It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This fell out of my Shotgun
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone. Glad I finally decided to join this site after a lot of lurking. Anyway, I have a Beretta A350 Xtrema. Great gun, not too many complaints (except camo flaking off). Shoots well and I have about 1400 rounds through it.

After shooting about 100 rounds of trap tonight, I noticed a rattle in the stock. I opened it up and found this in there. I have no idea where it goes or even what it is after extensive searching. Thought it may have been a firing pin retaining pin? Any help would be appreciated. It is about 3/8" long and maybe 1/8" diameter with a slit.

I will probably be sending the gun back to Beretta to address the bad dip/camo flaking so might as well send this part back with it since I've only had it for about 10 months. Just curious as to what this part is. Thanks! Image

-Benelli Supernova Turkey
-Mossberg 500 Flex

Post subject: Re: This fell out of my Shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 am 
Diamond Grade

It is a rolled steel pin. Find a schematic and look for a rolled pin in the diagram.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 am 
Utility Grade

railroad wrote:
It is a rolled steel pin. Find a schematic and look for a rolled pin in the diagram.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I figured out it was a roll pin after talking to a friend. Only problem is that it seems like the Beretta A350 is the ugly step child of Beretta since they have almost no info on it. Can't find a schematic anywhere.

On similar models (Xtrema 2, A300 Xtrema), the pin looks like it is located near the action release button in the receiver, but not exactly sure where it goes. Kind of strange it came out of the stock on mine. If it is located in the receiver, it's amazing that it made its way into the stock without falling out!

-Mossberg 500 Flex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am 
Diamond Grade

Not familiar with your model, but if it has a recoil spring and guide rod, the pin may be on the end of the guide rod. This could put it in the stock area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am 
Tournament Grade

That appears to be the roll pin that goes behind the retaining pin that goes through the release button/she’ll latch. It goes in the hole about 1/4” below the release button hole. To remove that pin, it is driven with a pin punch and falls into the receiver. Visually check the hole underneath the release button, if you don’t see the roll pin there, then that is the issue. Next, see if you can stick a pin or paper clip through the hole without any resistance. If you can, we know the roll pin is missing. Now we need to make sure the steel pin that goes through the shell latch is still in place. Chances are it is if your gun is working correctly but look at the bottom of the receiver below the hole where the roll pin goes. This is where the steel pin is inserted. It goes up that hole, through the shell latch, and when it’s in fully, the rear of it will be far enough down in that hole for your roll pin to be driven into its hole from the side. This keeps the steel pin from backing out.
Get back to us if that does not appear to be where the roll pin came from. There is also the chance that this was just a stray pin that was lost somehow in the shop and did not actually come from your gun. Let us know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Pretty much anything that gets in the receiver can make its way into the stock through the hole in front of the stock that the hammer struts protrude thru when the bolt comes back. The A 350 is just a stripped down xtreme. The stock and forend are more generic and it doesn’t have the 1/4 turn magazine plug. I don’t think it has a cartridge stop opposite the bolt release either IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's too big for the bolt stop/shell catch/release, most likely retains the action spring cap

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Tournament Grade

The action spring is on the magazine tube, no cap there. Nothing in the stock has a roll pin to my knowledge. There are a couple of other things it may be, and with photos it’s hard to get pin size. Let us know what you find. That gun has a rotating bolt as well, so it is possible that it is the pin that holds the extractor in place. But you’d be missing more than that if it was gone.
There is also a roll pin that holds the ejector in place

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, if there is nothing in the stock, just a bolt holding the stock to the receiver, there is no way that it got out of the action and into the stock.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not familiar with this specific gun but roll (or spring pins as they are also called) pins are commonly found in shotgun trigger assemblies

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Alright after going through the trigger assembly and the breech bolt assembly, I could not find anywhere that looked like it was missing the pin. I decided to check the stock and take that fully apart. I pulled the stock off and something didn't seem right with how the bolt was loosening so when I pulled it out, I realized that there was a hole that locked the stock bolt into the receiver. When the stock bolt is tightened down, the receiver and stock bolt have a hole that lines up perfectly.

I fit the pin in there and it sits flush. Now I can shim the gun or add the offset washers in the back without the whole stock coming off. I was very surprised to see this pin in the stock. You can see the picture below. Thanks everyone for your help!!

-Mossberg 500 Flex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:57 am 
Tournament Grade

That is the newer type stock tube that has some movement to it. The older type actually screwed into the receiver and was rigid. I’ve worked on a lot of both types but never realized that pin was there and never had a reason to look. I’ve seen that used in some xcels and xtremes. Strangely, none of the diagrams show it for either gun.