All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg shotguns
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bobby0000
Unregistered User
(8/11/02 9:47:07 pm)
Mossburg shotguns

Does any one have an idea about how good a mossburg really is? What kind of gun should i get if mossburg is not a really good gun. Price range $200-$350 mabe a little more if its a good gun.
-------------------------------------------------------------
bustabuck
Frequent Visitor
(8/12/02 7:38:18 am)
Re: Mossburg shotguns

For the money, it's hard to beat a Remington 870. None of the Mossberg's I've looked at even come close to the quality of material and workmanship of the 870. Go to your nearest gun dealer, ask to see a Mossberg and an 870. Compare for yourself. Look at the workmanship, the feel of the action...heck, throw 'em up to your shoulder and see which one feels better.
Like I said, in my opinion, it's hard to beat a Remington 870.
I shot one for years and have never had a minutes trouble out of it.
Let us know which one you decide to get!
Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(8/12/02 8:23:20 am)
Nova

Just pass on the Mossbergs.....the Remington 870 is a good choice as is the Benelli Nova and they are both in the price range that you listed.

IF you have shot pumps before, the Nova has a longer stroke, so you will experience stove pipes untill you get used to shucking the full length.

Some folks think it looks too space age-like, but the military and police are going to them for the reliabilty factors.

Rick
Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(8/15/02 11:32:58 pm)

Re: Nova

As a current Mossberg 500 user (I'll ban anyone who laughs) I would recommend the Remington 870. Wish I had been less impulsive. The Mossberg isn't a bad gun. I've shot skeet, trap and lots of doves with it, but I think the life expectancy would be less than the 870.
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
Shotgunworld.com
Rick618
Shotgun Expert
(8/18/02 12:09:38 am)
Ummm, Jay???

Does ROF(holding my sides)notL(but chortling and guffawing)MA count????

Snicker snicker, sniff, wheeze....got to remember to breath!!!

Tell me its ok to laugh, just as long as we dont point and laugh??

Rick(soon to be banned)618
Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(8/21/02 9:43:41 pm)

Re: Ummm, Jay???

Did I mention that it's a "Crown Grade" Mossberg 500? I didn't get the cheap $220 Mossberg. I got the more expensive $235 Mossberg. Now who's laughing ?
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
Shotgunworld.com
cD Tanthalas
Frequent SW Visitor
(8/21/02 10:51:20 pm)

so what yer saying is that ya got the frilly doodling on the side of the reciever and the "less slippery than the field grade forend" hehehe
cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(8/22/02 2:28:01 pm)

felt sorry for ya Jay with all the abuse hehehe

Edited by: cD Tanthalas at: 8/22/02 1:28:54 pm
bustabuck
Shotgun Expert
(8/23/02 10:44:21 am)

Did he say "Crown" or "Clown" grade?
Just kidding, Jay. I used to have a Mossberg, too.

But when my rich uncle got outta the poor house, I got a Remington!
Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(8/23/02 10:56:34 pm)
It ain't always the gun

Don't forget the guy on the end of the gun has alot to with it, too. One of my favorite stories is about a friend of mine who happens to be one of the best Trap shooters in the state. He normally shoots with a Beretta 686 Trap, but occasionally he'll enter one of the local competitions where he's not as well known. Instead of the Beretta he'll take his Remington 870. Of course all of the doctor or lawyer types, with their Perazzi's, will invite him to compete in their side bets. 98 out of 100 clays later he's taking home their money. Too funny and a good example.
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
cD Tanthalas
Shotgun Expert
(8/23/02 11:07:55 pm)

Re: It ain't always the gun

hehe i know a fella who takes his prizes home with a old beaten wally-mart double 12 gauge hehe

BC hunter
Unregistered User
(9/10/02 1:35:49 am)
Mossberg shotguns

I can say that the Mossberg 835 I have has been a good rough and tumble gun for the field. The synthetic stock, and black "parkerized" finish, don t make it look to good to the eye, but it does the job. The gun comes with a 10 year warranty, sling, and gun lock, for a very easy price. It works good on the trap range, and has the3.5" capacity for those big Canada goose loads you may need. For the money I would say they are a decent gun.

Why are you critical of your 500, Jay? Have you had problems with it?
gunndealer285182000
Frequent SW Visitor
(9/10/02 11:52:49 pm)
Re: Mossberg shotguns

If you have problems withthe slide arms, especially from wear, i suggest you get a small tube of gunslick and apply to each arm and you will see it move so much better and no wear the blueing as bad as one does without it. You can also apply inside the receiver(just a little goes a long way)in the tracks where the bolt slides and you will see a marked increase in the smoothnest of the gun. The 500 is a widely popular gun in our area and I sell a lot of the Bantams for the younger hunters and really have found that the young hunter likes the way it shoulders better than the youth 870.
.................Take a kid hunting or fishing...........................
pezman1963
(9/14/02 9:10:21 am)

Hey
I for one love the Mossberg 500.
I have 500AB, 500B, and 500c
(12ga 16ga and 20ga)
I have never seen a more versitile shotgun.
There is even a muzzle loading rifle kit for it.
All the new 12 gauge barrel are ported.
If you desire different barrels they do not cost a fortune.
The even make barrels for you Rem 870 users and they do not cost $200.

