CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ O/U canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:25 am 
Field Grade

Can I get your opinons on this gun. The price is 700 dollars (this fair). Is CZ any good. Any and all comments welcome. Anyone know a retailer in dayton ohio that has them on the shelf to look at. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: CZ O/U canvasback
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We bought my Nephew the Huglu o/u double trigger model from DeHaan, can't remember what CZ is calling this one. He has shot thousands of rounds through it. Used it for every type of gamebird around here. He also was on the second place High School trap team with it this year. I know that it has help up very well for him and is basically the same gun that CZ is selling. I have 5 Huglu/ CZ guns and like them all.

Go to the CZ website and they will have a search feature that tells you where the dealers are located. DeHaan also sells what is basically the same gun but CZ offers a 5 year warranty to DeHaans 2. Hope this helps.

http://www.cz-usa.com/

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Redhead CZ .410 has been back at Kansas City, Kansas for 5 weeks now, awaiting repairs. The breakdown lever wouldn't stay to the right when the gun was broken down. This is a gun that only had about 6 boxes of shells fired thru it.

I'm getting very disillusioned with the CZ non service after the sale.

When I enquire about it they just keep telling me its in line to be fixed, for what thats worth.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:07 pm 
Field Grade

Five weeks is a long time to wait for service to begin, but its nothing compared to some companies take several months to fix a gun(Browning and Beretta), repair time has to do with how many guns they have coming through their facility, some times of the year it is busier than others. I don't know why so many companies skimp on hiring more repair people.

EyeMissum wrote:
My Redhead CZ .410 has been back at Kansas City, Kansas for 5 weeks now, awaiting repairs. The breakdown lever wouldn't stay to the right when the gun was broken down. This is a gun that only had about 6 boxes of shells fired thru it.

I'm getting very disillusioned with the CZ non service after the sale.

When I enquire about it they just keep telling me its in line to be fixed, for what thats worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

The CZ is an import from Turkey made by Huglu. Huglu also makes the DeHaan. These guns have been getting mixed reviews. Some owners are very pleased while others have a lot of complaints.

CZ is a reputable company and should stand behind their products. If you get a good deal and it fits you well it might be worth taking a chance on one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ihad a problem with a CZ 720 doubling on me sent it back and they had a new gun to me in a week. I would have to say I am happy with the customer service I received.

In Comparison I have a DeHaan so 12 ga that doubled it took over a month to get it back but no problem with it since. Was a busyer time of year though.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't know about the canvasback , however the redhead has been getting steller reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Outdoor Life has a new products issue and the CZ Redhead got a 'great value' or something like that. Editor's pick was a $4500 Kimber shotgun. The 'review' was just a couple of paragraphs, but I may go check one out. I was about decided on a Baikal/Spartan over/under for clay shooting, but I think I'll have to take a look at a Redhead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is nothing wrong with the Huglu line. They are what they are.

However, that article in Outdoor Life was pathetic. I would put ZERO stock in any such review. Ever wonder why they reviewed so many Turkish guns? Keep in mind, this wasn't a review of the entire class, rather a review of only the guns selected. Notice the reason these guys did/did not like the guns - purely fu-fu stuff, nothing to do with function or quality.

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:15 am 
Presentation Grade

I just bought one today :lol: Got a 12 ga with 28inches. From what I have read about the line of guns in general they seem to be pretty good.
It seems to me that the canvasback is the same as a redhead but with out the silver and it only comes in 12 and 20 ga.
Ill get it in 10 days and I'll post some thing about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Diggers, according to the 2005 catalog I have, the Canvasback doesn't have auto ejectors. To get ejectors in a CZ o/u, you have to get a 12 or 20 guage Redhead or a 12 or 20 guage Woodcock. All the other over/unders only have extractors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can get the Redhead and Woodcock with either ejectors or extractors.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yep, I guess that is a small difference between the 2. But lucky for me I don't like ejectors. I hate when I miss catching the spent shell and it goes flying over my shoulder then I have to go scramble around and pick them up.
Once with a loaner gun I managed to pop myself between the eyes with a spent shell. :shock: My friend found that quite amusing. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:56 am 
Tournament Grade

I have been researching these guns for 4 years now and have come to the conclusion that there is no uniformity in the line Dehaan or CZ. You may get a good one or a lemon. I got a good one (CZ ringneck), but not without teething pains. One of the firing pin holes is off center but still close enough to ignite the primer every time. Unrelated to the previous issue, the left barrel would misfire sometimes so I sent it back. CZ said it was wood interfering with the sear and so they relieved the wood. When I got it back same problem. I discovered that you must open the gun all the way to cock the hammer of the left barrel, that’s why it was misfiring. CZ misdiagnosed the problem. Also the rib is wavy, probably warped a little during soldering. None of that matters to me though. Both barrels shoot to POA, it shoots great, and its reliable.

