CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Who uses a shotgun for Coyotes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I hunt coyotes with a call. I primarily use a centerfire rifle but have used #4 Buck on occasion with good results and )) buck a few times also with good results.

I shot a coyote once while dove hunting at about 20 yards with my 12 gauge 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 shot. He died very quickly.

I use my 870 express 12 gauge that I spray painted camo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am 
Limited Edition

I have used #4buck with an x-full choke to 40-50 yards with a decent pattern. There is a dead-coyote load but I can't see spending 3 times the amount for a shell on coyote. We can't use buck shot for deer up here anyhow, and I have trouble - perhaps impatience patterning/working with buckshot other then #4 for the task. I get into many areas where there is no shot past 50 yards as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

It seems every time I take a rifle out calling I wish I had a shotgun. Every time I take a shotgun the setup seems to need a rifle.

Sometimes I actually take a shotgun AND a rifle. In that case I use a little 870 Express, Jr. in 20 ga. If carrying just a shotgun I use a 12 ga. with a red dot sight mounted on the vent rib - almost like a scout scope. That setup is absolutely catsass for shooting slugs and buckshot. It works awesome for night hunting, too.

If hunting at night I use a shotgun exclusively. My lights won't shine farther out than shotgun range anyhow.

During the day I like #4 buckshot and at night I use size B Hevi-shot. I feel I'm more likely to call a fox at night and the B shot would work better on them while still being effective on coyotes. But I've yet to call in a fox.

The more I hunt coyotes the more it seems I find that a shotgun is often more useful than a rifle in my area. There's alot of cover in the areas where I hunt and I usually find the coyotes in the midst of it, or they use it to get close enough that they're into shotgun range by the time I'm able to see them.

Post subject: Re: re: Who uses a shotgun for Coyotes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Kart29 wrote:
It seems every time I take a rifle out calling I wish I had a shotgun. Every time I take a shotgun the setup seems to need a rifle.

Sometimes I actually take a shotgun AND a rifle. In that case I use a little 870 Express, Jr. in 20 ga. If carrying just a shotgun I use a 12 ga. with a red dot sight mounted on the vent rib - almost like a scout scope. That setup is absolutely catsass for shooting slugs and buckshot. It works awesome for night hunting, too.

If hunting at night I use a shotgun exclusively. My lights won't shine farther out than shotgun range anyhow.

During the day I like #4 buckshot and at night I use size B Hevi-shot. I feel I'm more likely to call a fox at night and the B shot would work better on them while still being effective on coyotes. But I've yet to call in a fox.

The more I hunt coyotes the more it seems I find that a shotgun is often more useful than a rifle in my area. There's alot of cover in the areas where I hunt and I usually find the coyotes in the midst of it, or they use it to get close enough that they're into shotgun range by the time I'm able to see them.

you might consider a combo gun like the savage 24 f .alot of coyote guys like them with 12 guage over .223. there are a few others makes . They are single shot but great hunting and survival versatility . i definently want a 12 guage/17hmr and a 20/22 lr.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hunted coyotes a lot when I lived in the SW. I used a rifle because of the terrain and how hard they been hunted. There were a few times they came in close enough for a scattergun but usually, the shots were at some distance. You'll need to determine if you can draw them in close enough, but if you can a shotgun would serve you well.

I carried a shotgun a few times along with my rifle but never got a chance to use it. But if I was used a shotgun exclusively, I would suggest an autoloader. Coyote hunting can be some very fast action.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Have a case of old case of 12 gauge paper Lubaloy Super-X 3" #4 Buck that proves to be a death potion to coyotes and feral dogs. I use my Model 12 Heavy Duck and the full choke barrel gives exettent patterns with this load.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:38 am 
Crown Grade

No. 4 buck sounds like the ticket for coyotes. I loaded up some extra hard lead buck (I may have mentioned that before) using Tom Roster's duplex load in his manual for 2 oz. in 10 ga. Velocity is 1289 fps if memory serves & patterns at 60 yds. indicate death to a yodel dog at 60+ yds. This load may have 70 or more yd. potential as a coyote load.
I would strongly advise againt any buckshot for hogs. I hunted hogs a lot in the past & have seen more than a few shot with buckshot, usually "00". Buckshot is very effective on whitetail deer, with the right gun & load, provided you don't shoot at game out of range. Hogs are a different story! None of the hogs I saw shot with buckshot were clean kills & rarely did one go down with one shot. I have seen small hogs shot at point blank range in the head that didn't go down. Also, I have heard many stories of deer hunters emptying their auto's shooting hogs that kept on trucking.
Look at the Dixie Slugs posts on their Tri Ball load. That should do the job on hogs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 am 
Limited Edition

#4 Buck should be deadly on coyotes out to 70 yards if you can get it to pattern with your gun. A 2 oz. load in the 10 gauge is 43 pellets of .25 caliber, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

i like it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

cooooooooooooooool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

I carry either a Rem 870 or 1100 with 3" #2s. They are quite the load at ranges that are sometimes literally point blank.