The company is great I recieved my 12 gauge new as a gift for XMass 1982. It has given fine service since then on the trap field.

The one time something went wrong with it, the plastic tab for the safety broke this was in 1999. I took a ride down to thier North Haven, factory.

They asked if I had a few minutes. I said yes.
After about 10 minutes They came back and asked if I had 10 more minutes, explaining it was older than they thought. I said yes.

Exactly 10 minutes later the came out said they sorry it took so long. They had replaced the safety, bolt group, and trigger group. They explained that it was an upgrade from when this gun was new.

The charge me not a dime for the repair.
The gun was 17 years old and far out warrenty!!
I can't say I was ever treated that well before.

My model 500ab has had about 19,000 rounds fired through it!!

I can easily afford a $5000 gun and have spent that much on rifles. I'll keep the Mossberg, it works.

As for the 870 being smoother it is I would desribe the Mossberg as crisp. It really is personal preferance.

Another advantage is the Mossberg uses the Win-Choke system
making choke tubes inexpensive and easy to find.

Personally I see little advantage in more expensive 870.

------------------------------------------------------------

BPBurke
(10/20/02 9:21:15 am)

Hey! Don't be knocking Mossbergs. Sure they're a little rough but, that's what most of us love about em. My camo 835 has been places, endured treatment and, still functioned without a hitch.
I keep it under the bed for protection as it is short enough, quick handling and reliable enough to trust better than my auto pistols. Besides it can make a whole wall disappear along with the bad guys.
While my 101, SKBs and Benelli stay in their cases dry and warm - my 835 and I are fighting sleet, snow, rain and muck and let me tell you - it keeps performing a hell of a lot better than I do. I've used it as a crutch through swamps (butt down), a table between tree crotches for cleaning game (again the butt end). I clean out the goop and it doesn't do anything bad to me except kick the holy crap out of me when I pull the trigger on those magnificent 3 1/2" loads.
camfamcom
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(10/25/02 10:08:48 am)
Mossberg 835

Best Turkey gun I own! Great gun at a great price.

RemintonII
Unregistered User
(10/27/02 4:13:55 pm)
Measuring the kick of the Mossber 835

Measured in pounds per foot, a light 12 guage shell could kick as lightly as 15. A big load at 20.

This pales in comparison to a 3.5 inch shell in a Mossberg that kicks at about 65.

In other words, the Mossberg 3.5 inch gun kicks about 3 times harder than a hard kicking 2 3/4 12 guage.

However, with a stock recoil reduction unit like the Knox unit, a person can reduce the recoil down to 26.

These units only cost $100, and seem worth it for such significant recoil reduction.
Delmer
Unregistered User
(12/1/02 11:54:54 am)
moosberg recoil

What is a knox recoil reduction unit?
defender
Frequent SW Visitor
(12/3/02 3:45:42 am)
moosberg recoil

www.knoxx.com/product/product_view.html
Heimdol
(12/14/02 1:23:20 pm)

I guess if you measure a shotgun based how well it works when needed then the Mossberg has more then been a quality shotgun for me. After taking 6 white tail, 3 turkeys and countless other birds I'd say I've spent my $235.00 well. If your buying a shotgun you want to keep for decades to pass on down to your kids or something then the Remington is probably the better choice but if all you need is something that will get the job done in the field then there is no shame in owning a Mossberg shotgun. It does what it needs to when it needs to. I'd say that's money well spent and not much money at that.
Mopett

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(12/16/02 7:16:25 pm

ezSupporter

Hello Heimdol,
Welcome to the Shotgunworld.com Forum!
As a fellow Mossberg owner I appreciated your post.
regards,
Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
Shotgunworld.com
deaddeer2003
Unregistered User
(1/13/03 11:15:39 pm)
quit whining

for all you smart guys who keep whining about mossburg I shoot both a 835
Marshal
(1/20/03 7:38:20 pm)
Old Mossberg owner

I have an older 500 witha select choke it works just fine,I guess us old guys don't know that one needs a $1000. gun. But then I also own a bolt 410 that fed us through a very bad winter in 1977....Marshal
cobain 187
Unregistered User
(1/22/03 8:19:53 pm)
mossberg vs remington

