It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powder price
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just moved to Colo and decided to check Bass Pro.
Unique was $34 per pound.
That’s crazy!

Post subject: Re: Powder price
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The big box retailers are not the places to buy reloading components. The best prices will be from either group buys at clubs, local mom and pop retailers an the online vendors. Reloaded ammo using components sources from the likes of Bass Pro will wind up costing more than factory loads. The only exception I can recall is Cabelas had a deal on Eagle shot, it was 10% off with free shipping, worked out to about $36/bag. I bought 10 bags, much to the chagrin of my UPS driver. The caveat with the online vendors is haz mat fees and shipping charges.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At Bass Pro, if you order online, the hazmat is $32, plus tax and shipping. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

I recently placed an order from powder valley. I could pack 45 (IIRC) pounds under one hazmat. Hazmat, shipping and insurance was $43.50 , do think that is bad going to Florida. Between powders and primers , for shot shell and metalic, Unique was $19.00 per pound.

Get a few folks together and make an order, it saves a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you are only buying small amounts, try Sportsman’s Warehouse, or buy much more. Graf and Sons include shipping $10 hazmat and fee for Ins and handling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Glad I live within driving distance of BPI.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Right now, if you are patient both Graf’s and Powder Valley have deals on shipping and/or Hazmat.

Just think ahead and take advantage of these deals before you really need powder.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 am 
Crown Grade

myflatline wrote:
I recently placed an order from powder valley. I could pack 45 (IIRC) pounds under one hazmat. Hazmat, shipping and insurance was $43.50 , do think that is bad going to Florida. Between powders and primers , for shot shell and metalic, Unique was $19.00 per pound.

Why didn't you just go to either Robinson Ranch or Silver Dollar? No shipping, no hazmat; yes to sales tax

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
myflatline wrote:

Why didn't you just go to either Robinson Ranch or Silver Dollar? No shipping, no hazmat; yes to sales tax

Meant to say, I didn't think it was bad. I have not had time to go up to Robinson and talk with them. Seems that 4 letter word keeps getting in the way,,,,Work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:51 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

UPS shipping and $13 hazmat at CAC:
https://cacassociatesinc.com/

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:50 am 
Field Grade

I agree with Bob, CAC is an excellent choice. Today 8 lbs. of Unique is $108.60. I got some powder and primers several weeks ago. UPS delivery within about 4 days (I live about 100 miles from them). I am hard of hearing and their polite staff was very patient when ordering by phone. There is a 3% credit card fee, but prices are VERY low.
When I buy lead, I drive out and pay by check or cash. They are good people.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

There are some fundamental facts when it comes to powder prices:

If you buy Alliant or Hodgdon powder in 1 pound or 14oz containers, you will pay way too much, no matter where you buy it. The per pound price is MUCH better in 8 pound jugs.

Unless you are lucky enough to live near somebody like CAC or Powder Valley (and a FEW others,) you will get better pricing with mail order.

If you mail order, you will save on hazmat and shipping with larger (6 jug) quantities. And, shopping around for hazmat and shipping deals is worthwhile.

IF you want smaller quantities of each powder and a bigger variety and still good pricing, think Vectan. It comes in 1.1 pound (1/2 kg) bottles but at typical 8 pound jug per pound pricing (sometimes a bit less.) You can get 1.1 pounds each of 8 different powders for about what you would pay for an 8 pound jug of a Hodgdon or Alliant powder. For some this is a nice feature, for some, of no importance.

Walk into Bass Pro, or Cabellas, or Sheels or xxx big box sporting goods store and buy one pound or 14 oz of powder and you will pay 150-200% of what it really should cost. Same is true on one bag of wads or 1000 primers. Those big fancy stores with the sky lights and indoor ferris wheel and mounted game and coffee bar are not cheap. The money to build all that comes from somewhere.