CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheapest ammo in Southern California?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Where's the cheapest place to get shotgun ammo in Socal and what brand-type-price is it?

:arrow: And for you back east folks, Wally world isn't the cheapest here and most likely will not carrying ammo anyway! :(

Post subject: Re: Cheapest ammo in Southern California?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I lived in the PRC, San Diego area, Big 5 sports had some awesome sales. They carried almost everything.

No offense, but I thank God I was able to transfer out after 6 years. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="drj211"]When I lived in the PRC, San Diego area, Big 5 sports had some awesome sales. They carried almost everything.

No offense, but I thank God I was able to transfer out after 6 years. :lol:[/quote]

:roll: I was thinking more of someone that currently lived in in Ca.particularly in the LA area!
:arrow: No offense taken, your loss our gain! :idea: Don't let a gator bite you in the azz :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Big 5 and Turners usually have some cheap stuff.

It'll probably be Estate or Rem Game Loads.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

In San Diego, the best prices I have found are the Federal Game Loads at Walmart. At $3.27/box of 25, they are up to $1.00 cheaper than Turner's. Of course, when we get nearer to Dove season, there will be many places with good sales. The biggest problem I have with the Walmart ammo is they don't sell by the flat, you have to buy the loose 25 shell boxes.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:50 am 
Field Grade

wALMART

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:16 am 
Field Grade

wb wrote:
Where's the cheapest place to get shotgun ammo in Socal and what brand-type-price is it?

Don't know. Up here in Northern California: If you don't want to wait for a sale, Walmart is nearly unbeatable. If you wait for a really good sale, Big 5 and similar big sport markets can beat Walmart, often by quite a margin. I hear that some dedicated gun stores will give excellent prices, if you order a huge quantity all at once (say a pallet load). I used to hear that some people drive up to Oregon (no sales tax) when there is a good sale at Bi-Mart, and get a huge quantity of shells. Given the gas prices right now, this is probably not economically sensible (from here it is 400 miles each way, from LA it is much further).

Quote:
:arrow: And for you back east folks, Wally world isn't the cheapest here and most likely will not carrying ammo anyway! :(

Well, I'm not back east, I'm only a few hundred miles north of you (southern end of bay area), and I respectfully disagree. Also, quite a few Walmarts in the area are carrying ammo, and are continueing to do so. For example, the Gilroy Walmart will be remodeled (actually moved to a larger building next door), and the sporting goods / ammo department will be very much enlarged. Gilroy is actually so far south of the bay area, one should already call it Central California.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:51 am 
Crown Grade

quote treelogger: "Well, I'm not back east, I'm only a few hundred miles north of you (southern end of bay area), and I respectfully disagree."

Never been in a wal-mart up north, only can go by what I seen here in the LA/OC area. So far the four that are in easy driving distance only one has ammo and then only a very small supply. At that Turners still has the best price/selection so I guess Turners is it!
Was just hoping someone knew of a local gun shop/sporting goods that still carried ammo at decent prices. Turners has Estate dove/target loads for $4.50 for 12 gauge and $4.29 for 20 last time I checked so I guess thats about it? :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:43 am 
Field Grade

Weird.

To some extent the following happens up here with the Walmarts: The ones in the densely populated, urban areas have small sporting goods / hunting / ammo departments, and very little ammo. The ones at the fringes to rural areas (like Gilroy) have much larger ones. If you want to make red/blue state jokes, go right ahead. If this hunch is really right, try driving for an hour towards a more rural area (for example towards Bakersfield, San Bernadino/Redland, Lancaster, or down towards San Diego, or maybe Simi Valley), and try a Walmart there. Probably good idea to call first.

I happen to be lucky: My office is at the southernmost edge of the bay area proper, and from there down to Gilroy (beginning or rural central california) is just 20 minutes. The prices in Gilroy work out to about $3.50 or so per box of 25 (either buying individual boxes of 25, or the long boxes of 100 or 125 shells apiece). On the other hand, it is not unusual to find the same box of clay target loads in a high-end gun store for $7.99 each.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:04 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm in San Jose and the Wally World cost for the 12g 100 shell (fed or win) sleeve runs $15.22. With taxes added it's $16.47 - so the box price ends up being $4.11.

I pretty sure that you can get a case of target loads for better than 41.10 out the door in a gun store. Just find a case in Santa Clara County for 37 bucks or less and even with taxes you'll still beat walmarts price.

Although the convenience factor is pretty darn cool... I just bought 4 or 5 sleeves there the other day.
:?

I've just started looking for alternatives to walmart - as I've noticed the prices online can get to around 32 buck a case. But the shipping kills ya. There sometimes are sales at places like autolife and Mels (even Reeds) and when they happen it's worth stocking up.

Great news that they are updating the hunting area in the gilroy store. The Los Banos one during duck season seems to be a regular stop for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:26 am 
Field Grade

I know, this is thread hijacking, but here goes:

I've had good luck with sales on pistol ammo at Trader Sports in San Leandro. If you get a case (1000 rounds of .45 ACP), it is exactly as cheap as the cheapest mail order supplier (CheaperThanDirt), even with sales tax and shipping thrown in, namely $200 for 1000 rounds. On the other hand, this requires going to San Leandro and then into Trader Sports, which always makes me feel like I'm taking my life into my own hands. Bulletproof vests should be mandatory in that area. :D

The Walmart in Gilroy is moving to another part of the same series of stripmalls, fundamentally across the street. The sporting goods manager (very friendly older gentleman) is all excited, because his department is slated to grow a lot. It is also near one of the only Lowe's in the bay area (which is otherwise dominated by the evil Home Despot), so a trip to Gilroy is always a little pleasure for me, were it not for the fact that I usually combine it with a visit to my dentist, who is in Hollister.

I've heard that the only time you can get a good deal at Reed's is when they have their great sale in the summer (this is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but their prices on guns are pretty steep). Unfortunately, at that time you can also not park anywhere near it. I tried shopping there once during the sale (I didn't know how crowded it would get), and there were about 100 people sitting around, waiting in line to do their DROS forms on firearms alone.

Never looked at the sales at Mel's. I've found surprisingly cheap .22 target ammo at the Almaden Gun Exchange (on Almaden Expwy), which is just a little hole in the wall store.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:43 am 
Limited Edition

GI Joes had a sale recently on Remington game load 12ga 3 1/4dram 1oz #8, or 20ga 2 3/4 dram 7/8 oz #8 for $2.99 a box, $29.90 a flat. Not bad, that works!.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Swung by traders this afternoon and had enough time to pick up a case of Sellier and Bellot #4s and a case of Rio trap ammo. Got in the store as the guy was walking over to lock it.

The S&Bs were cheap but the Rios were hovering around the price of the walmart promo packs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Turner's in So. Cal has Estate 1 oz, 7.5 shoot in 12 and 20 gauge for $3.48/box or $34.80/flat. That's still $.20 more/box than at WallyWorld but you can buy by the flat so I guess that is a good deal. We do not Trader Sports or any of those other stores you Bay Area guys are talking about in San Diego. Like I said earlier though, ater in the sumer just before opening of Dove Season, we should see quite a few sales at Turner's, WallyWorls, Big 5, and the local gun shops.

Rick