It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sweet 16 on Grouse/Woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

Who's using one and what's your opinion on them?

I love a 16 gauge and don't even own one! Used my grandads old wingmaster 16 for years, but I'm in the market for one of my own now. Want a fox 16 but that's going to have to wait. Thinking about the sweet 16 in the very near future.

Post subject: Re: Sweet 16 on Grouse/Woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Crown Grade

The older Belgium long recoil Sweet Sixteen, or the new Inertia models?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
The older Belgium long recoil Sweet Sixteen, or the new Inertia models?

The older Belgian for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

If it fits you the Fox will only be a distant thought. They are without a doubt the finest semiauto ever made.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 am 
Field Grade

ohio mike wrote:
If it fits you the Fox will only be a distant thought. They are without a doubt the finest semiauto ever made.

Nice. Not as light as I thought it would be from research, being a single barrel gun, but 6 3/4# isn't bad. They are certainly proud of them on the auction sites. Going to keep a look out locally for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Liking depends....some do not like the shuffle and the slam, I love it and 6 3/4# is fine for those w/o issues.
I would always choose a plain barrel tho.
I think that shooting with a more erect head position follows with the Auto 5 but....that may just be me.
Low recoil guns, for sure but a different sensation, for certainty.

Many prefer the Light 20 Auto 5 over the Sweet, I would say they may be correct but.....one likes what one prefers.
Find one to try on....first and then, decide.

More is involved with an Auto 5 than killing stuff.....the killers, Internet experts and modern scattergun mathematicians will always find better choices today....again, try one and see who you are.

If you do find one then consider the springs, look at the forend for cracks and realize they can be made like new again for comparably cheap money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

I was also going to mention the Light 20. You can buy one in better condition for much less money than the true Sweet 16.

And probably find much better ammo choices anywhere you go.

I like all long recoil Auto-5’s. Belgium ones, Miroku ones. One of my all time favorite shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 am 
Field Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
I was also going to mention the Light 20. You can buy one in better condition for much less money than the true Sweet 16.

And probably find much better ammo choices anywhere you go.

I like all long recoil Auto-5’s. Belgium ones, Miroku ones. One of my all time favorite shotguns.

Prices seem to be right in line with each other or even more for the 20...at least on gun broker. I'll keep up the search.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 am 
Diamond Grade

Great choice! Sweet 16s are special...in a class of their own.

I grew up as kid understandably not knowledgeable about shotguns, admiring my wonderful Dad and his buddies, who would skip work on opening day and then come home with a bunch of rabbits and pheasants. He'd work on them in the kitchen sink as I watched. It hooked me on the upland life forever...even before I was old enough to tag along. Mom would console me as they headed out the door before daylight because I was too young to accompany them. I'd watch him clean his gun and I'd practice handling it, dreaming of the day i would be "big enough" to carry it while Dad and I were hunting together with his pals. Priceless memories. Those experiences actually helped shape my career and education.

The gun he used was a 16 ga. Model 11 Sportsman. Shortly thereafter he was a widowed single father and could never afford a Browning. The Model 11 is nowhere near the the same handling as a true Sweet, but ever since then, I have always admired, and sometimes lusted after a true Sweet 16. I owned, hunted, competed with and reloaded for several 16 ga. guns for a period, but I hardly ever use that guage much anymore.

I have not yet owned a Sweet or Belgian A-5, but now that I'm at the twilight of my bird chasing days, I may just get one because...well... are just plain old "special". If you have to ask why, they might not be for you.

I'd be happy with a couple of different iterations, but for a Sweet my choice would be a circa 1953 or so with a plain 26 or 28 inch barrel; or, I'd actually prefer a 20 guage. I'd ream the choke if need be.

Funny, even before I saw this thread just now, I'd planned on shooting that beat up old Model 11 for a couple of rounds of skeet this afternoon or tomorrow for the first time in years, and honoring my Dad with fond thoughts and memories.

Good luck with your search!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice post, Grouse Gunner.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Great choice! Sweet 16s are special...in a class of their own.

I grew up as kid understandably not knowledgeable about shotguns, admiring my wonderful Dad and his buddies, who would skip work on opening day and then come home with a bunch of rabbits and pheasants. He'd work on them in the kitchen sink as I watched. It hooked me on the upland life forever...even before I was old enough to tag along. Mom would console me as they headed out the door before daylight because I was too young to accompany them. I'd watch him clean his gun and I'd practice handling it, dreaming of the day i would be "big enough" to carry it while Dad and I were hunting together with his pals. Priceless memories. Those experiences actually helped shape my career and education.

The gun he used was a 16 ga. Model 11 Sportsman. Shortly thereafter he was a widowed single father and could never afford a Browning. The Model 11 is nowhere near the the same handling as a true Sweet, but ever since then, I have always admired, and sometimes lusted after a true Sweet 16. I owned, hunted, competed with and reloaded for several 16 ga. guns for a period, but I hardly ever use that guage much anymore.