I say this as a non hunter / avid self-defense fan. Though mag capacity isnt great on the 500...i will always choose it over a remington any day. The on top safety is instictive, press it forward and your ready to go. But the biggest problem i have with the remington, is the location of the damn slide release. With just a slight of your thumb on your shooting hand (right handed of course) you can rack the action on your mossberg, as apposed to trying to reach up and forward on the remington. The remington may or may not be better for hunting or what not, but the mossberg is much more comfortable for self defense. My riot gun with an 18 1/2 inch barrel and pistol grip will always have a special place in my heart.

cobain 187 - USMC
Katz
Unregistered User
(1/26/03 10:28:07 am)
M88 and M500

Hello, My name is Katz. This mail is from Japan.
I am a trap shooter and owns some shotguns.

I have a question, so could you give me an answer?
The question is what is the difference between M88 and M500. Have anyone compared with these two?
I do know their shape and make(Mossberg, Maverick), but I have no idea about their ability and quality.

I am looking forward to hearing good answers.
With thanks.

Katz
katz1204@hotmail.com
john305
Gun Opinion Moderator
(1/26/03 4:11:07 pm)
Re: M88 and M500

Well first Maverick is owned by Mossberg and the model 88 is a cheapedned down model 500. If you want the cheapest new gun that will still work good the model 88 is great. If you want a little bit of a nicer gun then the Model 500 is the one to get. It all kinda depends on what you want. Now for high dollar looks then you have to go with the *Crown Grade* Mossberg 500.
Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(2/19/03 1:08:59 am)

Re: M88 and M500

Just keep in mind that the Crown Grade Mossberg 500's are about $20 more than the standard model 500. I guess you have to pay more for the finer things in life

Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com
Lex Talio
Frequent SW Visitor
(3/12/03 8:40:34 am)

Well, Friends, I have to throw my vote for the 870's.....Mossbergs is today's utility shotgun, but I had to learn to respect the 870's the hard way. While with Winchester-Western I shot the Florida Trap Chain for WW (among of shoots). I carried Mod. 12 parts in two large tackle boxs and spent many hours installing broken firing pins, etc. I grant, there are more shells run through a trap gun in one season than most field gun in years, but in all that time I never saw one 870 quit on the trap fields. I'm retired now and shoot 870's....Best Regards, James
GunOwner
Unregistered User
(3/23/03 11:43:48 pm)
What is "Crown Grade" Mossberg 500

Can someone please explain to be what "Crown Grade" Mossberg 500 is please? Are these the models with the gold trigger?

Thanks.

Mossberg12
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/24/03 2:10:10 pm)
Dang Right!

You are right Heimdol, i have had a few problems with my mossy 500, but nothing big, and Mossbergs service is great also. That money was well spent, im not going to spend 500 dollars just for a gun that looks good. I have only hunt rabbit with it so far and I plan on bringing a good whitetail home this year. A turkey next year. Well said Heimdol.
john305
Gun Opinion Moderator
(3/24/03 2:27:19 pm)
Re: Dang Right!

Hey Gunowner the crown grade is a step up from the regular mossy 500. It has a nice glossy American walnut stock, and I think the blueing is a gloss instead of the flat or matt that you normally see. The price is only like $30-$50 more for this option If you can find it. It is comparable to the Rem 870 wingmaster in looks. Better finish, but I am not sure if it has a gold trigger.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Mossberg12
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/27/03 5:03:40 pm)

You tell them Pezman, Mossbergs are great shotguns, i have a whole bunch of friends that have them and had them for a long time, get the Mossberg. You don't need to spend extra money on the 870.
JackRyann
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/29/03 1:21:27 am)

Bought my first ever Mossberg a week ago.

It'll be my last.
SERENITY NOW! OR ELSE!
chad e
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/4/03 5:53:54 pm)
Mossberg shotguns

Ive put about 1500 rounds through my Mossy 500. Still works everytime I pull the trigger. Sure its starting to show some wear on the magazine tube and action bars, but that just gives it "character"
Made two modifications to it

1. added a nice soft Pachmeyer recoil pad, fits my shoulder better, and much softer than the original.
2. filled the empty cavity in the stock with lead shot, for weight. Makes the gun balance better, and reduces recoil
(if you didnt know, a heavier gun recoils less)

Id have to say, Mossberg gives you more bang for the buck..pun intended.
------------------------------------------------------------

Scott231
Frequent SW Visitor
(4/4/03 11:57:01 pm)

Man you Mossberg fans remind me Strohs beer drinkers!!! theres better stuff out there. Like Molson/labatts/Winchester/ Rem./Bud./Corona/Browning/Bennellei.even Miller!!
But you know what you like and stick to your guns know matter what any body says.
I admire that!!!!

