It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cop dies in wreck, ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am 
Crown Grade

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... /694123002

I have it on good account that this deceased officer was ejected from the vehicle.

So, was he wearing his seatbelt? And, if not should he be partially liable for his own death, in a legal sense?

'Cause they are going to railroad this poor sob that murdered a cop by running away. It just don't seem right.

Where's OSHA on this?

'knowledge is a deadly friend if no one sets the rules' - king crimson

Post subject: Re: Cop dies in wreck, ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:41 am 
Crown Grade

Really? The suspect is being charged with the death of a cop that sucks at driving? Don't wanna die in a car crash then don't chase a non-threat. Simple as that Barney! Maybe the next time I fly down the Altamont Pass doing 90 MPH and I crash I'll blame someone else for my stupidity.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 am 
Crown Grade

No Maser. The cop was a good cop and the bad guy is a bad guy who should be removed from society for reasons unrelated to this cop's untimely death. . But, was the cop negligible in his own death?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 am 
Crown Grade

I don't care if the cop raped a toddler or was the second coming of Christ. The point I'm making is he's responsible for his own recklessness. The suspect didn't kill the cop. The cop killed the cop. All you cop lovers need to wake up and stop putting these people on a pedestal thinking that they're perfect and deserve special treatment. They don't!

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The dead policeman's name was Charles Irvin, Jr.

He died chasing a suspected drug dealer, who had been involved in a tainted drug overdose.

No indication, that the suspected drug dealer rammed Irvin's cruiser, nor that the policeman knew he was chasing a suspected drug dealer.

The common sense explanation, for this sad story, is that the young policeman never lived to comb gray hair, because he made the wrong choices while pursuing the drug dealer, and crashed his vehicle. He may not have been wearing a seat belt, either. Witnesses said the cruiser flipped over many times. Another policeman in the cruiser, lived to tell the story.

The law may hold the suspected drug dealer accountable for manslaughter, or even felony murder, for not pulling over when chased, but it was the policeman, who lost control of his cruiser. The driver of the car he was pursing, didn't flip his car and crash, during the chase.

The role of the policeman is to protect and serve, and it's a hazardous occupation, that sometimes costs the officer his life.

And somewhere unseen, is a mother shattered over the loss of her darling boy.

And another mother bereaved, that her son is accused of murdering him.

Just another day, in this old sin cussed world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Arlington TX, home of the world famous Dallas Cowboys
Quote:
So, was he wearing his seatbelt? And, if not should he be partially liable for his own death, in a legal sense?

Long ago (1971) in my first semester of law school, a legal research and writing class assignment was preparing a memorandum on the "seat belt defense," i.e., whether failure to wear a seat belt constituted contributory negligence or mitigation of damages in tort litigation. After researching the law in all 50 states, I concluded the answer was "no" in states following contributory negligence doctrine, but "yes" in those that had adopted comparative negligence doctrine. That may have changed in the intervening years.

Moreover, my old research was only pertinent to civil litigation. I doubt Irvine's failure to wear a seat belt is any kind of defense to the felony charges against Harrison for Irvine's death.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2018/06/12/milwaukee-police-officer-charles-irvine-charges-pending-driver-pursuit/694123002

I have it on good account that this deceased officer was ejected from the vehicle.
Sorry OT - I read through a couple of the links about this accident/crash and can't find a single reference to Officer Irvine being ejected from the squad car. Can you offer any published source that would back up your account that he was?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

texnekkid wrote:
Quote:

Long ago (1971) in my first semester of law school, a legal research and writing class assignment was preparing a memorandum on the "seat belt defense," i.e., whether failure to wear a seat belt constituted contributory negligence or mitigation of damages in tort litigation. After researching the law in all 50 states, I concluded the answer was "no" in states following contributory negligence doctrine, but "yes" in those that had adopted comparative negligence doctrine. That may have changed in the intervening years.

Moreover, my old research was only pertinent to civil litigation. I doubt Irvine's failure to wear a seat belt is any kind of defense to the felony charges against Harrison for Irvine's death.

Louisiana is a pure comparative negligence state. However, a statute was enacted here absolving non-seatbelt wearers of any liability for their failure to do so. Doesn't necessarily make a whole lot of sense to me...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Dubob, it was reported on the fox6 news MKE this morrning that the deceased officer was ejected and that the surviving officer was the driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:06 am 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
Dubob, it was reported on the fox6 news MKE this morrning that the deceased officer was ejected and that the surviving officer was the driver.
Thank you Sir.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”