in others.

I don't shoot near the volume (unfortunately) that some of you guys do, but I load almost nothing but claybuster wads and have never seen this goo.

I typically shoot a couple of flats of handloads before cleaning a gun -- I hate cleaning guns :oops: .

Capt_C