CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Little Skeeter's
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:40 am 
Field Grade

Picked up my new one Saturday afternoon. It’s a Browning Citori Lighting Gold Sporting edition, 30” ported barrels with Midas tubes and adjustable stock. Has anybody tried the Browning Little Skeeter’s? I am thinking of giving these a try but would like to hear from this group any plusses or minus’s.

Post subject: Re: Browning Little Skeeter's
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a set - Hey I wanted to try 16 ga tubes in my 12 ga - skeeters were the only ones I could find.

They are ok for casual shooting / plinking. Dirty and PIA.

You have to be careful not to let them eject as they will as if a fired shell.

Economical, novel, but not real practical.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

These have been discussed countless times in various forums. The concensus seems to be don't waste your money. I've got full-length tubes and the short ChamberMates in 20 ga. IMO the ChamberMates are the minimum acceptable solution to shooting the sub-gauges in a bigger gun.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wish I hadn't bought them. They aren't even good enough for casual use.

Don't waste your money - wish I hadn't wasted mine.

Regards.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:03 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I've got a couple pair of 10ga/12ga that I use to shoot a few practice rounds of skeet with 12ga ammo in my 10ga O/U when goose season gets close. They work well enough for that, but they are a little awkward removing the empties and reloading them. I don't think anyone would want to mess with them as a regular thing for skeet. Also, if you use anything but low pressure target loads, you will stick the cases in them and have a heck of a time getting them out.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:33 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Your money would be better utilized by changing it into quarters and tossing it to the neighbor kids riding down the street on thier bycicles. At least that way SOMEONE will get some good out of the money! They are a joke, pure and simple! It took me twice to finaly figure that out! I'm a slow learner! :cry: I can't believe Browning actually puts thier name on those things! :? :shock:

BP

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got a pair of "Gauge Mates" that are basically the same thing except a different brand name. I'll echo what others have said "Don't waste your money." They are slow because you have to poke the spent shells out by hand. If they get stuck, you'll need to use a bolt or rod to poke them out. Your hands get all black from handling them...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So what seems to be the concensus? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:48 am 
Field Grade

From what I see it is pretty plain not to buy them, but to go with real tubes.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Pieces of junk. Get some full length tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:31 am 
Field Grade

I have shoot these many of times. I have a BT-99 Max and I shot the 28 gauge skeeter out of it at 16 yard trap and I can hit the targets just as good as if I were shooting 12 gauge. Its all a mental games if you have you follow through every time you pull the triger no matter what gauge you shoot that clay will break

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:09 am 

As has been said, don’t waste your money. :wink:

American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:32 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Dustin;

If you take the time to chronograph and pattern those shots with Little Skeeters you will see just how poor they really are. It is more a validation of your luck rather than thier good performance. Junk, pure and simple. Been there, done that, sold them. That is a validation of MY luck!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:26 pm 
Field Grade

Burnt Powder,

I have patterned them in my shotgun and they throw a pattern just as good as the 12 gauge or better because I can get about 439 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 30 yards with a 3/4 ounce of shot. These are great results. 100% of the pellets are going into that circle. And with the oversized barrel from the 12 gauge the 28 gauge don't give any strays which means a more uniform pattern. And as I said when I shoot them at 16 yard trap they break targets hard and I am not saying breaking the clay in 3 pieces I mean hitting it that you get millions of pieces the size of a pencil tip eraser. No matter what anybody says they are great for the price and will last you for some time. Now tell me that is not a good pattern????

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:13 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Dustin;

I have indeed chronographed and patterned them in two of my 20 ga clays guns and I can tell you for sure, MY results are FAR, FAR different than what yours is. I had varriations of velocities exceeding 250 fps with identical loads. If you think this is bad, you ought to get the .410 Little Skeeters and work with them a little. I'm not saying your results aren't valid, but I KNOW what mine were! I wouldn't take a boat load of them as a gift if I had to keep them and use them. Heck I wouldn't take them any way, I doubt they are worth the gas to sell them to the local salvage yard for junk! So glad your experience is different! At least somebody likes them, might as well be you! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

99maxshooter What size shot are you using to get 429 pellets in a 3/4 oz load?
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:07 am 
Field Grade

Burn't powder,

Do you think this could be from the bigger barrel and not getting sealed by the wad? Just curious of why you didn't get good results.

And got2bqik I am using Winchester AA sport loads with 9 shot. There is actually about 30 more pellets that I didn't account for because a 3/4 ounce load only has 429 pellets and that is what I counted in the circle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:12 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Well, when I recovered my fired wads from arround the patterning board and in the grass in front of it, it became abundantly clear to me why I was getting piss-poor results. The overpowder cup lips were turning inside out and burning the edge off on those that were'nt. That was with most any kind of wad I shoot. The other more serious problem I had with the 20 to 28 'Skeeters was within about 2 or 3 shots they expanded or bulged enough to make extraction somewhere between danged difficult to neart impossible! I've had and tested 20 to 28 and 20 to .410s. Neither of them were any good as far as I was conserned with the .410s being ballisticly the poorest but the mechanical difficulties being the worst with the 20 to 28. I finaly tossed my wads a few weeks ago while cleaning up or I could have sent you some for your examination. Shooting these short chamber reducers give a whole new meaning to overbored or backbored barrels. The smaller the gauge the more difficult it becomes to get the wad to seal in an oversized barrel. It has to do with proportions I believe. So, there you have it, all I know for sure about them in both my Franchi Veloce and Beretta 686E 20 ga guns.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:09 am 
Utility Grade

I just tried 12 to 28 gauge chambermates, in my beretta 682 today with a couple rounds of skeet. I was suprised how great they worked. No complaints. I also patterned them, mostly checking for point of aim, and the patterns were excellent. If you don't want to go with full length tubes because of cost or weight I think they are very worthwhile. Just my opinion. Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use 410 little skeeters occasionally in my 20ga SxS. They work okay for me for informal hand trap stuff and are great for first time shooters with the light recoil 2-1/2" shells.

I have never patterned them or shot at game with them but the do break clays at close range. They are definately NOT a replacement for real sub gauge inserts. Very dirty and slow to use.