CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta BL-4?? Need advice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I put a post up looking for a used O/U.
I got an e-mail by this guy with a Beretta BL-4.
He said he doesn't have any pictures but it looks like the 686...
It is fixed I/C both barrels.
He wants 650 and said its in perfect condition.
Anyone know how old this gun may actualy be?
Would it be good for Trap and Sporting Clays?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Beretta BL-4?? Need advice
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

According to the Blue Book, the BL-1 through BL-6 were all about the same except for differences in cosmetics - they were different grades of the same gun. The BL-4 is described as 12, 20, or 28 ga, 3-inch chambers (12 and 20 ga only) blued receiver/barrel finish, deluxe version of BL-3, more engraving, better wood, and ejectors. 6-7.25 lb.

No dates given, but the BL-3 is described as manufactured 1968-76.

Condition: 110% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
Value: $900 800 725 625 550 500 450

Add 20% for 20 ga, 50% for 28 ga.

I am not personally familiar with the BL- series guns, but I know there are people who think highly of them.

IC choke may not be enough for trap.

It would probably make a decent sporting clays gun, although I would rather have either tighter chokes or choke tubes. IC will be fine for most targets, but not for all.

Whether it is worth $650 depends on condition. Without a picture, I would be careful.............

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks alot for your help.
Would I be able to have someone install choke tubes in it so I could shoot trap with it??
If this gun broke I wonder how hard it would be to get parts for it....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

crazy_train04 wrote:
Would I be able to have someone install choke tubes in it so I could shoot trap with it??

Sure. Mike Orlen is a good gunsmith and the moderator of one of the forums on this site, and his price for installing tubes is pretty good. Check this out: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

There are a few guns which have very thin barrel walls, making it difficult to install tubes. I doubt that is the case here, but if you are seriously considering the gun, ask Mike about it.

crazy_train04 wrote:
If this gun broke I wonder how hard it would be to get parts for it....

Probably not difficult at all. Rich Cole stocks parts for obsolete Berettas. You might want to ask him (or just ask Mike) if parts for a BL-4 are a problem. http://www.colegun.com/ Cole could install the tubes too, and he is an excellent gunsmith known as "the Beretta guru" but I doubt he could match Mike Orlen's price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might find this interesting. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976471372.htm

This guy is asking at least twice what the gun is worth (maybe 3x). Even though he does not show a picture of the "slight handling marks", you can tell from what he does show that it is not in the 98% condition he claims.

Still, it is interesting - if only because it shows you how rediculous a sellers claims can be. Somebody might actually be dumb enough to buy that thing!

This one is a bit more reasonable. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976582278.htm

BTW, you didn't mention the barrel length. 26" barrels were popular when the BL- guns were made, but not now. You would be better off with at least 28".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Its supposed to be a 28" Barrel. Fixed I/C. Both Barrels...
Thanks for the link. Thats a crazy price without showing good pictures of its condition.
I think I will ask this guy if there is any way he can get a picture. I am not paying 800 without seeing something hahah...

Thanks for any other info you can give me.
You have been a big help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm somewhat of an expert on this model... if you get a chance to see it, take note of these specific items...

If it is a 12 gauge, note the pistol grip. Is it rounded, (Prince of Wales type) or is it a normal, squared off pistol grip. If it's squared off, does it have a cap on the bottom. If it does, what is on the cap? Is it solid black? Is it black with a white circle? Is it black with the Beretta logo on it?

If it is 20 gauge... note the same as above, only you won't have to worry about it being rounded. The 20's were never made with the Prince of Wales grip.

Take the gun apart. Look at the barrels, specifically, the undersided of them, where the barrels slip into the reciever. Find the Roman Numerals. I can give you a year of manufacture if you can get those for me.

28 inch barrels are usually Full and Mod chokes, although how you have described it is not entirely unheard of. That's not really important, but just kind of interesting. Now, what is important, is how the chokes are marked. The older models are marked in plus signs. ++++ is Full +++ is IM ++ is Mod + is IC and nothing is cylinder.

Look on the under side of the reciever. Is there and Angel? It will be very large, so you can't miss it. That helps date it as well. Look on the underside for a little knock (See picture.) that the tip of the forend slides into when you open the gun. Look inside of it. There will be either 3 stars, or 1 star. Again, that will help with dating it.

As shown right here...

..........................................^ That's it there...
...........................................l
Now the gun in the pic is not a BL-4 so there aren't any stars. But you get the picture.

Look at the safety. Does it look like a safety that would come on a new Beretta?

IE like this one...

