CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All the left handed shotguns
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:21 am 
If you know of any left handed shotguns, I would like to know of make, model, and configurations...old or new (gauge, barrel length, weight, aprox. msrp, new or used and year of production etc. if you know). I know already of the benelli's, and how you can shoot o/u and sxs, but am on a quest to find a good left handed semi, pump or anything else. thanks

Post subject: Re: All the left handed shotguns
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:43 am 
Tournament Grade

Most of the major brands of semi auto come in LH is you are willing to pay a little extra. If you want a pump, get one with a thumb safety.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:14 am 
Utility Grade

I have been all down that road as I am a leftie. I was not aware that all the major brands will offer one, even for a price. If that is the case, what kind of a price are we talking about, roughly of course? The only two manufacturers that I know of with left handed models are Remington and Benelli. I used to own a left handed Rem. 1100 and was able to buy a 26" barrel for it but that was 20 yrs. ago. I am frustrated as I would like to buy a 12ga. but can't find one that really suits me. The Rem. I had would jam on me in foul weather (maybe my fault?) I love the way a SBE fits me and feels but I'm not interested in that much gun and I also want to shoot 7/8 oz. loads and I don't want a right handed semi-auto. The gun that I really like is a Beretta O/U. They seem to have excellent balance and shoulder well to me but the problem is the cast of the stock that all that I have seen have had. If anyone has any fix for this (other than throwing away new stock and having one made) please help. Yesterday I was shown a Weatherby Athena that I had never considered but was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the fit, the slim pistol grip, the low profile and the wide rib. I really know nothing about that gun but would like to look into it more (any opinions?).
Sorry about the long post, I've been following this board for a few weeks and really enjoy learning from you folks. I just haven't chimed in until now. Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm a southpaw and I would recommend the Beretta 391.

The cast can be set for lefties and the safety is reversible.

I've put almost 3k rounds through mine and the right side ejection hasn't fazed me in the least.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:18 pm 
There have been plenty of left-handed guns, and some are available on the surplus market.

Winchester made the 1400 in left-hand for a few years, and Zane's Gun Rack had one new-in-box not too long ago.

Remington made the 870 Wingmaster in LH in both 12 and 20 gauge. Examples of both are up for sale at Gunsamerica.com.

Savage made the model 30 in 12-gauge left hand from 1960 to 1964. One was available recently at auctionarms.com for only $99!! (It has sold already, unfortunately).

If you have $$$$, the firm of Grulla in Spain will make you a true left-hand sidelock double, best grade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Ithaca Model 37 with the bottom load and ejector. Wonderful gun. Proven, tested, lasts forever.

Safety can be reversed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm a lefty and shoot Beretta semi-autos. As mentioned earlier they come w/ shims to adjust the cast for us lefties. Also the safety can be switched from right to left in bout a minute. Also I've found the Browning BPS to work great for me. The safety is on the top of thestock and it ejects shells downward.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Remington makes 870 express LH, 12 ga. They also make a left handed 11-87. As stated earlier, Ithaca and Browning are bottom ejectors. Benelli also makes some left handed models; the M1 field, SBE, and Montefeltro. Being a leftie myself, I have no problem using right-handed shotguns. It's not as bad as one might think.

Good shooting & take it easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I think that Perazzi and Krieghoff also make left-handed versions of their over-and-under shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:43 pm 
who makes lefted handed shotguns? please reply with any information, if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:28 pm 
Hunting Expert
Hunting Expert

I have a left handed Merkel 204e I'll sell...I'll also oil bend it for a right hand shooter...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:08 pm 
I have a pair of Beesleys which were built for a Left Hander. They are numbered 1399 and 1400, and in their original box. They are side lock ejector sxs 12 bore. Number one has been completely restored by Purdey, the other has not because it's still is very good order. I'm a right hander and might part with them rather than have them re-cast to my dimensions. Anyone interested?
Thoughts?
Advice?
sam@kiley.biz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Browning and Mossberg spring to mind. It is said that as a rule of thumb that approx 10% of the world population are lefties like us. Some of us it is said are genius's whilst the rest of us are trowlling the internet looking for a left handed/left ejecting shotgun.It truley is a quest so may the force be with you.That's what happens when you find yourself in the minority. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm 
Crown Grade

My son shoots lefty (L eye dominant), so I've been down the road. MOST doubles, unless the stock is cast, will be fine, either o/u or SxS. Brownings BPS pump has top safety, bottom eject, no cast stock, truly an "ambidextrous" shotgun. People say the safety can be reversed on an Ithaca M-37. I believe Remington makes the 870 Wingmaster, 1100, and 11-87 in LH. Benelli makes several LH models.

