CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fixing scratches on barrel black matte finnish ?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Last year as some may recall i scratched the barrel of my bps up real bad in a duckboat on the gunnal. it wasn't alluminum coming off the boat either. they are good scratches.

Anyhoo i tried the birchwood casey super black flat black touch up pen. i thoroughly cleaned all the oil off the scratched area and let it dry for 24 hours. i thought it worked great until i oiled the gun with rem oil and it all came right off !

would my best recourse be to just spray paint ?

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

Post subject: Re: Fixing scratches on barrel black matte finnish ?
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those Super Black pens are just paint, so it is no surprise that it can come off. Why not touch up the blueing itself? That is a chemical process that is basically the same as the original blue on the barrel. It is very easy to use, and I have had good luck covering up scratches and worn spots with it.

I used B-C Perma Blue. http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html I found I don't even need to be real careful about getting all the oil off, just wipe it with a dry rag.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:23 pm 
Field Grade

Kinda the same stuff as mentioned, but I use 44/40 gun blue. Just a different brand touch up blue.

Use a little rubbing alcohol to clean the oil from the barrel. Then wipe a little 44/40 onto the scratchs with a Q-tip. Let it set for a second or two, then wipe off. Repeat till it blends in. Usually only takes one "coat".

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:14 am 
Limited Edition

my barrel isn't blued its a matte finish. but what the hey, its my beater gun so as long as it dont rust why not. it will look off though because sitting next to my wingmaster my barrel isn't reflective like the 870 and is a lot darker and rougher looking.

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

JOHN,
ANY OF THE ABOVE COLD BLUE`S WILL WORK, TO GET A BETTER SET OF THE BLUE AFTER DEGREASEING THE AREA WARM SLIGHTLY TO THE TOUCH WITH A PROPANE TORCH, THIS WILL OPEN UP THE PORES IN THE METAL AND ALLOW THE CHEMICAL TO PENETRATE DEEPER.

ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

a fib and proud of it wrote:
my barrel isn't blued its a matte finish.

Being matte doesn't mean it isn't blued. You can get a matte finish by bluing a barrel that has been bead blasted.

If it isn't blued, then what is it? You haven't told us what kind of finish it is. Matte is not a finish, it is a surface texture.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:29 am 
Limited Edition

my bad :oops: . i was under the impression that it was a different kind of finish. i know it sure isn't parkerized but it is almost like it was painted black. like i said it sticks out like a sore thumb next to the wingmaster. i have the synthetic stock stalker 3 1/2" bps. it was made in 2003 if that helps. i just wasn't sure if the blueing would be dark enough and dull enough. thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:52 am 
Field Grade

I was looking at Brownell's Aluma Hyde II cold cure spray-on epoxy finish for steel, alloy and plastics, for completely re-spraying my scratched Choate mag extension and clamp (matte finish):
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE+II
Anyone care to share their experiences with this product?