CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHEAP SEMI AUTO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:56 pm 
im looking for a cheap new semi auto shotgun under 300$ i am yest to find one under $400 links or info will help

Post subject: Re: CHEAP SEMI AUTO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

For $300 I think your best bet in a semi-auto will be the 12 ga Bakail. I have seen them at gun shows for $299, new.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Charles Daly offers a Semi-auto field ( black finish, synthetic stocks) in 12 or 20 for $300.00. Wally world has 'em. There has been some mixed reviews on this gun, but I bought one anyhow ( 20 ga, 26" barrel) because it's very light and fast handling ( I quail hunt). I have 250 rounds thru it so far with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I, most often, pass on this type of post[not always]. But after reading X number of "what do you think of this brand of cheap shotgun" type posts,it hits a certain level inside,and it's time to say it again.Why? I realize that most people can't necessarily afford high end shotguns, I'm one of them, but how "cheap" do you get before you're just begging for problems? There's a reason you don't find many semi-auto's for under $300. Have you ever seen anything of reasonable quality come out of a sweatshop? Or,perhaps it's not the labor rate that keeps the price of these guns down. Maybe it's in the materials. Every gun has a finite number of shots in it from the day it's manufactured.In my opinion,one should ask, " How many shots would I like to get from this gun?" If you can honestly say that after a reasonably short amount of time,[relative to normal expected gun life], you figure you've gotten your $300 worth,then buy it. If you're approaching this in the expectation that you can beat the system[i.e.get $700 life expectancy out of a $300 gun],then I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes with you. I believe it was George C. Scott, in "The Flim-Flam Man", who said " You can never cheat an honest man".
Well, I guess I've vented enough. No intention of offending anyone, and I apologize if I have.
Good luck and good shooting,no matter how you choose.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Not to ignore the parameters you've set yourself--I see the bold font on "new"--but you needn't be dead set against used guns. You can safely buy one if you're a bit careful and willing to put in the time. Also, hanging around local gunshops is fun and you'll get a bit of education.

Buying used can be source of annoyance, but if you take your time, read, learn, and ask advice, you'll come out fine. There are people on the board who can tell you every nuance and potential problem of a semi-auto shotgun. My pard JLP is one of 'em :) Say the word and we'll post advice for looking for a good used piece.

Just a thought. Consider the merits of a good quality used gun vs. an iffy new one. :) No offense intended.

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:46 pm 
Field Grade

Jim,

I respect your opinion on "cheap" guns, but "cheap" is relative. I have seen a lot of expensive stuf that was flat out disappointing. I purchased the Baikal MP153 and am completely satisfied with it. I probably only have about 700 round though it, but for a cheap gun ($325.00) I have not had a single problem.

My cousin has a dodge viper, probably an $80,000 car it now has 26K miles. She has to have the head gaskets replaced and it isn't because of neglect.

I on the other hand have a dodge caravan, an $18,000 vehicle. Both vehicles get us from point A to point B.

Which vehicle is better? Both perform the same basic function!

