It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing the Right Powder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:25 am 
Utility Grade

So, after a ten year hiatus I've decided to begin loading shot shells again. I've dusted off the press and found my hulls (AA), shot (#8) and wads (WAA12 & WAA12F1/SL). I have Winchester 209 primers but no powder.

Currently, my interest is in target loads, 1 - 1 1/8 oz. As I re-learn how to not suck at shooting clay targets I may branch out, but not yet.

With so many choices available, how do I choose an appropriate powder? I'm not interested in endless experimentation, I simply don't have the time. Are there "standard" go-to powders to start with?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Rodney

Post subject: Re: Choosing the Right Powder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Red Dot
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... List.aspx&

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

Red Dot has been around forever, is a good, economical powder, has long been a favorite for 12 ga. target loads, has been "cleaned up" a long time ago, and works well. It's a GOOD choice!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Or Hodgdon's Clays.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Pretty similar in performance to Alliant's Red Dot (a little more expensive). Lots of recipes for both Red Dot and Clays, and either will work well for you. For now at least both are readily available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First, I'm assuming your hulls are the old-style compression formed AAs and not the new style "HS" hulls with a separate plastic base wad (cut one open to make sure). Assuming they are old style, there are a variety of powders which could be considered "go to" by just about anyone. They include Red Dot, Clays, Titewad, Promo, 700X, IMR Red. If they are the new style hulls, I would use Titewad, as it is a dense powder and will work better with those wads you have.

Do you recall what kind of powder it was you used before you started your sabbatical? If you do, I would just go with that because you probably already have the appropriate bushing in your reloader. One other suggestion is to also dust off your powder scale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

rkrcpa wrote:
So, after a ten year hiatus I've decided to begin loading shot shells again. I've dusted off the press and found my hulls (AA), shot (#8) and wads (WAA12 & WAA12F1/SL). I have Winchester 209 primers but no powder.

Currently, my interest is in target loads, 1 - 1 1/8 oz. As I re-learn how to not suck at shooting clay targets I may branch out, but not yet.

With so many choices available, how do I choose an appropriate powder? I'm not interested in endless experimentation, I simply don't have the time. Are there "standard" go-to powders to start with?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Rodney

First step, decide EXACTLY what you want that load to do.

Second, consult load data, top find a powder that does 3 things:
1- carries the payload you want
2- delivers the velocity you want
3- does the above 2 things at close to the maximum allowed pressure level of the cartridge.
The above will narrow your list tremendously, doesn't matter the rest of the load, the same "plan of attack" will help you sort out hunting loads and SD loads.
If you want something weal off kilter with normality, well, you may well find you are on your own without published data.

As it so happens, Red Dot has been doing the above for a very long time with 12-gauge 1 1/8th ounces of lead shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

I load alliant claydot for my 1 oz loads but red dot is a fine one also. Whichever you find available at the best price. I use claybuster wads and remington gun club hulls. And also welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm 
Crown Grade

rkrcpa wrote:

Currently, my interest is in target loads, 1 - 1 1/8 oz.

Promo. It's cheap and does the job. If you are reloading to save money, why use anything else?

Last edited by ShowMe on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

Personally, I would prefer Red Dot or Unique. But there are a lot of other very good powders out there. I suggest you look at current reload data then make a list. When you go to your LGS you will have a list so that you can make a good choice from whatever they might have available. Remember, they may not have your first choice in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rkrcpa; My apologies for my neglecting, in my prior post, to welcome you to SGW. I hope you will forgive me for the oversight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I've always used Red Dot but you could make it an all-Winchester show and use Winchester WST.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am 

Winchester WST has a nice flavored Fragrance after combustion!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Look at the powder company loading manuals and published loads. You can see that most powders have a sweet spot. For me I look for performance with the least amount of powder used and price. As such I use 700X for most of my 12 gauge 7/8 and 1oz loading. Universal Clays for 20 gauge because I use tubes. Both are readily available in my area.
My favorite 12 gauge 1 oz. load is AA hull, 17.2 grains 700X, Win 209, STS 7 1/2 shot and CB1100 wad. I don't load 1 1/8, lead is expensive. Welcome back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just use what you were using 10 years ago. The only thing you will find that is different is the price.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

You might want to take a serious look at using 1 oz loads. Unless you are shooting targets at a fairly sizeable distance that's really all you will need. Pretty much the same powders will work for 1 oz as for 1 1/8 oz. I use Promo most of the time but have also used Titewad and Vectan AS with good results. 1 oz loads give a little more leeway pressure-wise so I typically settle on a formula by tuning the velocity to my preferred 1200 - 1225 FPS range. I find that with all those powders (and many mentioned by others) I get within that range with no problem staying below the maximum loads specified by the powder manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

#1 Figure out if you have AACF or AAHS hulls. Lyman's 5th has pictures that show the difference. Despite what many manuals say, they are NOT the same. Loads that fit well in CF do not fit well in HS. This is a simple solvable problem but you would be wise to not ignore it. It is normally solved by selecting slightly longer/shorter wads or denser/fluffier powder.

#2 Pick a velocity. Many powders that are fine choices for 1 1/8 at 1150 FPS will have pressures getting pretty high at 1200 and way high at 1250.

#3 Give some thought to 1 ounce loads. They are currently a lot more popular than 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Nebs wrote:
Just use what you were using 10 years ago. The only thing you will find that is different is the price.

Well duh! Why did it take so long for someone to propose the simple and very obvious answer?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ShowMe wrote:
Nebs wrote:

Well duh! Why did it take so long for someone to propose the simple and very obvious answer?
See the fifth post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot, 700x, e3, American Select. Promo is the least expensive. Clay Dot is less expensive than the others. But more than Promo. E3 and Clays are very clean burning. I personally use more Clays, Clay Dot, and Extra Light than anything else but Extra Light is a little to fast in burn rate for 1 1/8oz.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Promo will work just fine and the price is right.