CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Magnum, "Special Purpose Mag"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm considering purchasing a Remington 870 Magnum, "Special Purpose Mag" (SN#: W710349M) 12G, 26", American Walnut oil finish stock/forend (non-gloss with recoil pad and swivel mounts) and I.C. choke. I can't seem to find any info about this shotgun.

The receiver has "Special Purpose Mag" stamped on it, not Express Magnum nor Super Magnum. This finish is a matte dark olive, as opposed to the matte black of an Express. This gun is in exceptional good condition and hardly used. The asking price is $289, partially because it only has 1 of the 3 original choke tubes (I.C.).

My questions are:
  • What year was this gun manufactured?
  • What's the pro/con's of the matte dark olive finish compared to typical matte black of an Express?
  • I was told the finish was a "military finish" and is supposed to be more durable/better than the Express's matte finish. Any idea if that's true??
  • Are there any significant mechanical differences between the "Special Purpose Mag" as compared to a typical Wingmaster or Express Magnum??
  • What might this gun be worth in excellent (very slightly) used condition?

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Magnum, "Special Purpose Mag"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:45 pm 
Utility Grade

FYI. Here's what the Remington Support Rep had to say:

"Thank you for your inquiry. According to the serial number you provided, your Model 870 was produced in 1988. Unfortunately, we no longer produce that model. Currently, we only have the Express version & the Super Magnum. The Special Purpose finish is a little more weather resistant than the Express finish. There are no mechanical differences between the Special Purpose, Express, & the Wingmaster."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:36 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

In that case, I would skip it and go for a Browning BPS or an Ithaca M37. Just my opinion,of course.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Why would you choose a Browning BPS over the 870 above?? (Just curious because they did have a BPS too.) The only thing that held me back was the "made in Japan".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:23 am 
Field Grade

remingtons are realy nice guns I would say go for it. I have always wanted one with the olive green finish they look so cool.
good luck
-Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:01 am 
Presentation Grade

My duck gun is an 11-87 Special Purpose Mag I bought in '88. It shoots 3" but not 3-1/2" (most of my hunting is over decoys, I feel 3" is enough). The finish is pretty tough, keep it well oiled especially when hunting in bad weather. The price seams a little high for a used 870, it better be in "like new" condition. You can buy replacement choke tubes through the mail from most sporting goods marketers. Here in Connecticut I use my IC choke during the early season when the ducks are a little easier to decoy and they don't have that thick under coat of down. I swap to the modified during the late season. My pheasant gun is an old 870 wingmaster 2-3/4" chamber with a fixed choke IC barrel. I've got every bird I've shot at with one shot for about the last 4 years, I do have to give some of the credit to my retiever.