CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southern SXS shoot last weekend
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Last weekend there was the 6th annual Southern SxS shoot at Deep River Sporting Clays in Sanford NC ( http://www.withersravenel.com/deepriver ... fault.aspx). This was a big event with many vendors from all over the US. Many old SxS with high price tags. I was surprised to not find any guns like Dehaan. Perhaps it was the highbrow crowd there that just does not look at the Dehaan and sticks with old Mod 21 Winchesters, Parkers, LC Smith, Berretta, and other "traditional " SxS (many of high end English guns as well, Purdeys, H&H and the like). I do not think a saw a single gun for sale under $1500.00, with many in the $5000.00+ range. Several in the $40,000 range!

I'm I missing something?? Why would I pay $1700.00 for a heavy used old LC Smith or Parker that needs complete restoration? Little or no blueing left, stocks in poor condition and some broken. Yes these are classic guns but most of these guns were in rough shape for the prices being asked. Not junk (no pitted bores) but not near new. Yes it is hard to beat the quality of a fully respored old SxS but with some of the imported new guns like DeHaan out there, why would I want to drop $1500.00 on an old gun to have to spend another $2000-$3000 to have it brought back to life? Prices have at least gone up by 50% on these guns in the last year if not more. The Mod 21s I saw were all in good to great shape with "normal" pricing on them for a Mod 21 ($4000 and up).

I guess what I'nm asking from the SXS shooters and owners out there, is there really such a quality difference in these old SXS to warrent the high $$ for them. Since most folks are not out there burning up a clays course every weekend with a SXS , would a person not be better off with a new gun from a good Mfg? Something like a Dehaan? I do not own a Dehaan, but have seen and handled one and the guns look great for the price. Tight good wood to metal fit. Sure they are not up to the quality of a Mod 21 out of the custom shop but they are one tenth the cost or less.

I'm a firm believer in quality and paying a little more for a better product , but I'm hard pressed to see paying 2 , 3, 4, or 5 times for an old beat up SxS when I can get a new yet over seas made new gun.

Maybe next year we can get Dehaan down there to show off their stuff?

APEXDUCK

Post subject: Re: Southern SXS shoot last weekend
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:52 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

You are missing something. it's all about classics. Comparing a DeHaan, Huglu etc, with an L C s
Smith or other Americaan classic Double, is like comparing a Kia to a Jaguar. If you can't see this , you probably never will, So you would best buy yourself a Huglu and avoid these events.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Bushrod, I couldn't agree more. I would not compare a Dehaan, Huglu, Baikal, etc...to a fine classic dbl weather it be American, Spanish, Italian or otherwise. I admit that I am very impressed with the Dehaan dbls. However it is not a fair comparion when matched against the upper end dbls. I wouldn't trade my Ugartechea for any of the other brands listed even though I would save money. I attend the U.P. SxS classic in Michigan each year. I don't travel 10 hours to see Dehaan dbls. Again it's not a knock at all, it's just a different quality level entirely.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know for a fact that there are dealers in your area that sell SxS for far less than 1500. I bought a nice 85-90% L.C. Smith and a 90+% Ithaca NID from Colonial Gun Shop in Hillsborough. The L.C. Smith was $950 and the NID was 1150.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the input folks. I know prices on used guns are always a starting point. With older classic shotguns the prices are all over the road and the Southern SxS draws higher prices then are deserved in some cases. It is a great event and the folks down at Deep River do it right every year. There is something special about the old classic double guns. I'm personally partial to the Winchester Mod 21 , although one is not in my budget. I like Porsche and Ferrarri too, but once again not in my budget. I just have to be happy with my Fabarms SxS and lust from afar until I can afford a classic SxS.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm not sure but didn't Colonial Gun Shop close down?

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Colonial went out of business about 2 years ago. All the remaining guns, equipment, etc. were auctioned by the receiver. There were no SXS's left.
The SXS's exhibited at Deep River were bascially high end collectibles - not what the everyday shooter would buy. And to correct the previous post, there were not "several guns over
$ 40,000" there were many guns over $ 40,000.