It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: replacement stock options? For my new to me 1925 a5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I finally got my first a5, so I am learning about them. From the serial#, 72,XXX, it appears to be a 1925. I have been reading identification posts on this site. It has a cursive g on the barrel though, date stamp of 1928. It is a cylinder bore barrel, appears to be 70cm. It has an after market stock. I want to replace it is a wood stock. I also think the current one is not stopping the barrel after each shot and it appears to be going WAY too far forward. Is this a stock issue? or something else?

Where are some good places to go to get an aftermarket wood stock? And if I find a 1960 one on ebay, would it work on my shotgun? Thanks. I am excited.

Jared

Last edited by jcolby23 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: replacement stock options? For my new to me 1925 a5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

You don’t mention the gauge, but I suspect it’s a 16 and you made the mistake of going to the Browning site to date it. In addition to being full of errors, the serial numbers there are only for the 12 gauge. This is a much better site:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/s ... acture.pdf

A 16 with your serial number would put it at 1929, explaining the 1928 barrel. Also, the Barrel Extension on the 16 sticks out a little from the Receiver, how much depends on whether or not it’s been converted to shoot 2 3/4” shells.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:05 am 
Utility Grade

Woops, I did not put the gauge down. It is actually a 12 gauge. And for some reason my pictures didn't post, I will try again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

OK, that makes it easier. On a 12 the Barrel Extension should be even with the front of the receiver. If it’s not, your forearm needs replacing. Also, in one of Art’s videos he says that many synthetic stocks leave the Action Tube unsupported, causing them to break. He fixes that with insulation spray.

Most stocks will fit, but may require some fitting, especially those made after 1957 as in ‘58 the Trigger Plate tang was made thicker. Also, the stock bolt hole may need plugging and re-drilling; not easy to do. Your best bet may be to buy one from Midwest Gun Works or Art’s.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/brownin ... tocks.html

http://artsgunshop.com

Finally, watch this:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:58 am 
Field Grade

That aftermarket stock and forearm was manufactured by Ram Line. It should have a small plastic cylinder that is to be installed in the forearm to use with a 2 3/4" barrel or removed for use on the 3" magnum barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a nice stock set for sale. The fore end has been epoxy bedded to hold the barrel correctly and there are no cracks. It’s been beautifully refinished. PM me if interested and I’ll send pictures

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith