It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori’s ejector issue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm 
Utility Grade

My wife’s XT is driving me nuts. Had the ejector hammer spring changed to cause it to extract. Wife wanted it changed back to eject. Simple enough. Ordered the factory springs. Bottom ejector hammer will not cock (like its supposed to.). If you cock it by hand...it will function and eject. With the lighter springs in...it cocks just fine. Acts like the hammer doesn’t get forced forward far enough. Easily locks in position when cocked by hand. Tried changing the ejector extension, thinking maybe it was worn...but no dice. Any thoughts appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Citori’s ejector issue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Medic911 wrote:
My wife’s XT is driving me nuts. Had the ejector hammer spring changed to cause it to extract. Wife wanted it changed back to eject. Simple enough. Ordered the factory springs. Bottom ejector hammer will not cock (like its supposed to.). If you cock it by hand...it will function and eject. With the lighter springs in...it cocks just fine. Acts like the hammer doesn’t get forced forward far enough. Easily locks in position when cocked by hand. Tried changing the ejector extension, thinking maybe it was worn...but no dice. Any thoughts appreciated.

Trying to understand your situation here. You are saying that after firing both barrels (live ammo or dryfire) and opening the gun FULLY, and then closing it firmly but not slamming it shut, the ejector hammer on the right side of the forend is not cocked?

And you remove the forend to KNOW this is the situation?

Further, after removing the forend and finding that the right/lower ejector hammer is not cocked, you can cock it by hand using a screwdriver or some pointed object and reassemble the gun and then it will work correctly for the next firing of the lower barrel?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While waiting for answers/confirmations, I'll just ramble a bit about things that MIGHT be the problem.

There might be some junk/crud in the ejector sear on the right side or in the little hidden spring that pushes it up.

This ejector sear may need some lubrication. I use grease on mine.

Have you tried switching the ejector hammer springs (right for left) and see what happens? Maybe one spring is a bit too long or is getting coil bound, but if you can cock it manually, that seems to rule that out... maybe. :)

Do both ejector trip rods extend the same from the receiver? They should extend about 3/32" each.

Inspect the ejector extensions on both sides and see if you can find any disparity between the two.

Remove the forend piece and look carefully to see if both ejector extensions protrude the same amount from the receiver. Do this with the hammers cocked and with the hammers down and see if both extensions protrude the same.

Also make sure that the curved surfaces on the inside of the receiver where the ejector extensions cam are clean and not crudded up. I seriously doubt that is the problem, but just thought I'd mention it.

Maybe the ejector extension on the right side is slightly shorter than it needs to be.

If none of these things locate the problem, it may just need some "adjusting" of the ejector hammer/sear interface with a small file. But I would make sure it wasn't something else before doing any filing on the sear or the ejector hammer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Everything is clean. Ejector will eject....once it is cocked....so that leaves the trip rods out of the equation. I tried changing the ejector extension with the one from the unsingle barrel ( which will cock the hammer). No change.
I understand “fitting” the sear a little. What I don’t understand is 1) why will it set with the unsingle barrel, and 2) why will it set with the o/u barrel and weaker springs......but not with the factory spring.

I even checked clearance on the forearm with the o/u, thinking maybe something (ejector extension) was binding and not getting full travel.

I don’t get it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Medic911 wrote:
Everything is clean. Ejector will eject....once it is cocked....so that leaves the trip rods out of the equation. I tried changing the ejector extension with the one from the unsingle barrel ( which will cock the hammer). No change.
I understand “fitting” the sear a little. What I don’t understand is 1) why will it set with the unsingle barrel, and 2) why will it set with the o/u barrel and weaker springs......but not with the factory spring.

I even checked clearance on the forearm with the o/u, thinking maybe something (ejector extension) was binding and not getting full travel.

I don’t get it.

When you first bought the gun, did it work correctly with the factory springs before you had them changed to the weaker springs?

Did you try switching the factory springs from one side to the other? I'm still thinking that it may be getting coil binding from the factory spring. How about clipping a coil or two from the right (under barrel) spring?

Hey, another idea just popped into my head. You're saying the under barrel doesn't "eject" the empty cartridge? Maybe it really does eject the empty cartridge, but you're not opening the gun fully and the empty is hitting the breech face and bouncing back into the chamber so fast you don't realize it's happening.

Or, have you removed the forend after shooting and reloading and found one ejector hammer is cocked and the other isn't cocked? It can be hard to get the forend back on the gun if the ejectors hammers (or one hammer) isn't cocked. Just asking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:21 am 
Utility Grade

Gun had soft springs in when purchased used.
Hammer does not cock.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Medic911 wrote:
Gun had soft springs in when purchased used.
Hammer does not cock.

In this situation, we don't really know what may have been done to the gun prior to your purchasing it.

Let me clarify one point. Did you swap the ejector extension AND THE EJECTOR with the under barrel and try it, or did you swap only the ejector extension? You really need to swap both to learn if that may be the problem.

Also, please give me a direct answer to the question I asked above... " Have you removed the forend after shooting and reloading and found one ejector hammer is cocked and the other isn't cocked?"

And, did you have any difficulty or extra effort required in replacing the forend piece back on the gun?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Let me clarify one point. Did you swap the ejector extension AND THE EJECTOR with the under barrel and try it, or did you swap only the ejector extension? You really need to swap both to learn if that may be the problem

I Just swapped the extension...but I can try that.

And yes I did removed the forend......Not sure of any other way to see if the ejector hammer cocked.

Forearm re-assembly was normal.

And you are correct.....we don’t know what might have been done prior to my purchase.

I think I might try shortening the sprin a little. It makes sense that it might not be compressing enough to let the sear engage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Medic911 wrote:
Let me clarify one point. Did you swap the ejector extension AND THE EJECTOR with the under barrel and try it, or did you swap only the ejector extension? You really need to swap both to learn if that may be the problem

I Just swapped the extension...but I can try that.

And yes I did removed the forend......Not sure of any other way to see if the ejector hammer cocked.

Forearm re-assembly was normal.

And you are correct.....we don’t know what might have been done prior to my purchase.

I think I might try shortening the sprin a little. It makes sense that it might not be compressing enough to let the sear engage.

There is something strange about that "Forearm re-assembly was normal" statement. The reason I say that is because if the ejector hammer was not cocked when you had the forend off the gun, then when you place it back on the gun, you will cock it as you have to force the forend into place. I'm thinking that something may be wrong with the ejector and/or the ejector extension.

If you have both ejector hammers that are not cocked (which I did once in an experiment), then it's a real bear to get the forend back on the gun since you are cocking both ejector hammers in the process and that's some work! If you have only one that is not cocked, it's not as hard as having both uncocked, but it is still noticeably harder than just sitting the forend in place and just giving it a gentle nudge toward the barrels to close it. Something is just not adding up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:53 pm 
Utility Grade

There is something strange about that "Forearm re-assembly was normal" statement.

Nothing strange at all. When the forearm was attached one hammer was cocked.....one was not. It took more effort than if both were cocked.....but “normal “ for having one hammer cocked.

I tried shortening the factory spring....no change. Swap back to a lighter spring, hammer cocks every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Medic911 wrote:
There is something strange about that "Forearm re-assembly was normal" statement.

Nothing strange at all. When the forearm was attached one hammer was cocked.....one was not. It took more effort than if both were cocked.....but “normal “ for having one hammer cocked.

I tried shortening the factory spring....no change. Swap back to a lighter spring, hammer cocks every time.

OK, I interpreted "normal" to mean as if everything were working fine with the gun, i.e. both ejector hammers cocked.

How much did you shorten the spring?

Have you tried swapping both the ejector and the extension from your solo under barrel yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I shortened the spring by 2 coils. Have not tried switching the complete ejector yet. At a shoot for the week and don’t have access to all of my tools.