It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Crimp Angle Issue - Help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum as I recently started hand loading new hulls. I've reloaded trap shells for a while, but I've never hand loaded new, primed hulls. I seem to be having issues with my MEC Sizemaster on the final crimp station. I consistently get an angled crimp, with half the crimp rim being perfect and the other half being too deep (see pics as I really don't know how to explain it). I've done every type of Cam adjustment possible, but all that does is make my crimp too deep or too shallow. It does nothing to get rid of the angle. I'm thinking something is set up off-kilter and it is not giving me a consistent (or perfectly centered) final crimp. Can anyone help me out with this issue? It is extremely frustrating!

The set-up:
New MEC Sizemaster set to 3" shells (mounted on a reloading table)
Super Crown Crimp Starter 6 Point
3" New, primed Cheddite Hulls

Pics:

https://ibb.co/jWtC7y
https://ibb.co/cbag0J

Last edited by peachykuehn on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Final Crimp Angle Issue - Help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm just throwing darts here, but I would check to make sure your press is making a full stroke at your current adjustments for each station.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi ,
Im a european loader and we normally dont reload , 12g 100% new hulls , 16g i reload my steel target hulls to 1- 1 1/16 lead loads.
What you need is a so called crimp finisher gaep.net or OMV.it sell them , my personal favorite in 12g
Is OMV SP12-2 it have a M6 fitting tread and you mount it in a bench drill. A short stroke will give them a factory look. A tips is , set the final station ” loose” so the mounth if shell is a bit ugly , then you get it a fast short stroke with the crimper. Your final lenght of finished cartridge should be
63,8-64mm .

Ps : all american reloaders dont like how we european does , so if you go further with it , we can mail
And i fly you down ( i support loaders in sweden Norway and som stateside and crimper is the sh*t)
/P

Last edited by culot on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Make sure your final crimp die is square and true to the press and base. Loosen the die at the die head and rotate it 180* and see if the tall side of the crimped hull follows.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've seen that before when the primers were not being pressed in far enough, they made the shells stand lopsided a bit. When the final crimp pressure came down, it sometimes pressed the primer in, but usually one side of the hull would begin crimping more than the other just like your picture shows, as the off-kilter shell was pressed down on the uneven support of a slightly proud primer.

If this might be a factor for you, then lengthen your station 2 primer tube so it sits lower, it will exert more pressure on the hull and compress the spring hull sits on more, forcing primer in deeper. You basically can't make it too long on a Sizemaster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Two questions,

1) Is the crimp starter putting an even crimp start on the hull? Both centered and horizontal.

2) Is the plunger bent?

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave in AZ wrote:
I've seen that before when the primers were not being pressed in far enough, they made the shells stand lopsided a bit. .

I have also seen this cause an issue with the wads catching the mouth of the hull in station 3. What caused me fits was it was always the same side of the hull so I thought I had a wad guide issue.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Primer seating depth doesn't matter on a MEC, because there is a hole beneath the stations.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dogchaser37 wrote:
Primer seating depth doesn't matter on a MEC, because there is a hole beneath the stations.

But they dont always hit the hole, believe me it was a problem. Strange but true.
They were seated deep enough to allow the carrier plate to always rotate, but a few of them would tip towards the column and end up with a cocked wad and damaged hull lip 180* from the column.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:36 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am out of town and haven’t had a chance to check anything. However, I do remember the MEC super crown crimp starter does act a little funny. It hits the rim of the hull straight and flush; however, as I do my downward stroke, the spring overlaps itself as it compresses making the crimp starter slightly angled towards the end of my stroke. Can this be the issue? If so, how do I keep the spring from the doing that? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If a spring overlaps itself you have compressed it so much that the coils touch, or what is called coil bind. Either the spring is worn out or you have to figure out why you need/have that much compression at that point.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like you don't have your precrimper installed correctly. It shouldn't compress the spring as you pull the handle.
See the Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlIijIK69c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oregunner

I agree with you fully now that I saw your video, but its easy to see how someone could install it incorrectly if they watched the same video I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89JpxxCyLE

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the video! I did not have the nut on the bottom because I could not get the wingnut on. I didn’t realize I could take off the spring. I will take off spring, put the nut on and then tighten her down. I bet that’s it!