It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling to Gettysburg and Washington DC.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Every other year, our family takes a trip (more of an adventure).

This time, we'll be going to Gettysburg and Washington DC. Both of my daughters (20 and 17) went on a class trip to Gettysburg and DC and were selected from their school to represent the school at the "Laying of the Wreath" at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I have not been the either place. We'll have 5 full days in the area. We're planning to spend a day at Gettysburg and I would like to go to Arlington.

I believe that I would like to do the evening tour of the monuments when they are lit up in the evening.

Any other recommendations?

Please chime in.

Maggs

Post subject: Re: Traveling to Gettysburg and Washington DC.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 pm 
Crown Grade

If possible, drive the Blue Ridge/Skyline parkway into DC......gorgeous drive; hit the Maryland shore for crab cakes

ADDED: If you do drive the Blue Ridge, a nice stop for lunch is the Southern Kitchen in New Market, VA. Get Lloyd's fried chicken and a bowl of peanut soup.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Gettysburg:

One of the guided tours will be worth it to understand how the significant landmarks affected the battle. For the young, hearing of the casualty numbers drives home the cost of war.

DC:

WW2 Memorial.
The Mall - including the Lincoln Memorial.
Arlington - as you state.
Air and Space Museum.
If you have time:FT McHenry and Baltimore Inner Harbor - you can get crab cakes there also!

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:53 am 
Tournament Grade

In DC, be sure and visit the Wall. While emotionally it probably means more to us of the Viet Nam era, it`s very impressive nonetheless. When I visited it, it was packed. Even so, you could hear a pin drop. That was years ago, so don`t know if it`s the same ( hope so ).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 am 
Field Grade

Eisenhower Farm just outside of Gettysburg is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

RE: Your desire to go to Arlington...

You're in luck - that's where the Tomb of the Unknowns is.

Other recommendations for DC:
  • The Marine Corps memorial (about 3/4 mile walk from the main entrance to Arlington)
  • National Archives (Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution)
  • Check with your congressman and see if you can get a tour of the Capitol building
  • Obviously, the monuments and memorials (Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, MLK)

The past couple of years, the company my wife works for has had their national conference in DC, and I accompanied her, just for the opportunity to see a lot of the things mentioned. Over the two trips, I spent the better part of 5 days in DC, and still didn't see everything I wanted to see. Seriously, you could spend two weeks there and not see everything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MNNavy wrote:
........ Seriously, you could spend two weeks there and not see everything.

I spent my last 5 years in the Air Force in DC and never saw everything.

The Jefferson Memorial on the Tidal Basin is stunning at night.

The Vietnam Memorial - The Wall. A very emotional place for those of us who served during that time. The name of 11 of my college classmate are on that wall.

Any of the Smithsonian museums that interest you. FWIW, the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio is head and shoulders above the Air and Space Museum. It would be last on my priority list.

I second Gettysburg. Seafood restaurants on River Street in Old Town Alexandria.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the input! Keep 'em coming!

We're looking forward to it.

Maggs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:02 pm 
Field Grade

If you can drive out toward Dulles airport, the Smithsonian air and space annex out there (Udvar-Hazy Center) is head and shoulders above the downtown one. Google it and you’ll see how much stuff is there. Most tourists don’t make it out that way. In the off season on a weekday you sometimes practically have the place to yourself.

On the way to or from Udvar-Hazy, visit the National Firearms Museum at the NRA headquarters. It’s awesome!!!!! Allow a couple hours. Pick up a tee shirt from the shooting range around back. It will piss off liberals when you wear it, and that’s always a good thing.

Google the name of the Washington Post food critic: Tom Sietsema. Read some of his recent review. His opinions are very good and trustworthy for restaurants and cocktail bars.

Geo. Washington’s house and tomb at Mount Vernon is a must see and a very picturesque drive just a few minutes south of DC.

Hotels are expensive and over-used in DC. You pay a lot and may still walk in to find dirty floors and sheets, and staff who just washed up on shore or got out of prison last week. If you can afford to upgrade from “expensive” to “really really expensive” like the Ritz Carlton or Willard, or the new Trump hotel, it will make your trip a totally different experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm 
Field Grade

Also... If you want crab cakes but aren’t going to stray outside the DC beltway, book a reservation at Old Ebbitt Grill. Great place for 150+ years. Just went there tonight myself and had the scallops. Outstanding.

A lot of restaurants in DC become the hot thing, then go to crap in a couple years, but Old Ebbitt has never disappointed me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Please remember to see all or part of the Smithsonian Museum. The zoo in DC is also amazing. In Gettysburg downtown, they have an antique military museum that is absolutely fascinating. Have a wonderful trip.

Regards,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will be shooting this week in Williamsport, PA (Actually Trout Run) at The Original 1,000 Yard PA Bench Rest club and when I do I always swing by Gettysburg. I was disappointed when they took down the observation tower, though the area does look better in general without it. For me, going there is always a moving experience. Such a waste of life.

As everyone else has said, Washington DC has so much to see. You can spend a week in the Smithsonian alone.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am 
Tournament Grade

One can make an argument that the crucible in which our nation was founded is made up of Lexington/Concord, Yorktown, and Gettysburg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

I spent two years working in the Pentagon. My advice on what not to see is any interstate ending in 95 during the morning or evening commutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
I spent two years working in the Pentagon. My advice on what not to see is any interstate ending in 95 during the morning or evening commutes.

That is the truth! My son lives and works in DC; some evenings he wonders if he will ever get home.
I drove for a dealer for a while and dreaded any trip where I had to go around DC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Riflemeister wrote:

That was true 30 years ago - I can't even fathom how it might be today.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.