CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .22 LR vs .22 WMR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

What are the pros and cons of each round . I am having a hard time deciding between a .22 LR or a .22 WMR NEF Sportster. They are both $110.00 at Wal-Mart. The rifle will be used for squirrel hunting.

Post subject: Re: .22 LR vs .22 WMR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey, the .22 is cheaper to shoot, and quieter. The Mag. will reach out and hit harder. If you are mainly huntin squirrels,Id get a regular, with the mag. only a head shot will do as it will make a mess on a body hit. I have hunted with both,the mag. excells on varmints, more enegry than a .22 reg. I also use a .223 hand loaded and head shoot, I live way out in the country,and like it best for all furry critters smaller than a deer.Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't see much use for the 22 magnum. Anything that the 22 LR can't do the 223 can. I would go with the 22 LR. You can buy 550 rounds for only $8 at Wal-Mart. That is a lot of plinking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

go to the store and look at each ammo, yes you did'nt find 22wmr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Goldeyeslayer wrote:
go to the store and look at each ammo, yes you did'nt find 22wmr
What do you mean by that ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I believe what he was saying was that in ANY store that would carry any kind of ammo at all, .22LR would be one of the choices. Guaranteed. Not so with the magnum. If they do actually have the magnum, it'll cost quite a bit more. Throwing rocks costs more than shooting .22LR ammo.

It's a good cartridge, don't get me wrong. It has good things going for it, and if you already had a .22LR rifle, I'd say you might find some use for a mag. A lot of people like the WMR, and with good reason. If you don't have an LR, then it's about time you got one. It's a logistical thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:31 am 
Diamond Grade

For squirrels I would definately go with the LR. The WMR ruins too much meat. I don't even shoot the hyper velocity stuff like CCI Stingers. I stick with standard velocity or high velocity ammo. My Ruger 77/22 Varmint really likes CCI Mini Mag HPs. I go for head shots, but even in the body they usually do the trick. Pretty much any shot to the body will ruin quite a lot of meat, there isn't that much on a squirrel to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:44 pm 
Limited Edition

killerb wrote:
For squirrels I would definately go with the LR. The WMR ruins too much meat. I don't even shoot the hyper velocity stuff like CCI Stingers. I stick with standard velocity or high velocity ammo. My Ruger 77/22 Varmint really likes CCI Mini Mag HPs. I go for head shots, but even in the body they usually do the trick. Pretty much any shot to the body will ruin quite a lot of meat, there isn't that much on a squirrel to start with.

I couldn't agree more. I even quit using hollow points for squirrel. They're just not needed. IMO the only benefit to the magnum is if you intend to coyote hunt and your in an area where you can't use a center fire rifle. Otherwise the mag is just too hot.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:36 pm 
Limited Edition

I have to at least disagree somewhat with clayshooter, killerb, & DHM.
I don't mean to flame any comments, but just offering my opinion on the 22mag from using one and trial and error. I had access to a camp, 170 acres a mix of woodland, tillable lots, & hedgerows with a few old logging trails. Borrowed a friends 882 one fine weekend to try out. Next month I purchased a 25mn because I couldn't find an 882 within a 100 miles plus Im stubborn and the 25mn is the same rifle with a different stock & sights. No matter she was scoped from day 1.
The following season in fact 2-3 years total after that I took to squirrel hunting in a big way. Truth be known it was not why I bought the rifle, but so many, I mean so many times I went out for fox and the greys would be out in force, so I caved. Not a bad thing though I'll tell you why. I got to try and experiment with lots of ammo. CCI, Remington, Winchester, Armscor, PMC - from the 30's to the mid weights, to the 50's. The marlin twist seems to favor the 40 gr, but those supremes are smokin`. I liked the v-max but it had it's own poi compared to anything else I shot, and this didn't fit into my plan. Wanted two-three rounds with a similar poi and acceptable accuracy. At the time I found them, Remington's 40 grain hp & soft-point, & Winchester's 40 gr jacketed hp. Most of the hollow points worked great on critters like racoons & woodchucks. The soft-point was the trick when it comes to less damage. Even on squirrel. I also took this rile and ammo to Shawnee 03`, where a few dozen dedicated squirrel hunters saw the same results. Btw I consider myself a decent hunter, but I was humbled by some of the talents some of these people had. From cleaning squirrels to Identifying mast trees - quite the collection of rimfires there too. Good friend of mine brought a caplock he built. I got to enjoy Texas sweet onions roasted on coals, carp on crackers, homemade brews, and met some of the finest people from all over, including a fella from UK. Ok this is a bit off topic but if you want to find out more there are a few threads on the Shawnee Ill. national squirrel hunt at rimfirecentral.
How about this if you want to see:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3m5bt/013_13.jpg - an average morning haul from old camp in the fall, 25mn & Rem 40 gr. soft points.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3m5bt/foxr.jpg - same rifle, same ammo on fox.

And so to rebute that the 22wmr is to damaging, I'll just say I have seen water roll of a ducks back and leave it at that.
On the other hand shooting squirrels with hollow-points - generaly does turn them inside out. I had images of the sorts as well but misplaced them. I had images of results from firing several different 22wmr ammo into wet phone books, pulled the bullets as to record and remember the results. What does that prove? Probably nothing to anyone who hasn't done that or if your tired of me rambling already. Plus there's no garuntees of course. However I belive from trial and error, which 22wmr ammo will pencil through, and which will not. Btw; the winchester 40 gr. jhp mushroomed almost like you would expect a jsp to do. And these days CCI loads for Rem. rimfire and the 40 hp is the same as the CCI maxi-mag. Winchester has moved rimire facitities, and the v-max? I dunno but rumor has it CCI is developing a gamepoint 22wmr. Less velocity or some jazz.
If I was going squirrel hunting I would have no problem using the 60, or a good 10/22. But if seasons are overlapping, and up here the do, Im going to take the 25mn out. I friggin love that rifle. It's not just I know what it can do or how to use it with the right ammo. Lots of areas near central New York and 'developed'. And even if this wasn't the case the report is low, this can be attractive. But it realy just adds to the 22wmr's usefullness.
To close by the end of the third year there the Eastern population was begining to flourish. I like to think I had a part in that. You want to know what the pisser part is - I don't have access to that place anymore. And I can tell you I miss it something feirce. The guy we sub-leased from went and had some of the woods logged, one fine day I show up to go camping and do some hunting and the state police were there, and the landowner. I didn't get into any trouble but it wasn't a good day for old Freddie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Head shots are key. You don't have to worry about ruining meat that way. But them little buggers rarely hold still for you. The WMR's extra velocity gives it a flatter trajectory, which takes some guess work out of estimating range and hold over. It has been my experience that the WMR is just not as accurate as a LR. However, some of the new ammo and bullets available for the WMR have probably changed that. I will stick with the LR for squirrel. But there is nothing wrong with owning one of each. You can never have too many. I, like DHM, live in Michigan where we can't use a centerfire when calling at night. That leaves us with a shotgun (no buckshot :( ) or the rimfires. I don't trust the .17 HMR's light bullet on an animal as large as a coyote. The .22 WMR is far from ideal, but given the law its my choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the info. I decided the .22LR would best suit my needs.