It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 ga. Over-under for Wife
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

Looking to buy a 20ga over under for my wife. Looking at the 2 light Syren models vs Franchi Instinct SL.

She wants all the fancy laser engraving...I figured I could by the franchi, have the stock trimmed to fit her and custom laser engraving and still be cheaper than buying a Syren... so my question is - what are the advantages of buying a Syren over doing what I am proposing?

Post subject: Re: 20 ga. Over-under for Wife
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Whats the intended use?

As a clay target shooter myself, I would never buy something that light.

I recently purchased my significant other a Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting, the fitting included cutting for proper length of pull, changing the pitch angle, adding an adjustable butt, and adding an adjustable comb.

The gun and all the associated work came in at about $2600

I'll add that she is left handed so our options were few, but the fit is now perfect and she loves the gun.

The Beretta comes in at about 7-3/4 lbs, tolerable for 100 rounds on the Sporting Clays field or several rounds of skeet.

The guns you list are under 6 pounds, might be ok for field work but probably punishing for clay targets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Gun will primarily be used for upland hunting over a pointer. Will occasionally shoot sporting clays in prep for hunting season. She shoots my 20 ga. 725 Citori Feather - nothing punishing about a lightweight 20 ga. - she just wants her own "pretty one" that properly fits her...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Syren's are infinitely better guns than the Franchi. My wife hunts with a CG Tempio 20 that we bought before the Syren version came out. You pay your money and you take your chances. Having a wife with an unreliable gun is not my idea of a good time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101038740

Just a thought :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I handled a Beretta Vittoria earlier this year and loved it. 30" barrels.It is a version of the 690 and does not have the hated ejector cutoff. Beautiful wood and stock shape. I am a male with large hands. The slim pistol grip was not right for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

double post

Last edited by fatguywithafirearm on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

Do not overlook this little gem, 7 months in and I'm still shooting mine every chance I get.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/fausti- ... -u-shotgun
Here is my review FWIW.viewtopic.php?t=464944

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm 
Field Grade

fatguywithafirearm wrote:
Do not overlook this little gem, 7 months in and I'm still shooting mine every chance I get.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/fausti- ... -u-shotgun
Here is my review FWIW.viewtopic.php?t=464944

Fausti makes some nice lady fit guns too. I believe all of the owners are women...

Good shotguns!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife has shot an O/U only once and that was on driven birds in the UK.

Her guns are a 16 gauge Ugartechea SxS at 6# 7.6oz and a 20 Grulla SxS at 6#2oz. Both fit her well and she has never complained of recoil shooting 1 ounce at 1200 fps in the 16 gauge and 7/8 ounce at 1210 in the 20 gauge. Tuesday she shot her Ugartechea 16 at 5 stand and today she shot a round of sporting clays with her 20 gauge Grulla - her only complaint was the 90*+ heat.

Her Ugartechea has rolled "engraving" and her Grulla has real hand engraving - she thinks the Grulla is prettier but she likes both.

Neither her Ugartechea nor Grulla is a "ladies gun" but both have been reasonably well fitted to her and she shoots them well.

She prefers lighter guns because she not only shoots clays but hunts quail with them.

My recommendation, as always, is to have your wife shoot any guns she is interested in before buying - she may want the lighter or the heavier gun and the only way she will know is after shooting guns of different designs and weights. I thought my wife would prefer a gas semi-auto because of the "recoil reduction" so I gave her one as her first gun - after she bought a SxS to shoot with our Vintager group she so much preferred the SxS's that she gave her semi-auto to her grown son.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe check out Cynergy Micro Midas. 20 ga. w/26” barrel. I bought the Cynergy 20ga. Field and shot it so well that I also picked up the same gun in 12ga. She will either like it or hate it, but it’s worth a look. Good luck finding the right gun.