My biggest concern is reports about soft metal on the sears hammers and cocking levers. I’m thinking of ordering an extra set of each and then having them hardened by a pro. If you get a Huglu inspect it thoroughly, thoroughly, thoroughly. You may be the only quality control the gun ever receives.

20 ga.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

From what I've read about CZ in my short time as a member of the gun world, I can't imagine them risking their reputation as a quality firearms maker on a shotgun unless they were convinced of being able to put out a product with consistent quality.

And does the CZ come with any type of case? Since the catalog or website make no mention of one, I would guess no.

Last edited by CrusherT on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CrusherT,
Mine came in a cardboard box, just like Remington an Browning. :?

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:06 pm 
Field Grade

[quote="20 ga."]I have been researching these guns for 4 years now and have come to the conclusion that there is no uniformity in the line Dehaan or CZ. You may get a good one or a lemon. I got a good one (CZ ringneck), but not without teething pains. One of the firing pin holes is off center but still close enough to ignite the primer every time. Unrelated to the previous issue, the left barrel would misfire sometimes so I sent it back. CZ said it was wood interfering with the sear and so they relieved the wood. When I got it back same problem. I discovered that you must open the gun all the way to cock the hammer of the left barrel, that’s why it was misfiring. CZ misdiagnosed the problem. Also the rib is wavy, probably warped a little during soldering. None of that matters to me though. Both barrels shoot to POA, it shoots great, and its reliable.

This is why it is probably better to buy a Huglu from Dehaan, I believe he checks every gun that he sells to make sure they meet his quailty level. This does not mean you will get a gun that will be without problems but at least he has weeded out the worst offenders. CZ probably does not check (probably have thousands in their warehouse) many if any of their Huglu shotguns they receive from the importer, so you are more likley to receive a lemon. Also from all accounts Dehaan is far more accomdating with you if you need to return a gun because of a defect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Personally I have had issues with DeHaan guns and CZ guns. CZ took less time to remedy my problem than DeHaan and now offers a 5 year warranty to DeHaans 2, that would tilt my decision to CZ.

I have also had issues of not fully cocking the second barrel on my So 12 ga but that was mostly in the duck blind where any break open shotgun is a pain. Overall I am hapy with the 5 Huglus I have and would recommend them to anyone.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:32 pm 
Field Grade

Chaco1 wrote:
Personally I have had issues with DeHaan guns and CZ guns. CZ took less time to remedy my problem than DeHaan and now offers a 5 year warranty to DeHaans 2, that would tilt my decision to CZ.

I have also had issues of not fully cocking the second barrel on my So 12 ga but that was mostly in the duck blind where any break open shotgun is a pain. Overall I am hapy with the 5 Huglus I have and would recommend them to anyone.

Personally, I would not buy a Huglu shotgun since I only do clay shooting. There are just to many complaints due to their lack of quailty control and internal parts quailty. Nothing serious like a barral busting, but the little things(broken firing pins, misaligned or out of spec parts etc) can add up in a life time. And if they are only going to replace them with similary made parts then it is only a delaying tatic till it fails again. Besides popular belief Dehaan's Huglus are not any better quality than CZs. And I doubt CZ or Dehaan will ever get Huglu to change their practices in the factory any time soon. Huglu manufactures and sells guns to locations where quanity is more important than quality. I know they have the technology, and materials(best stock wood in the world) to make excellent products but lack the focus, training and finances to make top quality shotguns to compete in quality to a Beretta, Browning, Winchester or even Verona. They are probably fine guns for limited shooting as in hunting ( I would buy one if I was a hunter), but for clay shooting they would not be a great investment. I am not from the school of thought that one has to pay thousands or buy a B gun for a great gun, but you do have to spend time on research to find a well made gun at a great price.

Last edited by cbsbyte on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Amen brother, Amen
Being an old retired gunsmith I still get into a few guns now and then. I have been into a Kahn and I can flat tell you it was plane junk. I also had a Huglu apart and although it was better I wouldn.t have one. The parts are rough and the steel is soft. Guns from Italy and Spain are much better inside. You should see the inside of a Verona say compared to a turkish gun. The Verona is much better. If you want to see a gun that looks like a watch inside you should see the inside of the Winchester O/U The parts are stamped with the guns serial # on them. What a nice touch that is!! I found the Lanber to be very well built also.

It's your money!!