In school? In your home? In your town?
Would you just turn around?

Volunteer Fire/EMS - Join NOW!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:52 pm 
Field Grade

So I read the whole thread and I have a question burning through me!

What in the heck do you do with a coyote thats been expired at the end of a shotgun!?

If I take a coyote to the fur trader with more than 1 hole in it, the price drops. I cant imagine 11 or 12 or more holes! The trader would laugh in your face while he wrote out your $5 check!

Maybe things are different elswhere!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:56 pm 
Utility Grade

:D Hello, I have only shot a couple coyotes with shotguns. Used Dead Coyote Heavi shot for one, and old Rem Black case 4's on the other. I am going to start carring my 870 #" 12 with either BB's or 2's along with my rifles. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Who uses a shotgun for Coyotes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:12 am 
Field Grade

clayshooter25/25 wrote:
I may be wrong but I'm questioning the safety of this last post.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Coul;dn't possibly be any more dangerous than the cars people were driving in 1955....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We are in the Gila reigon of New Mexico. We gennerally carry a shotgun and a rifle. if in thick cover we use the scatter gun in the flats a rifle. The sports caller and trapper want Mr. coyote for his hide. We want him gone and it matters little to us if we just move him off or get him dead. I carry a turkish double 12 with 2s in the open tube and #4 buck in the tight. A mod77 in .223 with good glass and a little .22 side gun.
We have two good sayings here.

"Mexican wolves, smoke a pack a day"

If it aint' wearing a collar, its a coyote"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

A coyote is a tough little animal. Focus on the little animal part. As with so many other areas of shooting, overkill is the prevailing thought. #2 lead or hevi shot with a constiction choke out to 60 yards is reasonable. Pattern test and find out for yourself. The larger shot is going to provide too open a pattern and misses or wounding may take place more often.

Best Regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

"So I read the whole thread and I have a question burning through me!

What in the heck do you do with a coyote thats been expired at the end of a shotgun!?

If I take a coyote to the fur trader with more than 1 hole in it, the price drops. I cant imagine 11 or 12 or more holes! The trader would laugh in your face while he wrote out your $5 check!

Maybe things are different elswhere!"

We are predjudiced against coyotes because they have a different philosophical and cultural beliefs than we do--(they eat our deer and nothing else keeps them in check)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thats Right!
if I wanted to get paid on coyotes, I'd trap em.
Think of a coyote at 55 bucks Think of a calf at a potential 1000
Not to mention the ungulate population.
Now we have to deal with the "Mega coyote" the Mexican Grey wolf. We can't even look at him cross wise,,, legally.
The new prase around here is,
If it ain't got a collar, its a coyote.
Also we can be dealing with heavy bush, Shotgun work

"Save a hundred elk. Kill a wolf."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

in my shotgunning for yotes experiances, yep use the turkey gun, but not the loads.A #4 buck w/27 to 60+ pellets is ideal. Any thing smaller in diameter has the range, but lacks in kenetic energy, to provied faital penitration. Ive used oo and ooo buck, as well as, hevi shot dead coyote, with the hevi shot being my fave, in ''T'' or ''F'' size. using a carlson, choke (.667 or .665 constriction)or a remington factory extra full turkey choke, these combos have proven devistating energy and patterns as far as 75 yards. Gobble stopper and jelly head chokes are a good choice as well. i found that the closest restriction to a .665/.667 you can get is ideal. at least 26inches of barrel is required to burn these some what hot loads completly, to minimize fouling and max on accuracy,and they are effective with red dot or holligrafic optics. these ranges,energy, and phenominal patterns are a must for me,because we not only call, but we also have beagals, fox hounds, walkers, and walker foxhound mixes we use to run the yodle dogs, step out from behind the calls boys, you have got to try runnin them with dogs, great fun. Also check out the savage modle 24f predator. over under .22hornet up to 30-06 over 12 or 20. great combo gun for a one man set up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Got one this morning with my M12 HD and 1 1/2 oz of #4 Buck. Shot him at 40 paces and he went right down. Stayed on my friend's farm last night to take care of this rascal. He had killed several cats and some Guinea hens. He was a big male in full winter coat. My friend is a taxidermists and he will mount the head as a fur rug mount and it will be in front of his fireplace.