CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Federal Heavyweight Turkey Loads
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anyone patterned the Federal Heavyweight turkey loads. I have a Browning Gold backbored 3 1/2". I was wondering what dia of choke to start with. The loads come in #5 or#6 Federal advertizes that they are 35% heavier than lead

Post subject: Re: Federal Heavyweight Turkey Loads
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:01 pm 
Field Grade

I am not into paying $30.00 a box. However, I did pattern the lead version of the 3.5" shells with 2.25oz payload in my bakal MP 153.

This shell patterned better then the Rem Heavi shot hands down.

With the Fed flight control I was consistantly getting 25 to 35 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards. Heavi shot I was lucky to be getting 20. I have a .665 turkey choke on my gun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the information :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:12 pm 
Utility Grade

There are some very good articles in recent magizines lately on the subject. I hear and read that they all pattern tighter than standard lead loads. What I've been wondering is; If they are 35% heavier and remingtons and winchesters are 10% heavier, does this mean that 2oz of the heavy stuff equals less shot per load? This is one thing that I have yet to find an answer on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:51 am 
Field Grade

This along the same lines but in a different direction, I hope you don't mind.

I friend of mine told me that Federal makes an indentical shell to the turkey loads but labels them as pheasant loads. And an identical alternative to the heavy weight shells would be duck or goose loads.

Does anybody know if this is true? Assuming the size and payloads are equal , of course. If this is true then turkey loads are just a marketing scheme by shell manufacturers because the other shells are considerably cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:05 am 
Field Grade

That is exactly what remington does. After turkey season, I buy up the clearance 4-6 shot Heavi shot "turkey" loads for use in waterfowl hunting. If you call remington, they will even tell you the shells are identical. Just the box label changes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:26 pm 
Field Grade

spatrat wrote:
This shell patterned better then the Rem Heavi shot hands down.

With the Fed flight control I was consistantly getting 25 to 35 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards. Heavi shot I was lucky to be getting 20. I have a .665 turkey choke on my gun.

That's probably because you were OVER choked for the hevishot. Standard factory full choke out of my Nova patterns about 95% at 40 yards with Hevishot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:37 pm 
Field Grade

Bearin,

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I will have to try the heavy shot with the factory xf choke and see how that does, with the heavi shot I have left. I think from this point on I will be using the duck, goose or pheasant loads. I can't see spending 2-3 bucks a shell when the bird will be just as dead spending less than a buck a shell.

Spatrat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Would I be correct in thinking that these are not for use in my 1970's vintage 2 3/4" Auto 5? I read that they are not for guns not approved for steel shot, and I don't think the Browning, that far back, would be; but this Forum knows everything, so tell me. Given that I might shoot five such shells through it in a good year, I am being sorely tempted. The gun also has a Polychoke, if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Beach004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:44 pm 
Field Grade

Hubb wrote:
What I've been wondering is; If they are 35% heavier and remingtons and winchesters are 10% heavier, does this mean that 2oz of the heavy stuff equals less shot per load? This is one thing that I have yet to find an answer on.

I read that yes, since the shot is heavier, you have less of it. That's why a lot of guys are using heavyshot #6, because it actually equals out to about a #5 of lead.