I have not yet owned a Sweet or Belgian A-5, but now that I'm at the twilight of my bird chasing days, I may just get one because...well... are just plain old "special". If you have to ask why, they might not be for you.

I'd be happy with a couple of different iterations, but for a Sweet my choice would be a circa 1953 or so with a plain 26 or 28 inch barrel; or, I'd actually prefer a 20 guage. I'd ream the choke if need be.

Funny, even before I saw this thread just now, I'd planned on shooting that beat up old Model 11 for a couple of rounds of skeet this afternoon or tomorrow for the first time in years, and honoring my Dad with fond thoughts and memories.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the post. I love hearing people's stories.

May I ask, why is it you don't use the gauge much anymore? People seem to love a 20 gauge, but I haven't been able to climb on board that train...likely because I just haven't given it a chance. I own an old 1400 20 that, again, my dad bought me over 20 years ago. First gun he purchased for me and it happens to be an Imp Cyl. Pretty heavy for a twenty but maybe I should give it a fair shake and see how it will perform. I bet I haven't run more than a few boxes of shells through it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

If we had grouse, I'd use the sweet sixteen on them...but we have ducks...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe cruise over to 16ga.com and see what they have available. You might find something to your liking there. I have owned at least 4 or 5 Browning Sweet 16s and one standard 16. I shot the Standard 16 with 26 inch barrel and solid rib in IC choke best of all! Killed 6 pheasants with 7 shots on all wild birds and no dog. 3 hunters and the others complained that I was killing all their birds. I said well what do you want me to do, let them go? Pretty lucky that day. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 pm 
Field Grade

Rubberhead wrote:
If we had grouse, I'd use the sweet sixteen on them...but we have ducks...

Ha!! I live in Moncks Corner, I'm just originally from WV, thus the screen name. Yeah, no grouse here....quail either really. I do enjoy woodcock season down here though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:49 am 
Presentation Grade

WVbirdman wrote:
Ha!! I live in Moncks Corner...

No way...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 am 
Field Grade

Rubberhead wrote:
WVbirdman wrote:
Ha!! I live in Moncks Corner...

No way...

Yep, outskirts. Near cypress garden rd and 17A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

WVbirdman wrote:

... People seem to love a 20 gauge, but I haven't been able to climb on board that train...likely because I just haven't given it a chance..

The 20ga is about the perfect gun for grouse (and 28ga for woodcock)...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

Not a Browning, I know, but a Franchi AL 48 in 20 ga. is pretty close, and a nice, light classic grouse gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

MNGunner wrote:
WVbirdman wrote:

... People seem to love a 20 gauge, but I haven't been able to climb on board that train...likely because I just haven't given it a chance..

The 20ga is about the perfect gun for grouse (and 28ga for woodcock)...

I apologize for being off topic with this comment, but the above comment about the 28 gauge reminded me of something I thought peculiar. I found out this rather bewildering fact during my grouse hunt at Pineridge Grouse camp last year. Yes, there were a lot of 28 gauges being used, but they were shooting 7/8 ounce, and even 1 ounce loads in them. I don't think the camp even stocked 3/4 ounce 28 gauge loads. I know they did not stock any 7/8 ounce for 20 gauge. I used the 7/8 ounce 20s I brought. I understand the practice of using a 28 gauge, but loading it with standard 20 gauge and even 16 gauge (1 oz.) loads? Is that just so you can say you shot your bird with a 28 gauge? What about the highly touted many advantages of a 3/4 ounce shot charge being a "square" load in the 28 gauge?
I use a 20 gauge that weighs no more than a 28 gauge at 5 3/4 lbs and I use 7/8 ounce of shot. Does that mean I can now claim to be shooting a 28 gauge? LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:16 am 
Diamond Grade

oyeme wrote:
I use a 20 gauge that weighs no more than a 28 gauge at 5 3/4 lbs and I use 7/8 ounce of shot. Does that mean I can now claim to be shooting a 28 gauge?

Pretty much, yes.
Silly, isn’t it?...but such things make openings to buy new shotguns or to keep up with new next-bests for shooters and a few hunters and the odd message board guru.

An ounce is an ounce is an ounce......a 16 gauge may handle larger shot somewhat better and the esthetics can give a scaled 28 gauge appeal but 16-20-28 with 7/8-1 ounce are pert well equal.....at least, for most of us humans.

To the topic at hand, anyone surely knows or should that a Sweet 16 works swell...as do most scatterguns.
So...shoot what you like to look at and adjust if necessary.
If that choice, for ruffed grouse, is 1 1/8 -6s out of a 12 gauge...good, it will work just fine if choked reasonably and pointed/triggered correctly.

As I age, it appears that joy is too easily sucked out of all the bird hunting bits and pieces by the search for perfect or perfection.....gun to dog to boot.
The Internet, for all the help it delivers, is much to blame.