A lot of lefties shoot rh guns with no reported issues. I've seen enough burning powder out an ejection port (mostly in the early days of steel shot) to have always bought my son LH guns, a SBE II, a BPS 10, an 1100 and a Rem 700 7mm mag. You don't need any unnecessary impediments to good shooting, and beside the burning powder residue issue, an awkward safety etc. is another issue to deal with.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bangdam wrote:
Browning and Mossberg spring to mind. It is said that as a rule of thumb that approx 10% of the world population are lefties like us. Some of us it is said are genius's whilst the rest of us are trowlling the internet looking for a left handed/left ejecting shotgun.It truley is a quest so may the force be with you.That's what happens when you find yourself in the minority. {hs#

I think in 8 years time the OP has found what he was looking for.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Browning offers a few of their o/u shotguns with left hand stocks.
I have a left hand Kolar for my trap gun, they offer 3 different left hand stock options plus a custom made just for you.
Just sold a nice left handed 1100 Trap, lefty guns are out there if you take the time to look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm 

marist89 wrote:
Bangdam wrote:

I think in 8 years time the OP has found what he was looking for.

Why do they do that?

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rifle shooting and shotgun shooting are two different beasts. Left eye dominate shotgun shooters are more than 10%, IMHO. Or should be if people shot their dominate eye. Right hand or left hand is not as important as which eye is dominate if you want to hit things. There's plenty of left handed people that shoot right hand because their right eye is dominate and same for right handed people.

The biggest problem is that most LH shooters don't demand LH guns from their local suppliers and settle for RH'ed guns. In most cases, you want a LH stock and its not necessary to have a full LH SG. So called neutral stocks are one size fits none, IMHO.

Look on the online auction sites for LH guns if you want to see what's out there, grasshopper.

But that said, most SxS shotguns can be shot by LH shooters if the stock is bend for proper cast. Some makers have true LH SxS versions with the opening lever reversed in opening direction, some reverse the triggers too. Not everyone likes that, I've got both RH and LH lever SxS SG's.

O/U guns are same. Single trigger O/U guns work for everyone if they are fitted. Safeties worked by thumb on many brands is uni-hand. Get the right stock and no problems. Ditto with some guns available with LH levers.

Semi-auto's and pump SG's have come and gone in LH versions. Some designs makes that impossible and need to be bypassed. My own wished for gun is finding one of the Fabarms LH semi's at a decent price, but haven't been lucky so far. Some Turkey made semi's came in LH receivers and if found are low-cost and very workable guns.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am 
Limited Edition

The Beretta O/U can be ordered with a left-hand stock, but be prepared to wait for a while. The other option is to call Mark DeHaan at www.dhshotguns.com and order a custom gun from him. I have a 28 ga O/U and a 20 ga SxS that fit me better than any gun I have ever owned. The prices are very reasonable, and his service is top-notch - i.e. he supports what he sells, and is a man of his word.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

USAFA71 wrote:
The Beretta O/U can be ordered with a left-hand stock, but be prepared to wait for a while. The other option is to call Mark DeHaan at http://www.dhshotguns.com and order a custom gun from him. I have a 28 ga O/U and a 20 ga SxS that fit me better than any gun I have ever owned. The prices are very reasonable, and his service is top-notch - i.e. he supports what he sells, and is a man of his word.

Yeah, I've got a LH DeHaan SGr in 12 gauge with 2 barrel sets, was ordered by someone that didn't complete the deal. So I got it at a very decent deal. Mark takes the guns as they come in from Huglu and then tunes the trigger pulls and does other special once over tweaks that you won't expect normally expect to get from a lower $ gun. Be warned, if you look at the Grade IV and V wood plus special engraving that you can order, the price can go out the window. :shock:

TRImports also has LH Huglu's. They've got a LH 104A O/U 30" barrels that might do the deal and the price is right too. (<$600)

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin