CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gauge for sporting clays
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've been shooting sporting clays every other Sunday for the past couple months and have been having a great time. I'm more concerned with having a good time than shooting a great score, so I'm thinking of taking along my little youth model 20 gauge Winchester (that my dad bought me years ago) this weekend. :lol:

Tomorrow night I'm going shopping for shells, any brand/load/shot size I should lean towards?

Thanks,

Michael

Post subject: Re: 20 gauge for sporting clays
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:53 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

If you are serious about 20 ga and are into reloading get the Remington STS 7/8 or 1 oz loads, I think Remington has them in 1 ozers, or next, the AA 1 oz loads and keep the emptys for reloading, if not, get the cheapos at wally world and have a good time. I'd opt for the 7/8 oz ones, not the 3/4s. 8s if they have them, if not 7-1/2s.

BP

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Michael,

If you are near an AcademySports, look at the Remington Heavy
Dove it is a 1 oz load and the hulls usually reload nicely. Around here the cost is $3.29/bx of 25.

Watch the boxes on some promotional shells as they may have only 20 rounds.

Enjoy the shootin', 421

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would shoot the 7/8 oz loads in a "youth model" personally. A light 20 with hot loads can be not so much fun for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey slick , buy any shells for the 20 , you answer your own questions. Have a good time :lol: , if your not into comp shooting stick any old shell in your gun , it does much the same as the good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the replies guys. After shooting my 20 gauge last week, I decided against taking it Sunday. It was just too darn small and light. I couldn't get down on the gun and it swung too easily/fast. So I stuck with my big ole SXS 12.

Another shooter did bring his small 20 gauge, and had a terrible time with it for the same reasons I didn't bring my 20 gauage. He just couldn't get down on the gun. I gave it a try and blew my first shot, but managed to get a two or three of the next four. Tough shooting a gun that small after getting used to bigger ones.

Michael