Sorry I got off on a tangent But you shouldn't focus on the $$$ focus on the functionality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Spatrat, Cheap is indeed a relative term. So is sanity. If you lived in a society where everyone deemed it appropriate to run naked whenever it rained, you would be considered insane if you,alone, didn't. I think that on this forum,the majority of people would agree that $300 is very cheap for a semi-auto shotgun. That, in this world, makes it so. I come from a world where, generally, you get what you pay for. I don't necessarily go with the highest bidder, but somebody priced far below everyone else is immediately written off as a quack or a crook. This comes from years of experience in dealing with things mechanical. There are certain expenses involved in doing things right. I'm not trying to offend anyone,just perhaps to open a few eyes. I would HOPE that I could discuss your Baikal with you 20 or 50 years from now and hear that you've shot it a lot with absolutely no problems.I would EXPECT to hear that from someone else, who bought a more "normally" priced gun.
Once again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, which is why I normally avoid this subject with someone who has already made a purchase or a decision on one.
Good Luck,
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have owned many more expensive firearms. I just recently purchased a Baikal MP-153. You will not go wrong with this gun for around 300 bucks. I would recommend this firearm from it's past reviews on this forum and for it's value. I’ll add to this forum that I bought a Beretta Extrema for $960.00 and the safety was screwed up. I also have a friend who recently spent over a $1,000.00 for a Browning Gold 3-1/2 and the gun was a chronic jammer. He had to send the firearm back to Browning. In both of these cases pride of ownership went out the window at a much greater cost. I have seen quality control problems from some other better known more established gun companies as well. Most of these firearm companies charge a premium for their products. I have hunted with a Mod-12, a Wingmaster 870 and an Ithaca Mod-37 over the years. All these firearms were well over $500.00. That is pretty expensive for a field pump shotgun in my mind. I want to say that I like all of these firearms and would recommend them to anyone. I would also admit that by far the best pump shotgun I’ve personally ever owned and used is a Benelli Nova. (NO COMPARISON BAR NONE..!) I purchased this gun from Gander Mountain for $279.00 plus tax. Benelli proves that one could still get a well-made hunting shotgun these days for around $300.00. After shooting/having this firearm for 2-years, I would most certainly say that this gun would last a lifetime. (That is if the firearm is taken care of properly.) In many cases, I believe that many of the bigger firearm companies are definitely over charging for the quality of their products these days. I agree that cheaper is not always the better way. Either is spending more for a name and getting less. Unfortunately this happens too. That is why I really like forums like this one provided by Shotgun World. We can learn/educate each other from our own personal experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

jds,

I read an earlier post of yours saying you and your buddies were going to take the 153 out a basically torture it to see how it does. Have you had the chance to do that? I would be interested in hearing. I haven't had a single problem with mine yet.

Spatrat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

Spatrat,

If you get a chance check out the CDNN catalog
http://www.cdnninvestments.com for your prospective shotgun, you can find deals from 159.00 to over 3000.00 depending on what you are looking for. You'll have to download the catalog and view it with Adobe pdf viewer becuase the don't advertise their firearms online.

-Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

corinth,

Thanks for the link, but I purchased the 153 about four months ago and haven't had any problems, but I am just a part time weekend warrior. I wanted to hear from jds to see how the gun performed after being put through the wringer.

Spatrat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:30 pm 
Limited Edition

I would have to agree with Jim on this subject. However, if it was a choice between not shooting at all or buying the cheap gun, I would probably get the cheap gun simply to enjoy the sport. You do get what you pay for, and if you must buy the cheapest semi possible, your getting exactly that, a standard grade cheap Russian shotgun. It may last you for a number of years, you may get plenty of rounds through it, but the end result will most likely be a broken cheap Russian shotgun. I would suggest this, wait a little while, save a few extra bucks, and get something in the $500 range. Now, even for that you may not get a great gun, but at least you'll be getting a half decent shotgun. Go the extra mile, save up the extra $200. My first semi was a Mossberg 9200 from Wal-Mart. I think it was around $500. I have literally put 1000's upon 1000's rnds through this gun and not once have ever had a problem, just keep it clean. It may not be a great gun, but it's a workhorse, a decent shooter, and I don't anticipate having problems with the gun.
You know what the Italian, Belgium, and other gun makers do when they get too much work? They contract out to the Turks to fulfill their orders. You may be holding a nice gun from Italy, but the barrel was made in Turkey. Why Turkey? Because they do half decent work. Yea, the Huglu brand name had their share of problems and a high number of work orders, but for the most part the Turks can hold their own when it comes to manufacturing. I would recommend the Turkish shotgun over the Russian. Traditions firearms imports Turkish autoloaders and you can get one for around $460. I would go that route instead of buying the cheapest Russian auto available. This is of course if you insist
on a brand new shotgun. If your willing to go used, you can probably find a good autoloader for the same money that will be better than the cheap Russian gun. I like Jim don't want to offend anybody,
but I just can't find anything nice to say about the cheap Russian guns. Take a look at the Traditions field series autoloaders. http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop ... eld+Series

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:12 am 
Diamond Grade

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll put the features, reliability and performance of a MP153 against ANY other semi auto on the market, new or used. You can not argue with fact or results. Listen to those of us that own them, they just plain work, no matter what! They are not made in sweat shops they are made by one of the largest industrial companies in Russia. The gun is not the most elegant on the block, but if you want a gun to take in the field, blind, or trapline and have it work and take anything you feed it, the MP153 is the gun.
If we are talking strictly performance (not the way the thing looks, hunting isn't supposed to be pretty) you will not find a better auto from the US, Turkey, UK, Japan or anywhere else for ANY price! If you search for MP153 on this board you will see a trend: People that look at the price tag say it is junk, people that take it home and use it say it s a great gun and suggest others buy it. Who would you believe?

