CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AK-47 accuracy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do not have an ak, nor do I want one. But I do want to know how accurate they are. At what range can they still be effective to kill deer?

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Post subject: Re: AK-47 accuracy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

The ones I have seen and/or used have not been what I would call accurate, 4'' inches or slightly under at 100 yards is about the best I've seen. Many more are in the 6" range at 100 yards. I think of it at best as a 150 yard gun, much like a good shotgun slug based mostly upon its accuracy potential. I also don't think much of the cartridge energy levels. It is comparable to a 30/30 but I don't feel the bullet has enough mass to consistantly have adequate penetration and expansion much beyond the 150 range. I think the 30/30 is capable of 200 yards with the right shooter and loads. My opinion here is totally subjective based on the several deer I've seen taken with the 7.62x39. I don't care for the round as I think the cartridge is marginal for largish deer and the rifle platform was designed to a totally different accuracy standard than that considered for ethical hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

AK's have a .311 bore, compared to .308 in a mini-30. Hunting ammo made in the US uses .308 bullets, which will probably not shoot to the same POI as milspec ammo in an AK.

Milspec 7.62x39 is not suitable for hunting, so anyone who wants to hunt with an AK or SKS needs to sight their gun in with hunting ammo to see where it's going to hit.

AK's and SKS's typically shoot 4-6 MOA. They are not really a desirable gun for hunting, but they will kill a deer. Ballistically they are close to .30-30.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:17 pm 
Regional Reporter

if you get a six inch group at 100 yds. your doing great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:05 am 
Crown Grade

i agree with the 6 inch group mentioned above for an ak-47.

but there are so many other ak variations capable of much smaller groups. saiga and vepr rifles are much more accurate, and the dragunov ain't too bad either.

Post subject: re: AK-47 accuracy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm surprised at what I'm reading? Am I missing something?

I bought a Hungarian made ak47 about two months ago. After a little practice and front sight adjustments, I'm getting 2" groups at 100 yards.

I've barely put 100 rounds through this rifle, but I can attribute my earlier inaccuracy to my rusty shooting skills. I haven't fired a rifle since I left the Marines decades ago. After recalling and practicing what I learned at Parris Island, I'm getting consistent 2" groups. I'm ready to move back to 200 yds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Romanian AK at my parents house and that bad boy puts decent groups at the 100 yard range. Depending on how steady I am, I can usually get 2.5-3" groups at 100 yards.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Polytech and it will shoot 2.5-3" at 100yd. with any cheap ammo I run through it.I have owned many AKs and that around 4" is the norm for cheap or surplus ammo.Out of roughly 30 of them,I've only hated 2 of them.One Chinese and one Romanian.Those were the 6" groupers and both had short barrels.Coulda been a barrel issue or something.I believe they are a fine rifle/cartridge for deer as long as you stay 100yds or less.Guys hunt with .243s all the time and very few people question that round.Again,I think it's the "scary gun" mentality that make people want to dismiss the AK/SKS as a sporting gun.

Jimmy D

-Jules Winfield-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing I found that has helped for both accuracy and in hunting situations is to get a "Scout scope mount" and a long eye relief scope for your AK and or SKS rifle. http://scoutscopes.com/index.html
The Scout scope mount attaches where your original rear iron sites mounted. This makes for a stable platform to mount your scope. Since this will put your scope mount ahead of the action you must use a long eye relief scope such as is used on handguns or a red dot type.
This with hand loaded rounds will consistently shoot 2" groups at 150 yards fired from a rest and clean bore. I use 26 gr. of Reloader 7 powder and a Hornady #3140 Soft Point bullet. Speed is around 2280 fps which allows for plenty of energy to take deer sized game, provided the bullet is placed properly.
Happy shooting
:D

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow!

I'm glad there are other AK shooters out there getting better than 6" groups at 100 yds. I understand there may be a big difference between Romanian, Russian, Hungarian, Chinese, etc., as well as the type and quality of ammo.

For me, the Hungarian AK47 and American Eagle, 124 grain rounds are working pretty well. 2" groups at 100 yards is something I can work with. I'll be interested to see if I can get them tighter. Or the groups I can get at 200 yds.

Or if I can even see 200 yards.

I really appreciate the responder who discussed scopes. I'm saving that information for when I start getting itchy for a scope. For now, it's strictly iron sights. Basics first, then the improvements..........

Man, I'd also appreciate any other comments from serious shooters of the AK47, especially as it relates to accuracy of the rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 am 
Diamond Grade

AKs are far more accurate than the reputation they have for their accuracy says. It's never going to compete w/ a sub-MOA AR platform w/ a match grade bull barrel, but that's apples to oranges. Some do shoot very well, I think all of them shoot really well considering they aren't "accurized" like I see a lot with AR platform rifles.

Cameron

Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting, 12 ga
SA M1 Garand, 30-06
Remington 870 TAC-2, 12 ga
Winchester Model 24, 12 ga
Marlin 1895, 45-70 Govt
Ruger GP-100, 357 Mag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've never really measured any groups I've shot with my Romy. but i can say it is accurate enough that if you were a deer you wouldn't want me aiming at you inside of 100 yds. And as far as the round not being powerful enough, if it'll take a man out it'll take a deer. With proper bullet placement.

Mike

Post subject: Re: re: AK-47 accuracy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 pm 
Regional Reporter

laurus wrote:
I'm surprised at what I'm reading? Am I missing something?

