It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pad Adjuster Opinions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 am 
Utility Grade

Hello

After some more time and trying out another members gun I need to install a pad adjuster on my shotgun.

There seems to be a multitude of options out there.

I wanted to gather any opinions from what people have used ?

- ease of adjustment ?
- ease of install ?

At this point I was looking at the SPS adjuster or the Jones adjuster. With the Jones it appears I will need to take less off of the stock to fit it.

Post subject: Re: Pad Adjuster Opinions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

It might just be you need to be fitted for your gun and find out you need more than an adjustable pad. You might also find out all you need is a recoil pad installed at your required LOP. I don't put a lot of faith in "the other shooters are doing it" method of gun fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
It might just be you need to be fitted for your gun and find out you need more than an adjustable pad. You might also find out all you need is a recoil pad installed at your required LOP. I don't put a lot of faith in "the other shooters are doing it" method of gun fitting.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why do you believe that you need a pad adjuster? What do you plan to do with it?

How tall are you?

What do you weigh?

With the gun mounted, where is the top of the recoil pad relative to your collarbone?

Do you wear a shooting vest when you shoot?

What clay discipline to you shoot most often?

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for the advice

ok I will eventually get that done but regardless I would like the adjustability of the an adjustable recoil pad for the options.

can anyone reccomend a company for recoil pads

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
Why do you believe that you need a pad adjuster? What do you plan to do with it?

How tall are you?

What do you weigh?

With the gun mounted, where is the top of the recoil pad relative to your collarbone?

Do you wear a shooting vest when you shoot?

What clay discipline to you shoot most often?

Hello Rollin

I believe I need one because I am mimicking the gun I used this weekend. I went to a skeet clinic and had to send my O/U back to Beretta to deal with an issue.

I have a Citori CXS but its actually a pain to shoot. I tried out a buddies Citori with an adjustable comb and adjustable recoil pad and it fit really well. Adjustable comb was a bit high but i liked the recoil pad.

I know I need to work on my mount but when I mount the gun I have to put it pretty high so the way he had his adjusted with a 9.5 degree pitch was great. LOP 14.25 was also perfect with the pad adjusted slight lower so it fits in the pocket better. I shot it basically the whole class with no discomfort, no cheek slap, and I did pretty well in the class

Onto the question

1. 5'6"
2. Weight 155
3. With the gun mounted the top of the recoil pad is approx 1.5-2inches above my collarbone
4. No shooting vest
5. Mainly shoot skeet right now but I would like to get into sporting clays as well.

thanks
chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1. 5'6"
2. Weight 155
3. With the gun mounted the top of the recoil pad is approx 1.5-2inches above my collarbone
4. No shooting vest
5. Mainly shoot skeet right now but I would like to get into sporting clays as well.

Chris,

Assuming that your neck length is average for someone of your height, you should not need to lower the recoil pad if you mount the gun with the top of the recoil pad just below your collarbone.

I am making a sizeable assumption here: that your head and neck are in their normal/natural/usual posture, and that your neck is neither leaned forward nor pulled back when your cheek is making snug contact with the comb.

I do not understand exactly why a high mount was required. Please explain if it seems important to you.

The pitch is right for you IF, at the end of your gun mount (with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height) when you bring the gun back to your shoulder pocket, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

I suspect that the pitch on the borrowed gun may be involved given the way you were mounting your Citori.

The LOP seems like it is right for you, but the way to tell for sure would be to measure the distance between the second knuckle on your trigger-hand thumb and the tip of your nose when the gun is mounted. With a consistent gun mount, a 1" separation is fine. Without a consistent mount and if you do not wear heavier clothing during the winter, something closer to 1.5" is preferred.

(Practice is the only way to achieve a consistency. It is important to achieve mount consistency.)

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
1. 5'6"
2. Weight 155
4. No shooting vest

Chris,

Assuming that your neck length is average for someone of your height, you should not need to lower the recoil pad if you mount the gun with the top of the recoil pad just below your collarbone.

I am making a sizeable assumption here: that your head and neck are in their normal/natural/usual posture, and that your neck is neither leaned forward nor pulled back when your cheek is making snug contact with the comb.

I do not understand exactly why a high mount was required. Please explain if it seems important to you.

The pitch is right for you IF, at the end of your gun mount (with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height) when you bring the gun back to your shoulder pocket, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

I suspect that the pitch on the borrowed gun may be involved given the way you were mounting your Citori.

The LOP seems like it is right for you, but the way to tell for sure would be to measure the distance between the second knuckle on your trigger-hand thumb and the tip of your nose when the gun is mounted. With a consistent gun mount, a 1" separation is fine. Without a consistent mount and if you do not wear heavier clothing during the winter, something closer to 1.5" is preferred.

(Practice is the only way to achieve a consistency. It is important to achieve mount consistency.)

Thanks for the feedback Rollin I really do appreciate it

My neck is actually leaned forward when my cheek makes snug contact with the comb on my guns. Maybe I have a longer neck than avg for my height ?

Well I think the high mount was required because I need to stretch my neck forward when mounting my personal guns. The gun I borrowed in the class I could keep my head in a more natural position and it was still comfortable to shoot.

With the gun with 9.5 degrees pitch the bottom of the pad was making flush contact. My other issue with the citori was cheek slap. I literally had a bump after shooting only 50 shells or so.

I know you are correct with mount consistency. Being a new shooter to shotgun sports (im a uspsa shooter) ive been working on a consistent mount. Which is why I was considering an adjustable pad for the adjustment. If I need to change something it can be done versus having to redo things all over again

I may be coming at this from the wrong angle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

littlewing6283 wrote:
Rollin Oswald wrote:
1. 5'6"
2. Weight 155
4. No shooting vest

Chris,

Thanks for the feedback Rollin I really do appreciate it

My neck is actually leaned forward when my cheek makes snug contact with the comb on my guns. Maybe I have a longer neck than avg for my height ?

Very possibly. Try mounting the gun with a little under an inch of the pad extending above your collarbone and see how that feels - and what it does the to the pitch on the stock.

Well I think the high mount was required because I need to stretch my neck forward when mounting my personal guns. The gun I borrowed in the class I could keep my head in a more natural position and it was still comfortable to shoot.

That makes sense.

With the gun with 9.5 degrees pitch the bottom of the pad was making flush contact. My other issue with the citori was cheek slap. I literally had a bump after shooting only 50 shells or so.

The wrong pitch and the need to lean the neck forward to put the cheek on the comb are both possible causes of cheek slap.

I know you are correct with mount consistency. Being a new shooter to shotgun sports (im a uspsa shooter) ive been working on a consistent mount. Which is why I was considering an adjustable pad for the adjustment. If I need to change something it can be done versus having to redo things all over again

FYI - When the pad is lowered and the cheek moves back on the comb, the need for whatever LOP the stock has, decreases because of the cheek being farther back on the comb.

I may be coming at this from the wrong angle

We'll get there. Ask questions if what I write makes little sense or if it just suggests a question.

Another FYI: Stock dimensions are interrelated; when one is changed another one is often affected, i.e. lower the recoil pad (= increase the drop at the heel dimension) and the LOP (length of pull/stock length) is affected. It can be confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

LW, take a few nickels and loosen pad on top. Put the nickels on top of the screw and tighten. Play with the pitch till it feels fine.
Jumped the gun a little. Have a pro check your gun mount. Head should be erect and mount the gun to your cheek. Don't lean into the gun. You will see some really crazy mounts at most ranges. I had a poor mount and shot in A class. Got a really excellent instructor, changed my mount and went pull away. After a year of practice and tournaments I ended up in M class. Good coaching and having fun...