CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best shot size for squirrels?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:45 am 
Field Grade

I've used #6's (low and high brass) for tree doggies with decent success but I've heard people say that #5's are better- longer range, more killing power downrange. Anybody find this to be true? What about meat damage?
Also- the only #5's I find at the stores are for pheasant hunting usually and they are $$$. Any cheap #5 loads available?

Post subject: Re: Best shot size for squirrels?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't know of any sources for cheap #5 shot, it is more of a specialty load these days and one pays accordingly. I always found #6 shot to be fine for squirrels though I did reload lead 5s for years as my all 'round pheasant/duck/rabbit/squirrel/ crow/ etc. load. I don't recall meat loss being any more or any less than with 6s. I found 6s to be fine for squirrels out to 30+ yards which was about as far as I would shoot at them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

AT,
Federal makes a Hi-Power load in #5s. I've found when rabbit or squill hunting,that the larger shot will usually pass all the way through. I've had to pick out 6s and 7 1/2s or lose a tooth!

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:29 pm 
Field Grade

You will find that #5 shot will give you less meat damage than #6, there are fewer pellets to put holes in the meat, it will also give you 5-10 extra yrds killing range but a less dense pattern. I have also found #5,s hard to come by almost a special order now. Where I live now I use a .22lr for squirrel, #6 for rabbit and don't have any phesant to hunt so I get by without #5shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

^77 been using 410ga,1/2 n#6 last two years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:05 pm 
Limited Edition

i like the 2 3/4" #5 federal wing shok loads. even at 50 yards it plows em dead. i find i get pretty good patterns. good shells.

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use a 22 short, shoot em in the head, don't waste any meat that way.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:09 am 
Tournament Grade

I dont shoot to many with a scatter gun ,but when I do I use a 20 6's in the open barrel and 4's in the modified. Seems to work for me.if Iam using the ol' 20 H&R, 6's all the way. I worked out some loades for a full choked 12 ,it just wasnt fun , shot too much like a rifle and made a mess even with 1 oz. of 4's. Never liked the .410 , some people do,and do very well with it. never tried a 28. If you can find the shells a 16 with 11/8 of 5's is a stone killer on most furry small game. Hammer

Tournament Grade

I dont shoot to many with a scatter gun ,but when I do I use a 20 6's in the open barrel and 4's in the modified. Seems to work for me.if Iam using the ol' 20 H&R, 6's all the way. I worked out some loades for a full choked 12 ,it just wasnt fun , shot too much like a rifle and made a mess even with 1 oz. of 4's. Never liked the .410 , some people do,and do very well with it. never tried a 28. If you can find the shells a 16 with 11/8 of 5's is a stone killer on most furry small game. Hammer

Tournament Grade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I like 8's for the grays and 6's for the foxes. With 5's you may not have enough pattern density if you hunt in tall timber.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:12 am 
Limited Edition

Im no detective, but I think Hammer man dosen't shoot to many with a scattergun :lol:
sorry, just pokin fun at computer goof ups

Early season means heavy cover, I prefer the 22 but if Im shooting into a tree shot seems safer. I don't have a 20 so Ugmo might get some early feild use. If I can find the right shell. I also heard from some old guy that wing - waterfoul loads work great. But this is steel shot yes? I don't waterfoul (yet) but I was under the impression steel is a limitation in range.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:59 am 
Field Grade

I have found that here in NY the big shot works great in the early season. Last year early season all I used was 5 outta a single 12. Late season when the rats are on teh ground I used 71/2 outta a 20. Do what works and what you like, if your comfortable throwing a hand fulla rock do that, you'll find that you'll shoot what your used to better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

3.5" - 10 gauge - 00 buck :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Any shot size from 71/2 down to size bb will get the job done on squirrels I usually use high brass 4,5,6 just like do for pheasants sometimes I shoot them both in the same hunt. Just use a resonable size not to small not to big with a modified choke and have at it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

It's been a while since I hunted squirrell, since moving to TX from LA. No trees, No squirrells :roll: ...but back in the day, we used high brass 4's. The shot would usually go all the way through the meat and hang in the skin on the other side. That way when you clean them, you don't have to dig the little beggars out of the meat. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:56 pm 
Field Grade

Hi there,

I will use Rem Express Long Range #5 in 20ga, when the leaves are up. I will also use the same load if, I know them to be in the tall trees. Otherwise the Rem game loads for 20ga are good if they are on the ground. Those are 7/8oz, I get them in 6 shot. Haven't tried the Federal or Winchesters loads that are similar. I also belive that Estate offers a fair range in 16 or 20ga, they might be worth a peek aswell. Can't wait til Sept 1, when bushytail season starts up again.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

1/2 oz of 7.5 copper plated shot moving at 1300fps out of my Winchester 9410. Does a number on them and the copper plating keeps from pulling the hair into the meat and the extra velocity help more of the pellets get clean throught the squirrel.

mcb

Post subject: re: Best shot size for squirrels?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

high brass 7-1/2's early in the season.......high brass 5's late

Post subject: re: Best shot size for squirrels?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

6 & 7-1/2 lead.