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:24 am 
Field Grade

Go Get em, Gordon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gordon,

Just curious. How many shells have you shot through your MP153? Carrying it all day through the rain and mud and shooting 5 shots, still just counts as 5 shots. No reflection on you or the gun, but until I hear a reasonable number of shooters saying (hopefully truthfully) that they have put in excess of 10,000 rounds through their gun, I will still believe that it's best use is as a low volume usage, knock-about type gun. I'm not just saying this about the MP153. The same thing applies to all the low price imported autoloaders. The Berettas, Brownings, and Remingtons have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will go 30K, 50K, or more rounds with only normal maintenance and minimal parts replacement. Until I see or hear of similar service from the low price imports, they will continue to be of lower quality in my view point. Of course, if you just want a gun to shoot 5 boxes of shells a year, and don't care if it's discontinued and no parts available for it in a couple of years, then it may be a good buy for you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

The gun has had between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds through it, not the 10,000 your looking for but it will be next year. It is used for at least 50 clays a week, more when it's warmer. It is also used for bird, rabbit, deer and squirl hunting. The gun is my wife's gun and the only shotgun she has and uses. She shoots as much as I do, more some months. Don't let the fact that a woman shoots this gun fool you, she puts it through as much hell and any other sportsman would do. She sits in the snow for deer, romps the fields for pheasent, hangs in the boat for geese and walks the woods for squirl. She is also the captain of our trap team! It helps that we have a great club for trap and target shooting less than a mile from us and great rabit and goose hunting even closer.
This gun is by no means a box a year gun!

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks, Gordon. It sounds like the gun is doing very well. It may turn out to be a very good buy on a good gun. I didn't mean to be as critical or negative as my post may have sounded. I was just trying to say that shotguns can't be judged on how well they do from only shooting a few hundred rounds through them. Some very good guns may have a few problems on their first few boxes while some lesser quality guns may do OK for the first few hundred rounds. It's only when the number of rounds gets well into the thousands, IMO, that you can tell the quality guns from the non-quality guns. Thanks for the update on your gun and let us know its progress as you get even more rounds through it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

The MP153 sounds like a gun I may be interested in.....do you know if they have a website or where the gun may be available.....I live where the middle of no-where is the big city.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:41 pm 
I am shocked that no one has mentioned Verona.

Verona is EXACTLY what you are looking for. Cheap, reliable. I have an SX-405 with a little over a thousand rounds through it, and while it is not the greatest firearm in the world, it is still excellent. EXTREMELY reliable. It also is rather attractive, especially in wood, though I prefer and own a synthetic.

All together, you are getting

VERY good quality
Firm, tight fitting components
No rattling\wiggling WHATSOEVER
Comfortable to shoot and to hold
Rather attractive

Very fun, down and dirty autoloader, all for $280. Buy it, you won't regret it.
Yes, it is Turkish, but don't let that turn you off. Go to a gunshop, hold one, and tell me if for $280 that doesn't ring your bell! Good luck!

[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:06 am 
Diamond Grade

I respect Gordon Setter's thoughts greatly, and I believe he has given you solid advice, as far as it goes. Maybe the foreign gun will do you nicely, but I thoroughly disagree with the last poster. Telling you that one particular make of gun is the answer to all your prayers is just mis-information, so I feel it necessary to add some thoughts. First, you can get a good solid Remington 1100 used for about $300 if you look around. Support your local gun dealer. Second, I know you asked for a semi-auto, but just consider a good solid pump too. There are several entry-level pumps on the market new for under $300 and you will come to love and trust them. You don't NEED a semi-auto unless you are going to shoot skeet. Just a thought.

The way you shoot the gun is much more important than the gun itself! Spend your money on stock fitting, range time, and maybe a lesson or two! You won't regret it.

Jeff23
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen
National Rifle Association