Scott

Edited by: Scott231 at: 4/4/03 11:06:20 pm
deerslayer
Unregistered User
(4/5/03 10:33:59 pm)
the wounderfully great mossburg 500

As I said in another post I put up,the 500 is the best gun for the money,period.I currently own 3,two 12ga.'s and a 20.One of The 12 my father gave me,is damn near 40 years old,and the only problem I or he has had with it is that the action arm broke off where it plugs into the bolt,and that happend in december while duck hunting this past year(that is why the new guns have 2 bars).this gun was his only gun for many years,and has killed every thing from pheasent to black bear.I can rememder going pheasent hunting with him and his friends when I was young,and after he would show them up all day long,it wasn't nothing to see guys offering to let him carry there purdy's,parkers,870's and even the famed belguim browning A-5's so they could hunt with his old beater 500.another thing talked about earlyer is barrel selection.for what it costs to buy 1 rem. replacement barrel,you can buy a whole 500 ready to go!plus I have just as good, if not better selection,from my 18.5 cyl.bore to my 38in.full choke(no that is not a misprint,I said 38 in.factory maid barrel),and most of them are factory ported,none off witch I paid more than $150 for new.so like I said,the 870 is a good gun,but for the money,the 500 is the only way to go.
Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(4/5/03 11:58:59 pm)
Re: comparison of 870 vs. Mossberg

This article had some pro's and con's of each.
Click here
Shotgunworld.com
HeavyChevy
(4/10/03 11:25:13 pm)
Re: comparison of 870 vs. Mossberg

I myself love my mossbergs all three of them. I have 2 mossberg 500 and a mossberg 695.

HeavyChevy
LM NAHC
FOUNDING MEMBER HHH
www.hhh-usa.org
Stormbringer829
Unregistered User
(4/12/03 6:08:02 am)
Mossberg

Just wanted an opinion from you present and former Mossy owners on the Mossberg 9200. Both pros and cons appreciated. Also was wondering if the barrel is interchangable with the 5500, been looking to see if a slug barrel is available and can only find the 5500. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:55 pm 
The 835 has the best bore out of any of the shotguns with the diameter. It shoots superior patterns/cones. Decent gun for the money especially if you are going to do everything with it. At that price you don't have to worry if it gets dinged up.

That said, I am not a mossberg owner or fan. I rather have a one of the nicest autos or o/u by beretta.

Post subject: Re: mossberg shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:21 am 
I can't say enough good things about my old mossberg 500. Changing barrels is a breeze. Any firearm is only as good as the person behind it, I have never had a problem finding the mark. Living in Mass. I use it for Deer a lot. I have no problem bringing it across the muddy salt marshs for geese and ducks. I have taken that weapon on several turkey hunts with a $20 H.S. Strut Undertaker choke tub. I have never been disappointed in it. I have even had a guide offer to by the shotgun off me for his son while hunting turkeys in Tennesse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:35 am 
Presentation Grade

I own one of each, an 870 special purpose super mag camo, and a 500c 20ga. The mossberg is a 70's model with only one slide bar, and as a result, it is a very fast shucking pump, and very smooth, and "crisp" to echo an earlier posting. I actually prefer the top tang safety also.

BUT, the 870 is my main duck/goose/turkey gun, and it is AWESOME. I put a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on it, with rubberized grips and palm swell, and it is sweet. It should make a good trap/sporting clays gun too.

Conclusion: they are both great guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:59 pm 
I don't know much about remington's 870. But i do have a mossgerg 835. It is great never gave me any problems and works wonderfully. Espically because i picked it up for $290 out the door with only 2 rounds through the barrel. Sweet!

i can't tell anyone that remington sucks because i just don't know but i do know that the mossberg you can drop on the ground and pick it back up and not be to upset and it'll still work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:15 pm 
In response to the question about 9200, I have one and like it alot. The slug barrel may be ordered through a dealer. I bought a used one for my 9200. It is a good gun, lighter than a Remington.
I don't know if a S&W 5000 or older Mossberg barrel will fit it.
They are based on the same gun, but Mossberg made several changes on the 9200. I also have a 500 for deer hunting.
I like both the Remingtons and Mossbergs I have. Both are very reliable solid guns that point very well. the Remingtons tend to be a little heavier and more solid feeling. The Mossbergs are easier to carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:49 am 
Ornithology Expert

Anonymous wrote:
The 835 has the best bore out of any of the shotguns with the diameter. It shoots superior patterns/cones.

It outpatterns 12 gauge guns because it has a 10 gauge barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:40 am 
Field Grade

I have a Mossberg, but it started locking up when I would kick the shells out. I took it to get it fixed several times but it still does it. It worked fine up until this year. Now I have an 870 SPS and love it!