It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kolar Compensator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:29 pm 
Field Grade

Hi Could somebody give me some details about Kolar Compensators. I realise they are bit of skeet history now but I am wanting to set up a barrel with one to use on a remington 1100 like a Craig Parsons rig. Have damaged barrel I can re life this way and pretty handy machinist.

Any information on whether Kolar used to backbore the barrels they did or did they run with standard .730 and what the choke sizes were for D and S choke tubes. I am looking to make one up from scratch as outside USA and buying used and importing not an option.
Secondly I have read on other forums the ports are cut in different orientation positions to the 6 12o clock as on a Cutts. Is this for better muzzle recoil control.
Any information from the skeet fraternity and anyone that has or uses appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Kolar Compensator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

A backbored barrel would have to have been extra charge. Most were probably installed on standard .730 barrels, but you should backbore for maximum recoil reduction. The porting was, in fact, 90 degrees off from the Cutts ports. I think Don thought the Cutts porting would put gas into the line of sight. What keeps you from importing a Kolar Comp?

Post subject: Re: Kolar Compensator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have both Kolar and Cutts comps on my 1100's. The ones with Kolar comps are not on back bored barrels. The vents on the Kolar are left and right, vice the Cutts top and bottom. The threads on the Kolar comp body are the same as the Cutts, and the chokes are interchangeable. Last time I used my barrel reader on the chokes I found the Kolar Skeet choke was just a hair more open than the Cutts IC choke.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Level I Instructor