Or does it look like the ridges are bigger and the barrel selector is more pronounced?

Anyway... Regardless of all those things I've just told you to look for, $800 is actually a pretty good price if it's in the kind of shape the guy says it's in.

Look here...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976471372.htm

Now that is a little high, but it's not that far off. I'd pay more than a grand for that gun. I bought a 20 gauge off a used rack about 2 years ago, and I thought I committed robbery at a price tag of $750. Then my buddy snatched one up at a gun show in 12 gauge, for $600. Now THAT was a steal. Regardless of how old they are, they are Beretta's and they are renouned for their quality, which is, needless to say, nearly flawless.

Hope that helped.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:53 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

Nick typed a mouthfull :lol:

Randy :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow thanks for the expanation. Thats alot of info.
I am having a hard time with this guy only because he wont send me a picture but would rather meet me with the gun.
He lives 5 hours away so I am not driving that far just to look at it. There are many guns in the sea...
One question I did have though.... A guy I work with told me that having choke tubes installed will be a problem..
He seems to think that since they are I/C that there wont be enough barell thickness to ream them??
Anyone have any info on this I would much appreciate it!

Thanks Again phideaux_2003 for all your help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

crazy_train04 wrote:
He seems to think that since they are I/C that there wont be enough barell thickness to ream them??

I doubt that. Ask Mike Orlen - he is the expert.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, I'd ask a gunsmith, but I do think that, A since they are already bored out to IC, it might be a problem of barrel thickness and B since it is a BL-4, the barrels are made rather thin anyway, because back then, the BL-4 was a pretty high grade gun. (Thin barrels are a quality usually reserved for fine guns.)

If you don't like Mike Orlen, or want another opinion, there is a guy named Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, Tx. Now, don't send your gun to him if you don't want it done right. This guy was trained in England by the BEST. The VERY best. My uncle trusted his Westley Richards, his Greener, and his H & H to him, and that's good enough for me. I've seen this guy's work, and it's truely amazing.

He has a web page...

My internet is running really slow right now... I was going to do a search for his page...

I think it is...

http://www.kirkmerrington.net

That might be it, but if it isn't, do a yahoo search for kirk merrington gunsmith. It should come up.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:33 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a bl-3 trap that i bought 6 years ago for $425...it had the original hang tags and the original box marked 'imported by garcia'...it has 30 in barrels bored f/f...i wanted the gun for skeet and sporting clays....my gunsmith told me that the walls were too thin for choke tubes..so i had them bored out to imp/imp...i hope i do not offend anyone with my modifications...i have ran about 10k shells through it with no problems at all....i looked up the codes and it was manufactured in 1968...you could not go wrong with the the quality of the bl line from beretta...i think that perhaps that they are overlooked as the sleeper buys out there...the line is not mentioned in the otherwise excellent book by r l wilson..the world of beretta....good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Briley can install choke tubes in very thin barrels. That'll cost a little more, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:55 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks alot guys!
I think I will stick with a gun that I know Choke tubes can be put into it.
Plus this guy doesn;t want to send me a picture so he must not want to sell it very bad.

Thanks again for all your help!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like he doesn't Crazy train.

Hey msskeetshooter... That's a good gun and with the hang tags still on it, you got a heck of a deal. I don't think anyone will be offended by your changing the chokes but the only thing I'd have to say about that, is if you ever try to sell it, the barrels are marked f/f, but since you had it changed to ic/ic you will have to specify with perspective buyers.

Just a thought..

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm 
Utility Grade

hello, I'm new to the forum, I have a beretta bl-4, I need to buy a new barrel for it, someone can tell me where I find one?

thank you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Brother, that's gonna be pretty tough. You probably will have to send it back to Beretta. Depending on what it will cost, it may not be worth rebarreling it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:02 pm 
Utility Grade

is true, it will not be easy, but who knows beretta appears a problem with this in action. the barrel of s55, S56, S57 also serve it

tks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 am 
Field Grade

I have a BL-4 (top one) that's 12 ga., M/F, 28", 2 3'4" that was made in '69. I picked it up for $500 but IMHO I think I really got a good deal. It's somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs. so great for a field gun but after 100 rounds or so at clays, (7/8 oz. or 1 oz. target loads) even with a limb saver on it, I feel the results. It shoots basically the same as the SP-1 (below) and I still use it frequently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you fellows would put your location in your profile you probably would get a lot more response to your inquiries. I live in Olympia Wa. and have a very nice Beretta BL4 I would sell face to face. It has mod and full 30 inch barrels. Nice and tight lockup. Very clean shotgun. Lyle