It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20ga sporting O/U
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looking for a 20 ga O/U under 3k. Looking to shoot skeet, sporting and 5 stand.

Post subject: Re: 20ga sporting O/U
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Browning, Beretta, SKB

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.gunsunlimitedomaha.com/catalog/item/BRN-SPECIAL%20SPORTING%20ADJ.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Highly recommend Browning 725 Sporting if it fits you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Browning CXS Sporter. A friend has one and it’s a fabulous value. I like that it’s not ported. The wood is really plain, but these guns perform. Spend the leftover money on targets and ammo.
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am 
Utility Grade

twohigh wrote:
Highly recommend Browning 725 Sporting if it fits you.

+1 love mine, a tad light though

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Browning or Beretta.
Shoot both and decide.
Mine is a Beretta.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Tons of no risk options for $3,000 or less brand new. You can't go wrong. Even more available if you include gently used. You are in a good situation. You could spend even less and have money left over for lessons, club membership, shells, targets, beer, etc., etc., etc., and still have a quality gun that will last a lifetime.

New: 725, Citori, Silver Pigeon, CXS, CX, among others.

Used: A plethora of choices!

Enjoy the search and shoot well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

In my opinion one of the best values in a 20ga O/U is the Browning Cynergy. The wood is a bit plain, but it has a low profile reciever like the 725 and Berettas and is less expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Coincidentally, after offering my non-expert opinion in this thread, just yesterday at a local shop I happened to get to handle a 20 ga. CSX for the first time. 30 inch with a non-adjustable comb.

It fit me very well although I usually require a little cast off (I'm pretty sure it was cast neutral) and handled very nicely. I had seen photos of them and from the photos, I had formed the opinion that I did not care for the slightly modernistic, non-traditional, checkering pattern and the Browning Buckmark embossed on the stock.

However, after studying the CSX I'd have to say it would make a heck of a dove and small guage clays gun, and in person, the checkering cosmetics issue dissolved for me. The checkering was very functinal and comfortable as well. The salesman put it on their shipping scale and it came in at 7.0 lbs.

Like chrcall, I too am planning on a 20 ga. O/U sometime in the not too distant future. My budget is significantly less than his 3k though. After examining the CSX it is definitely among those I will consider. I prefer Beretta over Browning but both are absolutely adequate. Regarding the CSX, it's a little heavier than I'd like to carry around for woodcock, grouse and bunnies. But great for dove and clays/skeet. The 20 ga. Berettas are about a whole pound lighter. I agree with spad124 that a Cynergy is a good bet too.

It's hard to find a name brand 20 ga. O/U that doesn't handle pretty well. I might have to get two...one for targets and dove, and another for carrying around. Although a 28-30 inch Beretta like I prefer is a pretty good compromise...a little light for clays, but shouldn't be too bad with 3/4 oz. loads, and light enough to carry around hunting.

Again, enjoy the search and let us know what you select!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Loving my CXS 32" 20 gauge. Seems to fit me like a glove, and I shoot it far better than either my SV-10 or my 725. Going to shoot it in the main at our state shoot.