I bought a Hungarian made ak47 about two months ago. After a little practice and front sight adjustments, I'm getting 2" groups at 100 yards.

I've barely put 100 rounds through this rifle, but I can attribute my earlier inaccuracy to my rusty shooting skills. I haven't fired a rifle since I left the Marines decades ago. After recalling and practicing what I learned at Parris Island, I'm getting consistent 2" groups. I'm ready to move back to 200 yds.

wow, thats really cool. i bought one years ago, it was romanian. man i couldnt get that thing to hit anywhere close to the same place twice. thats great. what i great gun you have. good post too.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

After shooting good groups at 100 yds, I tried moving back to 200 yds. Kept missing my target till I put up a 4x8 piece of plywood between the target and berm. I found my AK was still hitting a 2 - 2.5" group, but they were low and to the left. After adjusting the windage and elevation, I was consistently placing them in an 8" paper plate that was attached to a dirt filled, 25 gallong plant bucket.

I don't presume to be an expert on different rifles, or different manufacturers of the AK but this Hungarian one I have seems pretty accurate. I have no doubt there are more accurate rifles out there and the AK is not the best sniper rifle, but all this talk about it being NOT accurate and only good up to 100 yards - well, in my case, I don't agree.

I'll practice at 200 yds for awhile and then try 300. I can see the handwriting on the wall though. When I get back to 300, I'm going to be looking for a scope. TuJay's post will come in real handy at that point. All I have to do is squirrel away enough money for the scope and rail without the missus noticing.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Most AK accuracy problems can be corrected with proper hand loads.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD ... re=related

The AK platform is not known for superior accuracy, as outlined in this video, but rather, to be utterly reliable, ie. go bang every time. I'd agree that anything under 6 MOA is exceptional; those who are getting 2" groups, I'd be curious to know if they're 3, 5 or 10 shot groups.
As always, there's always exceptional examples of any gun. If I had a 2 MOA AK/SKS, I'd be holding on to it!
I talked to an old timer once who claimed he got MOA groups with foster slugs out of a model 12 :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 am 
Utility Grade

pumpgun wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0&feature=related

The AK platform is not known for superior accuracy, as outlined in this video, but rather, to be utterly reliable, ie. go bang every time. I'd agree that anything under 6 MOA is exceptional; those who are getting 2" groups, I'd be curious to know if they're 3, 5 or 10 shot groups.
As always, there's always exceptional examples of any gun. If I had a 2 MOA AK/SKS, I'd be holding on to it!
I talked to an old timer once who claimed he got MOA groups with foster slugs out of a model 12 :roll:

They're shooting at an awfully large target for 200 yds. Maybe to make their point, though. The M16 shots weren't very tight, that rifle is capable of much more than shown on the video. The AK missed the target completely, much as I was doing at 200. But once the windage/elevation was adjusted, I was nailing the 9" diam. bull I set up.

On the downside, I agree the sights are a little cumbersome, but I must be adjusting to them. A scope can't hurt. Right now my front sight post is awfully far to the left, but that may be more because everytime I've shot this AK, I'm dealing with winds between 10 - 20 knots. I can't wait for a calm day so I can set a 'zero.' I'm also surprised at how much I need to change the rifle's dope between 100 and 200 yds. I don't recall having to change it that much when I qualified with the M-14 and M-16 (I just gave away my age, didn't I?)

My groups have been three shot groups. I'm going to start doing 5 shot groups. Maybe those groups will spread out then.

What are your thoughts on the ammo Pumpgun? Wolf vs American Eagle vs other types. I've only fired Am. Eagle and Wolf, I seem to do better with the Eagle.

Finally, I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that ALL my shots are in 2 - 2 1/2" groups. I'm not that good of a shot. But when I really hunker down and get things right and tight, I can get those tight groups. I need a lot of practice, but that's the fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

laurus wrote:
What are your thoughts on the ammo Pumpgun? Wolf vs American Eagle vs other types. I've only fired Am. Eagle and Wolf, I seem to do better with the Eagle.

I'd want to be sure the domestic ammo is actually loaded with .311 bullets; it likely is if it's outshooting the Wolf.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 am 
Tournament Grade

What I find strange about this whole deal is: AK's are not designed for accuracy. Their original purpose was to sling more rounds at the enemy, faster, every time.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 am 
Diamond Grade

I've put together a few of the surplus kits and have shot some groups at 100 with open sites that are as good as most of my other milsurp rifles. Most of the blame for poor accuracy lies with the shooter. Here's a link to Surplus Rifle. dstorm wrote the article about a totally worn out kit he built and shows two 20 shot groups he shot with it, rapid fire. Of course he's a cut above the average shooter in his shooting ability. I hope I don't get in trouble with the mods for posting the link, but I am assuming this site is for sharing information on all the shooting sports.

Quote:
I really hate to hear people blame a gun for their inability to hit a target, once upon a time about 2 decades ago Uncle Sam depended on me to be able to hit a Man at ranges out to 800 yards with a single shot, this is how we used to deal with folks like Osama and Sadam etc... we didn't spend years "chasin em around the country side" ............ THIS is what a worn out Romanian AK shooting over the counter Wolf Military classic can do at 100 yards from a kneeling position properly using the sling with iron sights and a 15 mph crosswind this was two 20 round mags rapid fire

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=31796

The Democrats are running on change. Change = Redistribution of OPM, gun control, being friendly with terrorists, etc. As time passes this list will GROW.........I'm sure dismantling the military & censorship of opposition speech will appear here SOON.