CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Carrier problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:58 pm 
The carrier does not move up when the breechbolt goes into battery. So the shell doesn't feed, it stays below the bolt. I can press the release and manually lift the carrier but it will not do it on it's own. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Carrier problem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Since no one has answered your question yet, I'll take a stab at it. No guarantees from me. Just a good faith attempt to help you out.

I think it works something like this. When the gun fires a round, the bolt is pushed to the rear. When the bolt gets to the rear, it trips a thingamajig that causes the magazine feed latch to release a shell. The shell is pushed forcefully rearward by pressure from the magazine spring. The shell hits the carrier latch which releases the carrier to lift upward and the bolt to go forward. As the bolt goes forward, it pushes the new shell into the chamber.

Your job is to remove the trigger assembly and simulate the firing cycle and see what the problem is that the carrier is not lifting the shell up. BTW, don't let the hammer go forward unless you catch it with your thumb or finger. Either a spring is broken/missing that raises the carrier, or the lever that cams the carrier upward is broken/missing.

Sorry that I can't be more specific as to the exact part, but since I don't have your gun here, I can't see what the problem is. I would say that if you can't find the problem from my above instructions, then you should take it to a gunsmith anyway. Or, you could just order a new trigger assembly which has the carrier parts attached anyway. That might be cheaper than a visit to a gunsmith. :idea: Or, it might be that the magazine spring is too weak and not pushing the shell to the rear forcefully enough to trip the carrier latch. You might consider getting a new spring. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:07 am 
Ulysses, thanks for the reply. I did previously remove the trigger group and looked for something that would push up the carrier when the bolt moved back. I could not see anything that would do that. Nor did I see any parts that were obviously broken. Any idea what part woudl move the carrier up when the bolt slide back?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:23 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Could be a weak magazine spring. Did you leave the magazine loaded for a long time? The shell coming out of the mag tube has to have enough force to trip the carrier release.

When you take the trigger group out, the carrier release is the part that is attached to the trigger group right behind the carrier. It has a small square window that engages a tab on the carrier and hold the carrier down until a shell knocks the release out of the way.

Either the mag spring is weak or there is too much engagement between the window on the release and the tab on the carrier.

Hope this helps.
Lee
http://www.thearmsroom.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Latz55,

Just for you, I pulled the trigger assembly on my 1100 to find out the answer. :wink: Here is what I have determined. The carrier is raised by the rearward movement of the bolt which pushes down on the carrier dog. (See Parts Diagram for identification of parts.) The downward push on the carrier dog causes the carrier to pivot upward, lifting up the new shell from the magazine. BUT, in order for the carrier to pivot upward, the carrier release must be released by the rearward push from the shell coming out of the magazine. Unless the carrier dog is missing on your gun, or unless the carrier latch is screwed up in some way such that it won't release the carrier to move up, then about the only thing left that could be the problem is that the shell is not coming back with enough force to release the carrier. Do a thorough exam of your magazine, magazine follower, and magazine spring. Also, try some different shells (NOT reloads). I'm almost convinced that the problem is magazine related if it's not one of the couple of things I mentioned above.

Now I've got to put the trigger assembly back into my gun. You owe me a couple of beers for this one, buddy. :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:08 pm 
Thanks guys. I'll owe you more than a couple of beers if this does it. I'm putting in an order for a new spring and follower today. Thanks again, your advise is much appreciated.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Latz55, have you received the new spring and follower yet? I'd like to know if it cured the problem. Keep us posted, please.

Actually, the real reason I'm asking about it is because I'm still waiting for those free beers. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I hope you got your beers after all this time, but it would have been nice to find out what the outcome was since now I am having the exact same problem.

I just picked up this 1100 and have not yet fired it but just manually cycling it seems to be doing the same thing. This is my first semi auto shotgun , shouldnt I be able to just manually cycle through a full mag of shells without having to push the latch release after each pull of the bolt? Th latch will not release and go up unless I push the release button, it almost seems like a slight timing issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Talk about OLD threads! :shock: :shock: This baby is about 9 years old, but the problem is still a current and on-going problem with many 1100's.

I can now say with reasonable certainty that if your 1100 does not feed the shell that comes from the magazine tube and just leaves the bolt locked back and the shell lying on the carrier, then you need to clean and/or replace the magazine spring and clean/lube the inside of the magazine spring tube.

It would also be a good idea to remove the trigger assembly and dunk it into a container of solvent such as kerosene. Let it sit for an hour. Then remove, let drain dry, lubricate with light gun oil, and reinstall. This should fix the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick response, I worked the trigger mechanism over but no improvement, I have a new mag spring ordered and I decided to order a new trigger mechanism also just because the $100 spent would most certainly be less than taking it to a gunsmith. I truly have no idea the history of this 1100 othe than it belonged to a friends dad that is now deseased. I will report on the outcome when my parts arrive and it is figured out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When you operate an 1100 manually, the carrier is not supposed to release until you push the release button. Some will do it if they have a slightly bent carrier latch, but that is not the way it was designed to work. And you are just a hair from having a carrier latch that doesn't work properly when firing as well. I have had 9 1100s and/or 11-87s, and they all functioned correctly EXCEPT one I have now. it will cycle fully by hand without trying a speed jerk, and it still functions fine too. But I do have a spare carrier latch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was mistaken about the 1100 being able to cycle shells from the magazine through the chamber manually. I was going from memory and, unfortunately, my memory was incorrect. Sorry if that caused anyone any problems or unnecessary expense. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Excellent info, that is the one question I actually forgot to articulate, would it cycle manually without hitting the latch release after every pull of the bolt for the purpose of clearing the magazine of shells. I suppose I have a good working 1100 then, just got it today so it has not been shot yet. The gas o-ring was missing so i'm glad I dug into it and gave it a good inspection and cleaning.

This will be a shotgun I keep for life so I have no problem with the parts I purchased, a little refresh for future use will be good. And I made the purchases before anyone replied to my post any way, I appreciate the willingness to help, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Put a few rounds through the 1100 today and it works flawlessly! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not surprised and glad to hear it. Shoot it in good health.